How are server settings applied? Especially "(local)"

Eldur

I tried some MP within the last few days. First off, the render performance is absolutely abysmal, even in rather empty maps. I wish DCS could improve here vastly as I remember this being an issue ever since, literally. I can get 45fps offline, dropping to 30ish in heavy situations, but I never see more than 22 ever in MP with the same settings, and it went down as far as single digit. Meh.

But now to the actual topic. With the CV1 it's hard to see things and my eyes won't help that either which is why I fly with dot labels offline. Always. Now taking the things MP, I encountered something I can't explain myself. The server browser lists the settings of the server in the lower right corner. I've seen these:

Labels: Dot only

This results in just what it says, dot only labels. Fine

Labels: None

Self explanatory, they're off, most common setting for servers

Labels: Dot only (local)

This is where I thought I'd get them as well, but I didn't. They actually were off. Then I tried something, I switched my setting to Full and then it said Labels: Full (local), but still on the server, they're completely off. What's that setting actually? How does this work and how is it meant to work? Looks totally weird for me as it doesn't provide for what it sais... icon_question.gif

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Im pretty sure local refers to your (local) settings, not the server settings.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

It is mostly enforced by the mission settings or at least the settings of whoever saved the mission last. As a result it is on a mission by mission basis. At least with how it was setup for the longest time there are rules for some settings that define the level of it. Take F10 view settings as an example when nothing is enforced. Mission was saved with "My A/C only", then (at least it was like this in the past) you will only see your own plane. However if it was saved with "Allies Only" and your local setting is "My A/C Only" then locally for you will be limited to that setting. If you backed out and changed it to "All" then rejoined, then you should be limited to "Allies Only."

It has always been rather confusing and for a while the settings within the server itself did actually act as a form of enforcement, but that seems to be gone now.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 weeks later...
It is mostly enforced by the mission settings or at least the settings of whoever saved the mission last. As a result it is on a mission by mission basis. At least with how it was setup for the longest time there are rules for some settings that define the level of it. Take F10 view settings as an example when nothing is enforced. Mission was saved with "My A/C only", then (at least it was like this in the past) you will only see your own plane. However if it was saved with "Allies Only" and your local setting is "My A/C Only" then locally for you will be limited to that setting. If you backed out and changed it to "All" then rejoined, then you should be limited to "Allies Only."

It has always been rather confusing and for a while the settings within the server itself did actually act as a form of enforcement, but that seems to be gone now.

Are you saying that server settings do not override user local settings anymore?

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Are you saying that server settings do not override user local settings anymore?

You can set each of the mission settings to be enforced, meaning they will override user local settings if this option is checked.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Where do you set these server settings as server admin?

I'm just hosting my own server on my LAN and noticed some of my own client settings were not taking effect when playing on the server. Such as labels and Easy Communication. Labels setting in the mission is checked off and wasn't forcing any label setting.

The server settings in Local Web GUI seem very limited. Also do not see enough options in serverSettings.lua

Edited by Taz1004

What I was saying is there were several ways a setting was applied previously.

-Enforced in the mission file: Has always worked and always takes priority.

-Settings used by whoever saved it last: Can be enforced depending on the setting. Like if you had saved using game mode then that would be enforced.

-Settings used by the server with "use these settings for all missions": As far as I can tell this no longer applies.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum