Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

UPDATED TO V22 for DCS 2.9  11/08/2023

• Compatibility with DCS 2.9

Adjusted water explosion.

BetterSmoke_v21_01.jpg

BetterSmoke_v21_02.jpg

INSTALL:  Extract to main DCS install path. OvGME or other Mod Managers recommended.

If you have any other mod that modifies particles, you must install this mod last and overwrite.

DOWNLOAD For DCS 2.9 OB:

IC Fail version:  Better Smoke V22

IC Safe version:  Better Smoke V20 MP  This link is for anyone still using 2.8.4 or prior.  MP is no longer supported due to DCS blocking entire shader folder from Integrity check.

List of differences between IC Fail and IC Safe version

ChangeList.txt

DOWNLOAD For DCS 2.5.6 Stable:

Single player: Better Smoke V9 SP

Multi player: Better Smoke V9 MP

Version History

Edited by Taz1004
Version Update
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 22

Looking great Taz!!

Thank you for improving the realism side of the game along with the eye candy :)

I use an old mod made by KUKY and later modified by Mustang,

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2161594/

and I like it has variable smoke heights and random burn times,

so it looked more natural in this way.

Maybe it can be added here as well?

Cheers

Callsign   SETUP

Oh yes!

I remember this old mod of smoke for DCS 1.5 and used it as "must to have".

Its next good idea of Taz now, thx a lot for this work again!

GBU smoke (after hit):

uz2yh1Km.jpg

Fire smoke:

SHkFmjVm.jpg

So maybe more darker?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Looking great Taz!!

Thank you for improving the realism side of the game along with the eye candy :)

I use an old mod made by KUKY and later modified by Mustang,

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2161594/

and I like it has variable smoke heights and random burn times,

so it looked more natural in this way.

Maybe it can be added here as well?

Cheers

Yes I think it's possible.

And @YoYo I think those thick smoke are from buildings or factories aren't they? I think there are different smoke for those in DCS which I was planning to edit as well.

Plan in the long run is to do full particle overhaul... without hurting fps.

l... without hurting fps.

Necessarily :D, thanks!

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Actually Ron, did Kuky's randomizing work before?

I just tried his and all smoke are pretty same.

smoke_01.jpg

Then I tried Mustang's and same way.

smoke_02.jpg

Then I made each of the smoke variant different color and what happened is each emitter put out the variants in sequence. Not random.

smoke_03.jpg

Maybe it worked before and ED changed particles IDK but doesn't seem possible to vary the duration as it seems there's only 1 emitter. Whatever randomness you see is coming from random velocity which my smoke already has.

I may use this technique to give different color and opacity to the smoke as they age however. Credit to Kuky and Mustang...

Edited by Taz1004

Taz,

I may have mistaken randomness for different smoke duration/length...not really sure now...

Vehicles exploding at different times created different smoke columns, probably that was the source of me thinking ‘randomness’...:doh:

attachment.php?attachmentid=132926&d=1452921507

Anyway, I am glad to see you taking over this neglected and highly important area in DCS!:thumbup::thumbup:

(Vehicle dust too maybe?:smilewink:)

[i think you Mustang and Barthek should be employed by ED!!]

Edited by ron533

Callsign   SETUP

Tested and .... like it! A lot better than defaults.

lyYWprjl.jpg

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Thanks for suggesting age variation Ron. Smokes are now slower and lighter as they age. I increased the wind influence of the smoke as well and created fake turbulence. Helps to quickly see wind direction and strength for bomb/rocket runs.

2m/s ground wind.

smoke_04.jpg

8m/s ground wind.

smoke_05.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

Hi Taz.

Great job!

The burn time of unit after hit is in DCS World / Config / World / world.lua

P.S. sorry for my English.

Thanks for that info ChYuriy. I saw that after looking into Kuky's. But unless I'm mistaken, I think those are just duration and not randomization. And looks like Kuky just lengthened couple of them which had very low duration.

Great, I`m waiting your v2 thanks Taz :thumbup:

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/

My skins

Windows 10 Pro -Asus rog strix z490-e gaming  - I7 10700K - Ram Corsair 32 GB 3600 - Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb  - RTX 4070TI 12Gb - Gigabyte G32QC  2‎560 x 1440 (QHD)- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog  -TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - Track IR 5 - VR samsung odyssey plus

Very good, definitely an improvement! :thumbup: TY

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Very nice v2, TY!

XCMBOpnl.jpg

It must be in "default" DCS....

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

V3 coming soon. Adding some blast effect for slightly more satisfying explosion.

BetterSmoke_Blast_01.gif

V3 looks exceptional. Kudos. :thumbup:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.