Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold War 1947 - 1991

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by _Firefly View Post
    ... Alpen, I know you'll agree with me when I say that Red desperately needs the Su-17 and MiG-27. I'd love to fly the Fitter in Polish or East German colours.
    Then you can add your voice to this thread.
    sigpic
    Cold War 1947 - 1991
    Helicopters Tournaments
    Combined Arms Tournaments
    You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

    Comment


      Originally posted by Alpenwolf View Post
      Then you can add your voice to this thread.
      Sure, I'll add my 2 cents.
      DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7A / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

      Comment


        Originally posted by Alpenwolf View Post
        Server News:
        NOTE:
        In the mission Kiryat Shmona, one F-5 seems to have a problem upon spawning. I found nothing wrong in that regard in the mission editor. You'll have to clarify the problem, please.
        There is an apron on Ramat David that has some steel pipes lying across it, one of the F-5s spawn directly on top of that resulting in a nasty surprise upon entering the cockpit.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Mustang View Post
          There is an apron on Ramat David that has some steel pipes lying across it, one of the F-5s spawn directly on top of that resulting in a nasty surprise upon entering the cockpit.
          So it's a Syria map issue? Might wanna report that to Ugra Media with the exact parking lot then. I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm back at my PC.
          sigpic
          Cold War 1947 - 1991
          Helicopters Tournaments
          Combined Arms Tournaments
          You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

          Comment


            Server News:

            * Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is back online.
            * Operation When The Mountains Cry is offline.

            Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi:
            - Helicopters on both sides were moved to FARP's closer to the bullseye.
            - Red FARP is 30 km east of bulls.
            - Blue FARP is 25 km southwest of bulls.
            - All aircraft and weapons are limited!
            - Instead of 4 neutral airbases at mission's start (that must be captured), each coalition holds 1 airbase.
            - Red holds Abu Dhabi International Airport.
            - Blue holds Al Dhafra AB.
            - Sas Al-Nakheel and Al-Bateen Airports are neutral at mission's start.
            - Multiple APC's of different types are available for both coalitions around the city of Abu Dhabi.
            - Tanks removed.
            - AAA's and SAM sites are the only AA crates that can be deployed. No IR SAM's.
            - MiG-29A's and M-2000C's removed.
            - Further changes are quite possible...


            Updated briefing's image:


            sigpic
            Cold War 1947 - 1991
            Helicopters Tournaments
            Combined Arms Tournaments
            You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

            Comment


              Fighting Mig29s on this server makes me want a high-fidelity F-15A.
              sigpic
              Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 1080 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO
              Virpil T50 + CM2 | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

              Comment


                for the servers with the MiG 29s and F-14s the 29s need to get some R60s or at least the option to take the R27S.

                2 R27Rs aren't going to cut it against the much better radar and jamming of the F-14 and the fact that it can take 7 Aim-7s, and Aim9Ls for head on shots

                Comment


                  Six, not seven. Two on the glove pylons, four under the tunnel... still a decent amount but to be honest they're not invincible. R-27T is not really all that great - they're easily spoofed by flares, Jester will see the launch even if he shouldn't because of the limitations of the AI, and rolling IRST-only is a very, very stupid way to use the aircraft. Fly high and fast and try to avoid 1v1 head on trades. The 29 with 27Rs performs a lot better than people give credit for, especially against something without fancy JHMCS to make its life easier.

                  Originally posted by DrRed View Post
                  Fighting Mig29s on this server makes me want a high-fidelity F-15A.
                  Yep, we need more A-teens. I would've taken a 16A over the 16C bl. 50 every single time. Maybe one day.
                  Last edited by rossmum; 10-18-2020, 08:02 AM.

                  Comment


                    In the mission Open Range the MiG-29A takes off from Nalchik. The other MiG's take off from Vody. Therefore, R-60M's are available at Nalchik for the fulcrums. Now, if a MiG-21 or an L-39 decides to fly from Vody to Nalchik just to grab R-60M's, then fly northwest to bulls (somewhere between Vody and Maykop) then it's on them. And I've never seen anyone doing it. It's a long ride just to grab R-60M's. However, in the mission Search & Destroy all Red airplanes take off from Shiraz International airbase. There are no other airbases in that part of the map. So R-60M's must stay out of the warehouses, otherwise MiG-21's would grab them immediately. The MiG-29A's used to take off from Kerman airbase, 360 km northeast of bulls. They had R-60M's but the distance was too much to fly, especially if they needed to RTB and grab more missiles. Nonetheless, the 2 x R-27's are really underestimated. Only a few days ago, Blue ran out of Tomcats, while Red still had 5 Fulcrums. And to balance the odds, Red has 16 x MiG-29A's, while Blue has 12 x F-14B's at mission's start.

                    rossmum's idea of adding the R-27T's sounds good. I might give it a shot there, while maybe giving Blue 16 x F-14B's instead of 12.

