Video Series: Identical Opponents (me against the AI)

Doc3908

I am starting a series of videos flying different DCS airframes against the exact same aircraft type flown by the AI. These will be guns-only engagements. The AI will be set to "veteran" in all videos. Two rounds per video followed by a landing.

The first video is a MiG-15bis vs. MiG-15bis engagement:

Edited by Doc3908

Here's the F-14B vs. F-14B fight. This was much more challenging than many of the other fights - partly because I haven't flown the Tomcat in months and I've totally lost the feel for it (...a human opponent would have dispatched me easily). That said, the Tomcat AI definitely seems to out-turn, out-accelerate, out-climb, out-dive me unlike many other airframes where the AI is just inept even at "ace" level.

Edited by Doc3908

I really struggle to keep visual on the enemy. How are you doing that?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I really struggle to keep visual on the enemy. How are you doing that?

Well... I try to, but don't alway succeed. I play exclusively in VR (my monitor is an ancient 1080p thing), so keeping visual requires physical exertion - I actually get tired and my neck hurts after playing for an hour. So, I try to anticipate which way the opponent will turn. With AI, it's pretty easy to anticipate them. It usually goes like this: We merge, then the AI usually goes up and comes for a second merge. Then then dive for speed (not always, but often). In a close fight, they try to scissor (vertical or horizontal), and if they detect that they are losing, they go up (and they have no limitations when going up).

The fun of playing against people is that you cannot anticipate them (unless you've played against them many times) and really need to keep a good visual on the opponent at all times. Overall, playing against people is a completely different experience compared to playing against AI. My biggest problem playing against people is that most online players do not use VR and can, therefore, look behind at the click of a button without any physical exertion. Many play on high-res 4K monitors, which makes visually acquiring the enemy easier at a greater distance compared to the low-res rendering in VR (I have an Oculus Rift S). So, I very rarely go online - playing against the AI presents its own challenges to keep me on my toes. :)

Thanks, helps my understanding.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

After the P-47, naturally, it's the P51D's turn. Frankly, the Pony never really clicked with me - I have the fewest hours in it compared to almost any other DCS plane. Still, it's fun to take her our for a spin once in a while, and this test wouldn't be complete without her in the mix. So, here is P-51D vs. P-51D:

Edited by Doc3908

They are not identical. The AI uses a simplified flight model.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

They are not identical. The AI uses a simplified flight model.

Point well taken. There is no such thing as "identical opponents", of course: Even playing against people, skills vary and even equally experienced opponents can make mistakes. Playing against the AI is both easier and harder: The AI is VERY predictable - experienced flyers are typically not. On the other hand, the AI, as you pointed out, uses a simplified model, which allows it to do stunts human players cannot possibly perform - infinite climb, super-maneuverability even with most of their control surfaces shot off, etc.

My purpose here was two fold:

1. To explore (for myself) strategies in different aircraft against an opponent who, at least in theory, is flying the same airframe. Often, people speak about using the advantages of your aircraft again dissimilar opponents. Well, what if the opponent is flying the exact same aircraft?

2. To test how the AI performs with different airframes. Surprisingly, the AI is ridiculously easy to beat in some aircraft (e.g. Su-27 - it's almost embarrassingly simple), while in other aircraft (MiG-15, MiG-19, Fw-190D-8), the AI is REALLY hard to beat (at least with my limited "skills"). I'll summarize my observations in another post with more details.

At the end of the day, none of this is scientific. I know some people take this sim very seriously, but for me, it's all about having fun. I'm just sharing my experience with people who are interested and care to watch the videos.

Cheers,

Doc