Hornet higher level of detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornet higher level of detail

**Link to my DCS User Files : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...x&set_filter=Y **

I've been plugging away at taking the Hornet's level of detail a little higher than what it is now.

Currently the Hornet has 4096 textures which are split into areas, whereas other models (F-16) have these areas as individual textures each at 4096. This means the Hornet's actual max resolution is 2K.

By increasing the resolution of the Hornet's textures to 8192 pixels, you achieve a true 4K skin just like the Viper. This allows finer detail to be introduced into the textures.

In doing so, I've also removed the rivet like detail on the engine's nozzles to reflect the real world.

Here, the rectangular shapes at the rear are supposed to be open mesh, so I was able to modify the texture to better show this, as well as the Normal maps.

Some Hornets have a reinforcement plate on the tail (mostly A models) and I was able to add this to the Normals:

Same with the ID lights found on RCAF, SwAF, FinAF, KuwAF Hornet's:

Engine nozzles:

And the whole bird:

Last edited 10-03-2020, 03:41 PM.

Wow awesome work! Finally someone get more detail to the Hornet (it´s due). Thank you for that and for your work. Waiting and eager to try!

Best regards,
    F.
    Portugal
    Col. Bruno "Fonzie" F. (on DCS)

sigpic

"About carrier ops: The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.5ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO x56 | SSD´s | Valve Index.

Comment

Great work.
      Sadly the Hornet model isnt up to the same level they put into the F-16.
      Hopefully your work can be added to the existing skins.

Comment

ED should official update the hornet textures
        My two cents about the turn this community is taking
        https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=284141

Comment

Fantastic job, the Hornets limited texture resolution has always held back livery creators IMO. Do these larger resolution textures work out of the box and pass IC or do you have to modify other files for them to work?
          Check out my skins and mods on the User Files.

Comment

Don't know about IC, can't see why they wouldn't pass though.

No file modifications necessary. All that was done was to upscale the template to 200%.

Comment

Textures shouldn't have anything to do with IC. Megalax, this is OUTSTANDING work.
              Cheers,

Rick
              CSEL\CMEL\IFR
              Certified Airplane Nut

Comment

WOOOOOT!

Comment

Holy Moly Details..
                  Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,
                  X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,
                  3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,
                  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by SkateZilla View Post
                    Holy Moly Details..
                    There are more, these are just the highlights.

Comment

trying to do the same for some personal project models, but base access to laser scan and take high res raw photos is restricted at the moment due to CV19.

Increasing Res from 2K to at least 4K possibly 8K
                      Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,
                      X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,
                      3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,
                      Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

Comment

The master screw is one which brings me the most satisfaction LOL

The original intent was just to have more legible stencils.

Last edited 10-05-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Just absolutely incredible work!
                          Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, WD 2TB HDD, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PW Supply, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2

Comment

Cheers bro...sit rep on availability?
                            My monitor replacement fundraiser...PayPal [email]mech.driver@rogers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mower View Post
                              Cheers bro...sit rep on availability?
                              Should be soon(ish). Currently trying to figure out the best way to upload them as they are much bigger than my other liveries in terms of data weight.

In the meantime, here's Capt. "Angry" Ginger Kidd.

Last edited 10-05-2020, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Megalax View Post
                                  Awesome work. I wish ED would include this as an official one not just a mod.... well if you dont mind ofc.
                                  Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Comment

Incredible stuff - nice work and thanks for sharing with the community.

Are you doing in-cockpit details as well with this mod?

Comment

I see you worked TGP textures too

will you work on more liveries? (not only Canada ones but US Navy too)

Thank you again for everything you´re doing with Hornet textures.
                                      Portugal
                                      Col. Bruno "Fonzie" F. (on DCS)

sigpic

"About carrier ops: The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.5ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO x56 | SSD´s | Valve Index.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                        Incredible stuff - nice work and thanks for sharing with the community.

Are you doing in-cockpit details as well with this mod?
                                        No, no in cockpit stuff. There are many artists that would do (have done) a much better job with it than me, so that's a no from me.

Originally posted by fagulha View Post
                                        I see you worked TGP textures too

will you work on more liveries? (not only Canada ones but US Navy too)

Thank you again for everything you´re doing with Hornet textures.
                                        Yes, I changed the TGP textures to better simulate the Sniper TGP that Canada uses.

Some USN birds are definitely in the works from me, however as it's not a well known subject to me, I have begun work to hand off my template to some well known artists in the community who will deliver high detail non-Canadian Hornets.

Comment

Working...
                                        X