P51 engine managment

nikita_nomad

Hi guys, can anyone advice me on proper engine management? For 2 days in a row when I flew a default mission I would kill the engine. I did warm it prior departure and flew on cruise according to limitations. Around 27 rpm and about 45-46 mp. After about 20 min engine just dies, in the log it says engine overrevved. Is it a module bug or am I doing it wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Update: I noticed the mission weather is only +4 C, and during flight, carb. temperature dropped below green mark. Is it related? Should I warm engine more on ground before take off under certain weather conditions?

Edited by nikitatattoo

Forget about carb. temp. Just ignore it, it is something what you can not change and it have not influence on damage engine. There is no icing conditions in DCS W.

Do you perform any oil dilute before you start engine? Oil at 4°C is too cold and after start, oil pressure will be too hight. Try it for 15-20sec.

What is usualy your speed during that 20 mins before engine dies? What is your oil and coolant controls setting? And of course oil and coolant temperatures during that 20 mins?

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Hi guys, can anyone advice me on proper engine management? For 2 days in a row when I flew a default mission I would kill the engine. I did warm it prior departure and flew on cruise according to limitations. Around 27 rpm and about 45-46 mp. After about 20 min engine just dies, in the log it says engine overrevved. Is it a module bug or am I doing it wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Update: I noticed the mission weather is only +4 C, and during flight, carb. temperature dropped below green mark. Is it related? Should I warm engine more on ground before take off under certain weather conditions?

Pls try provide more info, foe example what does mean warm up in you book, you should be taking off with 60C coolant and 40C oil.

Another thing, did you take off using max rpm or lower rpm. and what MP you get.

Did you noticed any speed drop before engine fail. What kind of engine fail was it. Instant engine stop or just lost of power.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Forget about carb. temp. Just ignore it, it is something what you can not change and it have not influence on damage engine. There is no icing conditions in DCS W.

Do you perform any oil dilute before you start engine? Oil at 4°C is too cold and after start, oil pressure will be too hight. Try it for 15-20sec.

What is usualy your speed during that 20 mins before engine dies? What is your oil and coolant controls setting? And of course oil and coolant temperatures during that 20 mins?

Carb temp, we can change carb temp via carb heat handle

If it comes to diluting oil, you doing it after engine start up, to make quick take off, with diluting you can take off with 15C oil w/o exceeding oil pressure limit.

Diluting oil with engine stopped will create concentrated volume of fuel in single place and this is not good idea, you want to dilute oil gradually while oil is circulating in oil system.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ti4KCTfC.png Views:\t0 Size:\t145.5 KB ID:\t7115310","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7115310","data-size":"full","title":"i4KCTfC.png"}[/ATTACH]wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

4C ambient temp is far from extreme cold weather, so oil dilution isn't necessary here.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Controls on auto and temps all in green, or at least below the red zone. I haven't tried to dilute tbh. My personal suspicion is that I overlooked RPM and mp at some point.. In the debrief it sait engine overrevved. What does it mean?

For me it can mean only 2 things, that you was flying with too high rpm for MP(3000rpm and throttle cut out.). Which mean extreme under boost.

ED was talking about main bearings damage after engine being under boosted. But i'm not sure if V12 suffer from this.

Another option is that this log is just broken.

You cant over rev engine in P-51, unless you got your governor knocked out in fight.

Edited by grafspee

Pls try provide more info, foe example what does mean warm up in you book, you should be taking off with 60C coolant and 40C oil.

Another thing, did you take off using max rpm or lower rpm. and what MP you get.

Did you noticed any speed drop before engine fail. What kind of engine fail was it. Instant engine stop or just lost of power.

40 and 60 was there. Took off on max RPM but didn't check mp, it was full throttle. During cruise was no indications, all temps were in green(I think). Both times engine froze and prop wasn't spinning. Debrief said engine overrevved...

40 and 60 was there. Took off on max RPM but didn't check mp, it was full throttle. During cruise was no indications, all temps were in green(I think). Both times engine froze and prop wasn't spinning. Debrief said engine overrevved...

Sudden engine seizure is very common for engine fail while flying over boosted. But over revved this is first time i see it :)

if you took off with throttle full this mean 61"3000rpm. Could you possibly reduce rpm before reducing MP after take off?

Sudden engine seizure is very common for engine fail while flying over boosted. But over revved this is first time i see it :)

if you took off with throttle full this mean 61"3000rpm. Could you possibly reduce rpm before reducing MP after take off?

could be, im not entirely sure. ill have to fly a bit more and see what happens. i'll also pay more attention to mp and rpm. but overall i've seen quite a few posts about mustangs engine failures

Well, that's a common mistake among new P-51 users, me included, many years ago.