                    NOTE:
                    The mission Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed also has Fulcrums and Tomcats taking off from other airbases than what the rest of the aircraft use. Which is why R-60M's are available in that mission too. That gives us a total of 3 missions (out of 30 Cold War missions) featuring these advanced jets.
                    sigpic
                    Cold War 1947 - 1991
                    Helicopters Tournaments
                    Combined Arms Tournaments
                    You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

                    Comment


                      Server News:

                      - The SA342Mistrals were removed from a number of missions. More to follow.
                      - Briefings adjusted in some missions.
                      - In operation Search & Destroy a total of 32 x R-27T's were added.
                      - In operation Search & Destroy 16 x Tomcats instead of 12.
                      - The briefings of ALL missions can now be viewed in the second and third posts of this thread.
                      - Rework of The Desert Has Eyes has been resumed.
                      - Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is the first PG mission to limit all aircraft numbers.
                      - The mission will go online tonight.
                      - Here are some of the new changes in case you missed them.
                      sigpic
                      Cold War 1947 - 1991
                      Helicopters Tournaments
                      Combined Arms Tournaments
                      You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by rossmum View Post
                        Six, not seven. Two on the glove pylons, four under the tunnel... still a decent amount but to be honest they're not invincible. R-27T is not really all that great - they're easily spoofed by flares, Jester will see the launch even if he shouldn't because of the limitations of the AI, and rolling IRST-only is a very, very stupid way to use the aircraft. Fly high and fast and try to avoid 1v1 head on trades. The 29 with 27Rs performs a lot better than people give credit for, especially against something without fancy JHMCS to make its life easier.



                        Yep, we need more A-teens. I would've taken a 16A over the 16C bl. 50 every single time. Maybe one day.
                        Sorry your right it is 6, don't know why I had 7 stuck in my head.

                        The R27 T does give us a good option when attacking the F-5, and F-14s. The F-5s can be taken out with stealth without wasting the limited 2 stations we can put R-27s on. With the R27R unless I'm rear aspect to him and way within the no escape zone, he has plenty of time to react and defeat the missile. For the F-14 even if jester reacts to a missile launch, he reacts to pretty much any type of launch even if the missile is way off and not targeting the F-14 so without a RWR alarm to back it up, a lot of players will ignore it or react too late.

                        Either that or the Aim 9L should be locked on the F-14s

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by rossmum View Post
                          Yep, we need more A-teens. I would've taken a 16A over the 16C bl. 50 every single time. Maybe one day.
                          This guy gets it.
                          sigpic
                          Intel i7-9700k @ 5.0 GHz | GTX 1080 | 32 GB | HTC VIVE PRO
                          Virpil T50 + CM2 | CM2 Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by rossmum View Post
                            Yep, we need more A-teens. I would've taken a 16A over the 16C bl. 50 every single time. Maybe one day.
                            Originally posted by DrRed View Post
                            This guy gets it.
                            Agreed... Really wish they would have done a block 15 OCU which would essentially be the early A cockpit with provisions for Mavericks, Penguin, and AMRAAMs, so it would still be competitive in the modern environment though not the killer the block 52 is, but all those weapons could be restricted on Cold War, and it would basically be just a block 15.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Alpenwolf View Post
                              rossmum's idea of adding the R-27T's sounds good. I might give it a shot there, while maybe giving Blue 16 x F-14B's instead of 12.
                              Not quite what I was getting at - people ask for the 27T now and then because of the "IRST stealth" meme. In reality (well, in DCS too) they're not really intended for that and unless your target is totally unaware, which a Jester-crewed F-14 won't be, they're easily defeated. At that point you're sacrificing one or both of your R-27Rs for them, and still have four empty pylons for short-range IR missiles.

