The Anton rocks, plain and simple.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schenker View Post
    This. It's just a bit disappointing when most reports say the Spit and the Anton were very evenly matched and it was marketed as such. Of course I've never flown one but from what you can read up on the planes I expected the Anton to just be overall "better".
    The FW190 and spitfire were constantly being improved to compete with each other. We have the spitfire 9 which was the British counter to the FW190A8. So of course the A8 does not do well. But we also have the Dora which was what the Germans did with the FW190 to make it competative again.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapage View Post
      The FW190 and spitfire were constantly being improved to compete with each other. We have the spitfire 9 which was the British counter to the FW190A8. So of course the A8 does not do well. But we also have the Dora which was what the Germans did with the FW190 to make it competative again.
      Spit IX was rushed as a stop gap while Spit VIII was still not ready. Initially it faced FW-190A3 variants and later 190-A5s. These were much lighter and nimbler than the FW-190A8. So the classic matchup is Spit IX vs FW190A3–A7.

The FW-190A8 is a later model, that by the time it entered service, the Spit IX was being partly replaced by Spit XIV (though IX sub variants lasted till the end of the war). The A8 was not meant to be a better fighter - it was meant to be a better bomber destroyer after it was clear that ME-110/210/410 were not up to the task.

It would be nice if we could opt to remove the outer wing guns in order to lighten it for a pure fighter role. While the Dora is a wonderful fighter, a real classic FW is a radial.
      Last edited 04-28-2020, 08:41 PM.
      “Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito”
      - Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

Comment

Originally posted by Schenker View Post
        This. It's just a bit disappointing when most reports say the Spit and the Anton were very evenly matched and it was marketed as such. Of course I've never flown one but from what you can read up on the planes I expected the Anton to just be overall "better".
        What I could read up about the anton is that its more heavy with similar engine power so I wonder if those reports did cover every little detail.

I mean I am not an expert but I guess its also possible that a pair of MG151 or other heavy "not essential parts" of the bird had been removed to increase their overal performance in dogfights against the spitfire IX when it was necessary. Like how could they have a chance when according to the technical spreadsheets available the A8 had about +800kg weight to carry with similar engine porwer.

For example I have read that the cover plates of the landing gears had been removed from the Bf-109 in some situation or there had been Ace pilots who asked one pair of their MG to be removed to gain additional performance to help them in dogfights.

Beside the comparison reports might not take the pilots combat experience under consideration.
        Last edited 04-28-2020, 10:35 PM.
        FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Comment

Originally posted by Bozon View Post
          Spit IX was rushed as a stop gap while Spit VIII was still not ready. Initially it faced FW-190A3 variants and later 190-A5s. These were much lighter and nimbler than the FW-190A8. So the classic matchup is Spit IX vs FW190A3–A7.

The FW-190A8 is a later model, that by the time it entered service, the Spit IX was being partly replaced by Spit XIV (though IX sub variants lasted till the end of the war). The A8 was not meant to be a better fighter - it was meant to be a better bomber destroyer after it was clear that ME-110/210/410 were not up to the task.

It would be nice if we could opt to remove the outer wing guns in order to lighten it for a pure fighter role. While the Dora is a wonderful fighter, a real classic FW is a radial.
          This. But I also think it should be marketed as a bomber destroyer by ED. Right now they sell it as a nice tool against the Spitfire and I dont think thats very nice towards folks to are looking to buy a nice dogfighter. Right now they can at least test it for free to see thats just plain wrong... still not very nice.
          Last edited 04-28-2020, 11:02 PM.
          Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,
          Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,
          Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Comment

I had the opportunity to test it thanks to the free trial programme.

When I first bought the P-51D years ago, I was so impressed with the quality of the cockpit and the exterior model, which was my first contact. Then with the flight model of course. The sound was good, included the famous whistle, but the Merlin's music was not entirely there yet.

I'm impressed again with this module, the high resolution textures, the sound - even the engine's, the handling gives an increased feeling of realism - hard to explain exactly why, less distraction from the immersion I suppose.

Perhaps the sound is especially important (at least for me). For example, now that the Spitfire has a great set of engine sounds, it's much more enjoyable too.

And that'll be amplified even more with the damage model, I'm sure.

Well done!
            Last edited 05-02-2020, 07:26 PM. Reason: removed source of unnecessary debate
            System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Comment

Originally posted by Redglyph View Post
              I had the opportunity to test it thanks to the free trial programme.

When I first bought the P-51D years ago, I was so impressed with the quality of the cockpit and the exterior model, which was my first contact. Then with the flight model of course. The sound was good, except the engine, but it already had the whistle under G forces when the air is rushed through the air scoop.

I'm impressed again with this module, the high resolution textures, the sound - even the engine's, the handling gives an increased feeling of realism - hard to explain exactly why, less distraction from the immersion I suppose.

Perhaps the sound is especially important (at least for me). For example, now that the Spitfire has a great set of engine sounds, it's much more enjoyable too.

And that'll be amplified even more with the damage model, I'm sure.

Well done!
              Whistle comes, from inboard gun ports, not the air scoop. Ask any P-51 pilot.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by grafspee View Post
                Whistle comes, from inboard gun ports, not the air scoop. Ask any P-51 pilot.
                Let's not discuss that here. You can choose to believe what you want, that wasn't the point of my post.
                System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Comment

Numbers don’t determine who wins in air combat as much as the pilot. The Anton is loads of fun and has one clear advantage, roll rate, which a good pilot take advantage of by forcing scissor situations and bring able to jink out of plane and force overshoots well. It is also very responsive at high speeds like dives, which is great for more realistic bounce tactics that don’t really happen in DCS. And it takes lots of punishment. I’m happy we have the Anton and it’s a very fun bird when flown to it’s strength.
                  Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | Genovation 683U | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Comment

Where did much of the weight increase come from in the A-8 versus the older A-3 thru 5?
                    F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFox View Post
                      Where did much of the weight increase come from in the A-8 versus the older A-3 thru 5?

I have read the history of the FW-190 not so long ago and my guess is tha a part of it might come from the different armaments.

The A8 had 4xMG151 on the wings while the older models from A3 mostly used only 2XMG151 and 2xMGFF(lot lighter than the MG151) and for example the A3 used MG17 what was also lighter than the MG131 used on the A8. I think some model had smaller internal fuel capacity .

The A8 also carried more bigger caliber ammunition obviously so it also adds to its flight weight.

Some additional weight must come from somewhere else reading the original data sheets and comparing the weights between different models so I would guess that these extra weights might come from additional armor protection .
                      Last edited 05-10-2020, 02:59 PM.
                      FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Comment

Originally posted by Redglyph View Post
                        Let's not discuss that here. You can choose to believe what you want, that wasn't the point of my post.
                        But it is correct!

Comment

The Anton rocks +1

I love to cold start the plane and just roam around the channel map.
                          How to achieve high framerates in VR
                          VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Comment

get the horrido campaign if you have the channel map. it's awesome
                            RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Comment

Working...
                            X