Aux Tank Question

Thumper152

I'm a bit confused here in regards to the 300 liter external drop tank and the 115 liter aux tank that may be fitted behind the bulkhead according to the ED A-8 manual. Is the aux tank modeled and usable? Also, I have a bit of confusion about the fuel tank pump switchology. The ED manual says when using the drop tank you flip on the external tank pump E16 breaker. However in chucks guides and in several videos I have seen them say to use the aux tank pump breaker E96. So which is it?

The Auxiliary fuel tank is modeled, you must set additional fuel in the ME.

When you have fuel in it, you will see when set draw fuel from rear fuel tank that needle showing fuel quantity of fuel inside rear (Hinten) fuel tank does not move for first 10 minutes of flight at full power, for lower power settings will it took longer. The needle moves nearly immediately when no fuel is in the Aux fuel tank.

What is wrong with this is C/B for it. It does not matter if it is close or open position, fuel pump in the Aux fuel tank works always. I am sure it worked correctly in past, but...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Correct me if i wrong, dont think it is so deep modeld right now. But from what i remember, the drop Tank will pump the Fuel direct in your rear Tank. There is no feeding Line direct to the Engine from the Drop Tank. First 10 Min or so you have first to drain the rear Tank to create enough space for the Fuel from the Drop Tank. Aux Tank is this 115 Liter Barrel behind the Bulkhead that is also installed in the 109, what can either hold Fuel in the Case of the A8 or MW50 for the 109. was installed to increase the Range.

Edit also didnt notice the AUX tank was working,thx Saburo

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Both additional fuel tanks (Aux and external) are connected to the rear fuel tank (through T-join connection), with something like "one-way valve" to prevent fuel from one additional tank to go to the second.

Something like "flow limiter" is instaled in both feed lines from additional tanks, so perhaps there is no need to create enough space in the rear fuel tank for fuel from them.

When fuel quantity gauge shows less than 240 liters in the rear fuel tank, than you know that your external or Aux tank is empty. That is what i remember...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

• 3 months later...

Hi. It looks like 115 litres tank is in manual just in case but has never been implemented in module. On your other question: Yes, A-8`s fuel system is not straightforward even after reading manual....but I figured it out. What we want is to deplete external tank as first, right? that would not happen under default levers and circuits settings. 

You need to do this: 

1. Select FRONT FUEL TANK CLOSED selector lever [second position from top out of 4 ]

2. Keep rear tank pump ON

3. Turn OFF front fuel tank pump

4. Turn ON external tank pump.

5. switch fuel gauge needle for rear tank

6 Take off and fly

7. Once fuel in rear tank will drop from 290L to 240L fuel from external will start to feed it so needle will stay on 240L for long time before the rest of the tank will get depleted. Then turn OFF ext. tank fuel pump and drop the tank if you like...but you don`t have to.

8. Once rear fuel tank is almost depleted, switch front tank pump ON and keep rear pump ON as well. Move fuel selector leaver to topmost position.

9 Now the rest of rear tank will keep getting depleted while front pump will keep pumping from front tank, too.

10. Switch fuel gauge needle for front tank

11. You will keep running on front tank only. You can turn OFF rear tank circuit breaker if you want.

I was puzzled as well by  fuel transfer system...so dived into it in manual, tested in DCS and found that this approach works. Good Luck!

Edited by Rainbowgirl
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rainbowgirl said:

Hi. It looks like 115 litres tank is in manual just in case but has never been implemented in module. 

Auxiliary fuel tank is implemented, but empty by default. Plus, the only way to fill it is by enabling it in the mission editor in the special setting thing for the plane.

10 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Auxiliary fuel tank is implemented, but empty by default. Plus, the only way to fill it is by enabling it in the mission editor in the special setting thing for the plane.

Thank you for correction. Never flew it in single player or under special settings so never realised that.