The P-51 is a fast thing, but it is a misconception that these warbirds are always full throttle on. They are not. They are overpowered beasts, as someone put it, and you need to take care of the engine. Good care.

Once you enter the cockpit, if you look at the right, you'll find the Engine Limitations plate. It shows all the limitations the engine has om MP and on RPM. Flying 2700 rpm and mp at 46 inches is only for takeoffs and climbs. Once climbing and gear raised, you have to change to 2400 rpm and 36" MP, per the maximum cruise table.

The only gauge you must keep an eye all the time is the Oil temperature gauge. Don't trust the Automatic Radiator controls, they are very poor to control engine temperature at takeoffs, climbs, dogfighting and ground attack. I only leave them on Auto during cruise and landings.

The overrev condition maybe the effect of overtemping the engine; in overtemp the governor stops working and the engine overrev.

Carb temp does not matter. Oil temp (on the tri engine gauge) is life for you. Although the table says 2700 rpm and 46" MP for maximum continuous, this condition depends on the Oil temperature.If the engine is cool, or better, in the greenzone, you can push the engine to the max continuous. However, remember that you've just took off and climbed, the engine is already stressed and with a high temperature. So, it is better to get level, run the engine at cruise settings and let it cool down.

Here is a video by the Grim Reapers showing how NOT damage your P-51 engine. (I know the Grim Reapers are not the best teachers out there, but for a simple explanation it will do).

Aaaannndd...for a deep explanation of things, I highly recommend Chuck's Guides on the P-51:

https://www.mudspike.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/DCS%20P-51D%20Guide.pdf

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

For take off you need to use 3000rpm and at least 50" of MP, in order to clear engine after ground operations.

You take off always with rpm handle full forward.

Carb temp does not matter. Oil temp (on the tri engine gauge) is life for you. Although the table says 2700 rpm and 46" MP for maximum continuous, this condition depends on the Oil temperature. If the engine is cool, or better, in the greenzone, you can push the engine to the max continuous. However, remember that you've just took off and climbed, the engine is already stressed and with a high temperature. So, it is better to get level, run the engine at cruise settings and let it cool down.

After take off you reduce MP to 46" then reduce rpm to 2700rpm and you climb to cruising alt, then you drop to cruise power settings.

I've flown P-51 in dcs at military power from take off to 42k ft w/o any engine fail.

You need to watch oil temp, but only in hot day, this mission has 4C only so no problem with oil temp.

Mission log said engine overrevved so maybe you slammed throttle too fast and you did overrevved engine at take off. Try to apply 46" at beginning and then add up to 61"

Thanks for all the input guys,appreciate it. In regards to radiator contols,should i have them open all the time, except cruise? I saw a video of spudknocker and noticed he had them open as well during ground attack

In my opinion Radiators do fine on auto, I personally open coolant radiator before take off, and before when i expect to slow down rapidly(for example when i am about to go vertical to catch guy which went vertical as well :))

Oil radiator i leave on auto all the time, i've never ever encounter any problems here, cooling is sufficient, i never saw oil temp going beyond red line.

My only concern is overall coolant cooling efficiency, P-51 really starts to struggle keeping coolant under red line when temp is above 20C, if you let coolant on AUTO before take off if it will shoot beyond red line coolant temp.

In hot day at high alt you cant do anything by flying straight at full power, if you slow down, try any dog fight even with all coolers wide open you will cook.

At 4C ambient temp problems with cooling should not appear yet.

In my opinion Radiators do fine on auto, I personally open coolant radiator before take off, and before when i expect to slow down rapidly(for example when i am about to go vertical to catch guy which went vertical as well :))

Oil radiator i leave on auto all the time, i've never ever encounter any problems here, cooling is sufficient, i never saw oil temp going beyond red line.

My only concern is overall coolant cooling efficiency, P-51 really starts to struggle keeping coolant under red line when temp is above 20C, if you let coolant on AUTO before take off if it will shoot beyond red line coolant temp.

In hot day at high alt you cant do anything by flying straight at full power, if you slow down, try any dog fight even with all coolers wide open you will cook.

