For those that fly the bf109 and dora

GR00VYJERRY

What is your opinion? What is the better all around fighter? I can fly the spitfire and p51 mustang well but I can’t dogfight with bf109 well at all no matter how much time I put in it. I want to have a German plane to fly so I can at least have one plane on each side. Should I just stick it out with the 109 or should i give the Dora a try?

If you like the Mustang, then you will probably like the Dora too. They are somewhat somewhere similar, kind off.

But to be honest, the K4 is rather easy to fight with, IMO easier than the D9 (and A8 ). Maybe time to change strategy and fly "like it was inteded to be flown" (I don't know how you fly it, but since you flew only Spit/Pony before, I suspect you aren't using it to it's full potential)

I have both planes (and the A8 also ).

I have never been able to warm up to the Dora. It's not a turn plane at all - at least in DCS. If you lose energy you are practically defenceless it seems - unless you get lucky enough to be able to run away.

The 109 I like a lot. I find it kind of between the Spit and the Mustang. I feel I could do a lot more with it than I am currently with more focused seat team. It did take a bit of time to warm up to but I think it was more to getting back into flight sims after 25+ years and it being a "non-trivial" plane in DCS moreso than anything.

If you are looking to buy a German airplane that flies and fights somewhat more like the Spit or Mustang stick with the 109. The Dora will disappoint from that perspective.

I'm far from proficient in any of these but that's my impressions currently.

When I fly the 109. If I get in to a prolonged turn fight, I find she has hard time turning right. Maybe I will spend more time flying the 109 and just get better instead of buying the Dora. I was able to get much more proficient at dogfighting with the mustang and spitfire much faster than the 109 though.

The 109 is good for dueling, which is what most online combat is because of the pathetically low attendance....

But if it's a simulation of WW2 combat, where both sides have multiple aircraft, and there is a possibility of coordinated tactics, then the 190D-9 is the clear choice. The 109 can barely maneuver at 600kph indicated, while the Dora maneuvers like a feather at that speed and beyond.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

What is your opinion? What is the better all around fighter? I can fly the spitfire and p51 mustang well but I can’t dogfight with bf109 well at all no matter how much time I put in it. I want to have a German plane to fly so I can at least have one plane on each side. Should I just stick it out with the 109 or should i give the Dora a try?

The 109K4 is hands down better. It turns way better, climbs better, accelerates better, manuevers at slow speeds way better. For dogfighting the 109K4 is better by far.

The FW190D9 is easier to control at high speed, carries more ammo, has more cannons and can fly for longer before needing to refuel.

Come to think of it, the only real thing that bugs me about the 109 is it is light on the amount of ammo it carries. That said, potential to hone your gunnery skills (accuracy) is there as a result.

Nothing touches the Spit in a turning fight but the 109 isn't far behind.

• 1 month later...

I gave up the warbirds in Il-2 quite some time ago and went on learning to fly jets in DCS and the other sim.

This year i could not longer stay away from this stuff and bought the channel map and my favourite warbird the Dora.

Sadly i must say that this is the first module in my simlifetime (which is a long one...) i am not able to handle to my satisfaction.

Perhaps it is decreased level of skills, but I am dissapointed and wonder if i should try the 109 or P-47.

Intel i5-11400 CPU @ 4.30GHz / ASUS Prime B560-Plus / 32GB DDR3 RAM 3000 Mhz Dual / MSI Nvidia GTX  1060 6GB /  SSD Samsung 120/250/500GB  / IIyama  27" 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz / Track IR 4+Track Clip Pro / Sennheiser PC 360 / Thrustmaster Warthog Throttel , VPC-Warbrd D+Warthog Stick, TFRP Rudder / WIN 10

Ever tried. Sometimes failed. No matter. Try again.Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett (?)

• 2 weeks later...

I fly only in SP, because I need the labels to spot bandits. With the Bf-109 I can beat the Mustang, P-47 and Spit. With the Dora I find it almost impossible to beat the Spit. Mustang and P-47 are manageable, but don't forgive tactical errors. The Bf-109 gives me the best chance. It has speed and turn capability.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5