                              Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. I guess one possible solution is just to make S&D a lone all-aspect mission, even while the rest of the rotation is rear only? That might confuse people who aren't aware of what a briefing is, though

                              As for R-27R vs F-5 - it can be defeated but I've had reasonably good results with it. Failing that you can always gun him. Gunning a Tomcat is a much riskier proposition, though.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by rossmum View Post
                                Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.
                                Wait a minute, the Fulcrum can't use the standard R-60? The 9.12 and 9.12A should both be capable of firing the regular R-60 (albeit in boresight mode only), though I'd have to consult my books to verify this. I remember reading about the R-60M being integrated with the Shchel-3UM helmet-mounted sight (this works as intended in-game), but with no R-60Ms on the server that's of little concern.
                                DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7A / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Alpenwolf View Post
                                  Server News:

                                  * Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi is back online.
                                  * Operation When The Mountains Cry is offline.

                                  Operation Once Upon a Time in Abu Dhabi:
                                  - Helicopters on both sides were moved to FARP's closer to the bullseye.
                                  - Red FARP is 30 km east of bulls.
                                  - Blue FARP is 25 km southwest of bulls.
                                  - All aircraft and weapons are limited!
                                  - Instead of 4 neutral airbases at mission's start (that must be captured), each coalition holds 1 airbase.
                                  - Red holds Abu Dhabi International Airport.
                                  - Blue holds Al Dhafra AB.
                                  - Sas Al-Nakheel and Al-Bateen Airports are neutral at mission's start.
                                  - Multiple APC's of different types are available for both coalitions around the city of Abu Dhabi.
                                  - Tanks removed.
                                  - AAA's and SAM sites are the only AA crates that can be deployed. No IR SAM's.
                                  - MiG-29A's and M-2000C's removed.
                                  - Further changes are quite possible...


                                  Updated briefing's image:


                                  Yesterdays mission was ton of fun, did Gci work and CA.. another 2 weeks and I will get green light from the Doc to wear VR again.
                                  The best part was that Hilo’s didn't have to fly that far to get to the action. Win went to the Red.
                                  DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS
                                  sigpic

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by rossmum View Post
                                    Not quite what I was getting at - people ask for the 27T now and then because of the "IRST stealth" meme. In reality (well, in DCS too) they're not really intended for that and unless your target is totally unaware, which a Jester-crewed F-14 won't be, they're easily defeated. At that point you're sacrificing one or both of your R-27Rs for them, and still have four empty pylons for short-range IR missiles.

                                    Life would be a lot easier if the 29 could use the R-60 in DCS, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon. I guess one possible solution is just to make S&D a lone all-aspect mission, even while the rest of the rotation is rear only? That might confuse people who aren't aware of what a briefing is, though

                                    As for R-27R vs F-5 - it can be defeated but I've had reasonably good results with it. Failing that you can always gun him. Gunning a Tomcat is a much riskier proposition, though.
                                    All aspect just for the sake of the Fulcrum? I don't think so.
                                    I've added the R-27T's because in the Search & Destroy mission players really need to cover long distances to get to the action to then fire the 2 x R-27R's and maybe not get 1 kill. It starts to get frustrating after a while, I guess.
                                    I'm aware that the T missiles are easily defeated. And just because Jester is going to call them doesn't mean you wont be able to shoot down any Tomcats. You just need to close the range a bit more or fire it head on when the F-14 pilot is expecting you to go for guns, etc.
                                    As always, we try it out and then decide on whether to keep them or not.

                                    Originally posted by NELLUS View Post
                                    ... another 2 weeks and I will get green light from the Doc to wear VR again.
                                    ...
                                    What?! What's refraining you from doing that if I may ask?
                                    sigpic
                                    Cold War 1947 - 1991
                                    Helicopters Tournaments
                                    Combined Arms Tournaments
                                    You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by Alpenwolf View Post
                                      What?! What's refraining you from doing that if I may ask?
                                      Been doing MMA bit too long and my nose has taken an occasional beating, so it was about time to fix it. I’m not allowed to wear anything heavy on my face, just until the initial healing has been done.
                                      DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS
                                      sigpic

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by NELLUS View Post
                                        Been doing MMA bit too long and my nose has taken an occasional beating, so it was about time to fix it. I’m not allowed to wear anything heavy on my face, just until the initial healing has been done.
                                        MMA, he says. So you can't wait for Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje I take it? I'm on fire for that fight! Why do you think I have a mission called Fight Island?
                                        sigpic
                                        Cold War 1947 - 1991
                                        Helicopters Tournaments
                                        Combined Arms Tournaments
                                        You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Alpenwolf View Post
                                          MMA, he says. So you can't wait for Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Justin Gaethje I take it? I'm on fire for that fight! Why do you think I have a mission called Fight Island?
                                          Khabib is an absolute Machine!! Will be epic
                                          DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS
                                          sigpic

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X