Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaders mod for better VR performance (experimental)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Quadg. May well have been just the shaders recompiling but I have my doubts.

I waited for a couple of minutes before power cycling the machine and nothing at all happened in the meantime, just had a light gray-blue screen and the engine sound looping in the background. FWIW though, this hard freeze was similar to the ones I had when my video card was OC'd a tad too high, so I don't know... hmmm... maybe some of those shaders somehow tax the HW more, even when their processing footprint is allegedly smaller than the default? No way of knowing, so I'll just ponder whether I'll take the plunge again and reinstall. Thanks again.
    The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Comment

Originally posted by msalama View Post
      Thanks Quadg. May well have been just the shaders recompiling but I have my doubts.

I waited for a couple of minutes before power cycling the machine and nothing at all happened in the meantime, just had a light gray-blue screen and the engine sound looping in the background. FWIW though, this hard freeze was similar to the ones I had when my video card was OC'd a tad too high, so I don't know... hmmm... maybe some of those shaders somehow tax the HW more, even when their processing footprint is allegedly smaller than the default? No way of knowing, so I'll just ponder whether I'll take the plunge again and reinstall. Thanks again.
      Hopefully you didn't have to reinstall dcs? Or you mean you did a repair and just going to reinstall the mod?
      Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey

Comment

No, I'm using JSGME so I just uninstalled the mod, deleted the userspace fxo and metashaders folders + put the backup system shader folders back, restarted the sim and let it rebuild everything. So no harm whatsoever done
        The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Comment

Ah in yea I use jsgme too. I have yet to try the mod, but will make a backup too. I hope of ED integrates it that they would maybe tune it a bit and this possibly could reduce loading times.
          Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey

Comment

Sorry, I'm kind of new to OvGME. Could someone please post instructions for using OvGME to install this mod? I would like the ability to quickly enable/disable this mode without the need to rename folders.

Thanks!
            sigpic
            Fair Winds and Following Seas

Comment

Originally posted by sze5003 View Post
              Yes in steam VR settings under developer tab its called synchronized reprojection...or something similar to that.
              Thats a different thing and is much simpler.

Comment

But whenever that's on you are locked to 45, fps automatically. I have read that at least the beta version of steam VR has a version of asw.

Comment

** If you see an area around your peripheral vision rendered incorrectly open Bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl and increase the MASKSIZE value. The default is optimized for HTC Vive.
                  What need for Oculus?
                  i5-4670K 4.5GHz | 16Гб DDR3 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING X 11G | РУС vkb Gladiator Pro+РУД vkb Gametrix ECS+Пендали BRD-MS1 | Oculus Rift S
                  https://sites.google.com/site/skywolfkuban/
                  https://vk.com/paraplan_mkp

Comment

Originally posted by huligan View Post
                    What need for Oculus?
                    0.600 seems to be working well.
                    PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
                    Gear: HP Reverb | JetPad FSE | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)

Comment

Originally posted by rrohde View Post
                      0.600 seems to be working well.
                      Where it to WRITE?
                      is it right?
                      #define MASKSIZE 0.600 // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525f seems to be ok for the Vive
                      or
                      #define MASKSIZE 0.600f // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525f seems to be ok for the Vive
                      Please give me your _HMD.hlsl
                      Last edited 07-14-2018, 11:57 PM.
                      i5-4670K 4.5GHz | 16Гб DDR3 | MSI GTX1080ti GAMING X 11G | РУС vkb Gladiator Pro+РУД vkb Gametrix ECS+Пендали BRD-MS1 | Oculus Rift S

Comment

Originally posted by NineLine View Post
                        To the OPer, and all those that have tried it out, thanks. ED is looking into it.
                        This is sooo good!!!... every aspect of this mod needs to be turned into an in game slider!!!
                        Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Comment

Originally posted by sze5003 View Post
                          But whenever that's on you are locked to 45, fps automatically. I have read that at least the beta version of steam VR has a version of asw.
                          ah, i think youre thinking of motion reprojection in the latest windows mixed reality betas? which is basically the same as ASW, but it doesnt limit you to 45FPS, it turns on automatically if youre between 45 and 90 fps, otherwise its off (unless you set it to always on)... I dont think steamvr has anything yet and last i heard they dont intend to.. I also have a odyssey

Comment

Originally posted by Aloha_S View Post
                            ah, i think youre thinking of motion reprojection in the latest windows mixed reality betas? which is basically the same as ASW, but it doesnt limit you to 45FPS, it turns on automatically if youre between 45 and 90 fps, otherwise its off (unless you set it to always on)... I dont think steamvr has anything yet and last i heard they dont intend to.. I also have a odyssey
                            Yea that must be it but luckly everything has been smooth for me in the odyssey

Comment

Originally posted by huligan View Post
                              What need for Oculus?
                              you need a bigger mask size because you see a bigger area than in the vive.

I use 0.605f

and yes its the line you highlighted.
                              My Rig: i7 4930k 4.5Ghz, 16GB DDR3 2400, 2x SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Comment

understood,works!
                                I use 0.605f
                                Ok!!! so much better!
                                Very good mod!!!
                                Last edited 07-15-2018, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Great mod, many thanks Kegetys. This has made DCS much better for me, it's usable again on my Oculus setup.

Comment

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyh improvement as yet. Inside the VC at low altitude I still have 45fps and externally or at higher altitudes I still have 90.

This is in the Su-25T and with almost the lowest possible settings, which is what I used to get it going smoothly before using this mod.

Maybe I can now increase settings, but surely I should see a large improvement at the base level?

Anyway, I used JSGME to implement the mod, having deleted the relevant metatech folders first - I will now do it manually instead and see if there's a difference. I'm on a 1060 gB and i5 4690k @ 4.3GHz.

I didn't see any anomolies or artefacts around the view in the Rift, but when I looked at my screenshots some where evident. I take it this is what was being referred to? If so, I'm not concerned.
                                    Last edited 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Okay here's something really weird:

I just removed the mod via JSGME and then went to delete the metacaches (in my understanding, these would be filled with the data rebuilt after the mod was installed) and there is no DCS folder inside any of the metacache folders.

So in this:

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

The dcs folder is AWOL

Just to be clear: I deleted those folders, installed the mod, started up 2.5 and flew a quick mission, which showed no improvement, but looked as per the screenshots in the previous post - so something is definitely happening, even if the performance isn't better - but when I looked now to check the metacache folder I find there is no new dcs folder, as I had expected.

Is that how it should be?

Comment

Sorry for multi-post, just wanted to say that my performance definitely has increased - solid 45fps and completely smooth in Normandy (Spitfire and Gazelle at tree-slalom level) and the same in Nevada (chasing prairie-dogs in the Aviojet) with a PD of 1.4 and settings as in attached screenie.
                                        Last edited 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brixmis View Post
                                          Okay here's something really weird:

I just removed the mod via JSGME and then went to delete the metacaches (in my understanding, these would be filled with the data rebuilt after the mod was installed) and there is no DCS folder inside any of the metacache folders.

So in this:

Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs

The dcs folder is AWOL

Just to be clear: I deleted those folders, installed the mod, started up 2.5 and flew a quick mission, which showed no improvement, but looked as per the screenshots in the previous post - so something is definitely happening, even if the performance isn't better - but when I looked now to check the metacache folder I find there is no new dcs folder, as I had expected.

Is that how it should be?
                                          Same here and for other people. Others have asked about this, but no one has offered an explanation yet. Weird.
                                          Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X