EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

Here is a new .edm exporter for Blender 2.8.

Importing is not and will not be implemented. Please read the README and have fun!

https://github.com/tobi-be/BlenderEdmExporter

https://discord.gg/2WzQYN6p

Like the first addon (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178430), this unofficial addon is purely experimental. Special thanks to Grajo for first tests with the addon!

What should work:

• Mesh export
  • Collision boxes
  • Collision lines
  • Bone deformed animations
  • A selection of material types including diffuse, normal and specular maps. roughmet textures can replace specular maps
  • Lights
  • FakeOmniLights
  • Connectors
  • Argument based animations of Visibility, Rotation, Location, Scale and bone deformation

what doesn‘ t work:

• Import EDM models
  • LOD Nodes
  • Visibility Nodes on Skin Nodes
  • Export of modifiers
  • Export of IK chains. Bones which are animated within an IK Chain has to be keyframed additionally by visual rotation or visual location

Edited by tobi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the hard work Tobi! And for allowing me to test it a bit before release :].

With all of its features so far! Just amazing news for any Blender user that is willing to create content for DCS. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hope that it continues growing with more features soon ;]. Always ready for some testing.

Edited by Grajo
  • Like 1

This is exciting. I finally have a reason start learning the 2.8 interface. I see you have bone supported as well, and visibility - I can stop some of my work rounds :)

Good job not supporting imports.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Hi !

I've installed the Add-on, I have it in the export list but it did seems to export to the selected location.

Blender version : 2.82

Hi PhoenixCelsius,

I have done some testing with 2.82a (Stable) and did work well.

Did you take a look at the documentation?

https://github.com/tobi-be/BlenderEdmExporter

It is very clear and straight forward, but it requires some specific steps to make the EDM export to work.

Hi,

Sharing some screenshots here to display some of the WORKING FEATURES that I have been testing so far.

*Please, be "indulgent" about the quality of the models and textures... They are all just quick prototypes to test addon features.

Normals-From-Blender-to-DCS-MV.jpg

-Displaying Normals in Model Viewer. Proper vertex normals and hard edges (remember to apply modifiers before exporting)

Blender-EDM-2-8x-Addon-001.jpg

Blender-EDM-2-8x-Addon-002.jpg

Blender-EDM-2-8x-Addon-003.jpg

-Spec/RoughMet, Normal map, and Collision Sell working nicely

Blender-EDM-2-8x-Addon-004.jpg

-Texture transparency support (Bullseye) :thumbup:

Blender-EDM-2-8x-Addon-005.jpg

-Straight forward exporting Multiple Objects to a single EDM, all of them with different materials and textures (this one, also, is really sweet :])

*Example scenes and video tutorials might come if necessary.

Best and take care during these dangerous times...

• Like 2

I have a video diary series on YouTube of my attempts at making a BD-5J flyable from Blender 2.78. I am going to be changing to 2.82, and using this updated tool, as it has features I missed from the 2.78 tool. I have a flyable model that I am nearing completion including clickable cockpit. I have covered everything to get it flyable. It is lot to watch as it is a diary and NOT a tutorial, but you will see every mistake I make and what I did to fix it.

This is my first attempt at a model , so be warned I am noob, but I have got really far.

I am going to post a new video soon which will show my attempts to get this to export.

• Like 1

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Please do not hesitate to ask or send me a PM if you encounter problems! Maybe I can help quickly.

I have a video diary series on YouTube of my attempts at making a BD-5J flyable from Blender 2.78. I am going to be changing to 2.82, and using this updated tool, as it has features I missed from the 2.78 tool. I have a flyable model that I am nearing completion including clickable cockpit. I have covered everything to get it flyable. It is lot to watch as it is a diary and NOT a tutorial, but you will see every mistake I make and what I did to fix it.

This is my first attempt at a model , so be warned I am noob, but I have got really far.

I am going to post a new video soon which will show my attempts to get this to export.

I follow you on youtube, right now you are the main reference for the blender, but sometimes it is difficult for me to follow the video or there are concepts that I do not fully understand ...

thank you very much for your videos

Thank you very much, I've managed the first test export!

Nice!

That project seems pretty ambitious :]

I will try to set up a small guide/download to how to set up a static object (.edm) to use it as a mod, as you requested, (static objects is the best I can do so far...) to be able to put it in-game using it in the mission editor.

Nice!

That project seems pretty ambitious :]

I will try to set up a small guide/download to how to set up a static object (.edm) to use it as a mod, as you requested, (static objects is the best I can do so far...) to be able to put it in-game using it in the mission editor.

Thank you very much, I follow the thread with expectation. :thumbup:

regards