At 4C ambient temp problems with cooling should not appear yet.

yeah I did notice that if outside temps are around 20C it does get warm a lot quicker and keeps me more paranoid. However in a colder environment I don't have to keep checking every 2 min. I never expected it would be so much to manage in it :) But hopefully its a good practise before i try out jets

yeah I did notice that if outside temps are around 20C it does get warm a lot quicker and keeps me more paranoid. However in a colder environment I don't have to keep checking every 2 min. I never expected it would be so much to manage in it :) But hopefully its a good practise before i try out jets

The warbirds are good practice all right. Learning to fly them with all the torques, forces, reactions, etc, is valuable, is where you really learn how to be a good pilot. Warbirds are hard to fly and easy on the systems, modern jets like the F-16, F-18 are easy to fly, hard on the systems.

The warbirds are good practice all right. Learning to fly them with all the torques, forces, reactions, etc, is valuable, is where you really learn how to be a good pilot. Warbirds are hard to fly and easy on the systems, modern jets like the F-16, F-18 are easy to fly, hard on the systems.

Yeah, to be honest manuals for some modules scare me. Just the amount of reading. Do you think its worth to try flaming cliffs style first? Or go straight with full fidelity? And which module you think would be best for beginner?

Yeah, to be honest manuals for some modules scare me. Just the amount of reading. Do you think its worth to try flaming cliffs style first? Or go straight with full fidelity? And which module you think would be best for beginner?

Go full fidelity. Might be a bit scary at first, but in the end quite rewarding.

And which one for a beginner: That totally depends what you are interested in. I could recommend you the F-5 for example, but if you like props more then it's just "wasted".

But my rule of thumb: The older the tech, the "easier" it is.

Go full fidelity. Might be a bit scary at first, but in the end quite rewarding.

And which one for a beginner: That totally depends what you are interested in. I could recommend you the F-5 for example, but if you like props more then it's just "wasted".

Agree, early jets require some special care for engine, like mig-21, f-86, f-5, mig-15,f-14 those require some engine management, but newer planes like f-18 f-16, harrier, those are almost fool proof in engine management department.

Weapon systems become extremely complex in more modern jets.

Interesting since I believe time ago (quite a time TBH) I got into a cloud in a rainy day and my engine stopped. Always thought is was a frozen carb.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Well, a FC3 module would be good to start your familiarization with modern jets. Something like the F-15C is very nice to that.

But, if you want a full fidelity module, I recomend the A-10 C II. It is a very easy jet to fly and to land, the systems are hard to master, but once you do in the A-10C, the other jets like F-18, F-16, AV-8B become very easy. Not because they are easier than the A-10, but the foundations for system management learned from the A-10 apply to all aircraft. Also, the A-10C II is the module currently more complete (from ED that is). There are modules way more complex in systems like the F-14 and the Viggen, but I do not recommend these for the beginners.

Yeah,cheers for the input. I was thinking about f5 myself. to be honest i find tons of weapon options a bit overwhelming. i much rather study the flying part at the moment and keep my weapons more simple. later on when im comfortable with units, aaa, missions etc. I could dive into more complicated systems.

Here's how I fly the TF-51D. Take the Hot Start from Batumi. Set 5 degree rudder (map trim reset to hotas), hold the stick back centered, and taxi out. Make sure prop RPM is set to Max. Gently advance throttle until you are rolling and slowly allow the stick to come forward (approx. below the green zone on the throttle gauge.) Advance throttle until mid way through the green and you should be airborne without much stick input. Raise gear and reset trim once you are in controlled flight. Now. set the throttle and prop rpms such that the needles are exactly in the middle of the green. You have to play with them both until you get them centered. The Mustang should be in excellent trim at this point, and all you need to do is fly the plane. Do not touch the throttle until you are on approach for landing. I like to fly up to Goti, and go river racing. Rules are you must stay between the banks and below the treetops as much as possible. With the needles centered in the green like that you should be able to race all the way up and down the river with enough fuel to just reach Batumi. If not, the Mustang lands quite nicely in a field with full flaps without engine power. :)

Yeah,cheers for the input. I was thinking about f5 myself. to be honest i find tons of weapon options a bit overwhelming. i much rather study the flying part at the moment and keep my weapons more simple. later on when im comfortable with units, aaa, missions etc. I could dive into more complicated systems.

Modern weapons systems are not at all complex. Just stuff to remember but easy to achieve results. The F5 will be a major challenge just to get a bomb on target. Switching from A2G to A2A mode in an older jet is trickier than in a Gen 4, where one press gets A2A mode. F/A18 and F-16 are easier by far to be successful in. That said the F-5 is more fun to fly and its really satisfying when you are successful.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg