Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi all, just to let you know I downloaded the new version of Blender (2.90) and try it with the latest EDM (version 1.04) for Blender with the start up cube and open it on Model Viewer 2 and still working (cube shows on it). Best regards and take care
    sigpic

    Comment


      Originally posted by Sarabi View Post
      Hi all, just to let you know I downloaded the new version of Blender (2.90) and try it with the latest EDM (version 1.04) for Blender with the start up cube and open it on Model Viewer 2 and still working (cube shows on it). Best regards and take care
      Thanks for the info Sarabi. Best and take care also :]
      Link to my MODs - So far...
      Blender 2.8 EDM Exporter Tutorials - So far...

      Comment


        Doesn't work on 2.83. I'm using a some of addons But only the edm plugin doesn't work.

        Do i need other settings? or something
        Last edited 09-04-2020, 04:45 PM.

        Comment


          Originally posted by lee1hy View Post
          Doesn't work on 2.83. I'm using a lot of addons like hardops/boxcutter/msfs/gis etc. But in 2.83 the edm plugin doesn't work.

          Do i need other settings? or something
          Hi lee1hy,
          I used it very often with 2.83 and it worked quite well. Would you like to describe the problem? Is it installed correctly? Are there any error messages?

          Comment


            Originally posted by tobi View Post
            Hi lee1hy,
            I used it very often with 2.83 and it worked quite well. Would you like to describe the problem? Is it installed correctly? Are there any error messages?
            log says that the install was successful, but it is not in the list of enable addons. not even in export

            Comment


              Looking for some guidance on how to make a building "solid" so a helicopter can land on it. I didn't see much in this thread about collision models that helped and the Blender 2.9 manual didn't help me either.

              For a tool trial a 5x5x5 meter cube was made (basically the standard starting point in Blender 2.9 and making the cube larger). A red texture was applied and exported to .edm file format. Cube exports fine and looks good in DCS but vehicles will drive through it and helicopters can not land on it. This was expected as a collision box was not added and I was just checking out this tool to verify I could export .edm files. So, I should be able to make a building in Blender 2.9 and have it display in DCS. Just need a collision model to go with it now.

              I took a DCS collision model and made it a static object to view in DCS. The static collision model is invisible to the eye in DCS but it's there as a vehicle driving over it will jump into the air while on the object. In ModelViewer2 this collision model looks solid and blue in color.

              A collision box (Rigid Body Type = Box) was added around the trial 5x5x5 cube. Collision field absorption values of 0 and 1 were tried. Rigid body Type of Active and Passive were tried. A bunch of other stuff was tried too but still could not get a rigid landing surface.

              Interesting to note is that the trial 5x5x5 cube is now invisible to the eye in DCS as a static object but shows fine in Modelviewer2 with a red color. The trial cube seems to be close to what is needed but I seem to be missing the magic combination or approach to support collisions.

              Any help would be appreciated. BTW: thanks for providing this super tool!
               

              Rusty

              Comment


                Hey Rusty,
                You need two objects for that. One for rendering (render node) and one for collision (shell node). Usually shell nodes are lowpoly for efficient collision calculation.

                https://youtu.be/SYvr_GLR2AE

                In this video Grajo sets up both in one edm file. The other possibilty is to use 2 or more edm files and a lod file.

                Comment


                  tobi, thanks for the response but Grajo's video starts with the collision shell already set up. What settings were used in the collision shell? I can tie the two meshes together but I can not get the collision shell to work right which is why I was looking at it separately.


                  Rusty

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by RustyGunner View Post
                    tobi, thanks for the response but Grajo's video starts with the collision shell already set up. What settings were used in the collision shell? I can tie the two meshes together but I can not get the collision shell to work right which is why I was looking at it separately.


                    Rusty
                    Hey Rusty, the only setting you have to do is to set the Rendertype to ShellNode at the edm panel. Then the object is invisible in DCS but works as a collision box. Grajo selects the collisionobject for a short time at about 2:28. When he does that you can see the edm panel on the right bottom of the screen. You have to use a second box which is set to Rendernode if you want to see something it in DCS. In summary: Create one cube for visual appearence in DCS parent it to a bone and choose RenderNode at the edm panel. Create a second cube parent it to the same bone and choose shellnode at the edm panel. Both objects don't have to be tied except they have to be parented to the same armature and no other blender internal physics settings are needed.

                    Comment


                      Btw: You mentioned the blender 2.9 manual and this thread but not the readme of the addon at github. A lot of user overlook it but it should be the first place to look how to use the addon.

                      Comment


                        tobi, yes the github readme was read when the tool was downloaded. ShellNode was/is used for the collision object being rendered.

                        I did what you stated above but for some reason collisions were not working right for me. An AI vehicle will steer around the object indicating to me it knows a collision object is in front of it. However, put a helicopter on the object and the helicopter will bounce around wildly or will be on its side and jitter (seemed like a collision variable was not set correctly). I do not have this problem with collision objects removed from DCS models (example: leopard-2-collision.edm). That model works perfect as an invisible static collision object.

                        I started with default physic settings but got strange results which is why I moved to a stand alone collision model for testing and trying to zero in on my problem. That approach eliminates any influence from the base object. After getting weird results with everything tried I had to asked about collision settings. BTW: Blender defaults didn't change from prior versions in 2.9 did they?


                        I will download both the tool and Blender 2.9 again and see if perhaps a bad download may be the culpit. Thanks for the input.


                        Rusty

                        Comment


                          Hey Rusty,
                          I tried to reproduce the problem but i wasn't able to. I build a cube and landed a Huey on it. I upload the blend file and the dcs mod folder here. May be it helps you to compare to your setup. I am not quite shure what you mean with physics settings. The only "physic setting" DCS recognizes in this case is Rendertype ShellNode. Other physic settings are not exported and there is not place for it in an edm file. Let me know if you can identify the problem!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited 09-18-2020, 07:22 AM. Reason: upload

                          Comment


                            tobi, I downloaded Blender 2.9 again and all appears to be working Ok now. The new download also cured the disappearing gridlines that were blinking in and out at random times.

                            Thanks for the Test Cube file too. I did noticed your armature is much larger that the one I used. Does the size of the armature matter?

                            Rusty

                            Comment


                              anyone issue with one and "only one armature" error ? I select the fuselage, then bone, then ctrl+p select bone relative and the object moves together. I checked the parent and export but no luck

                              this is sample 3d model from internet
                              this model already many bone with animation



                              http://pds18.egloos.com/pds/202010/0...9aa92ce7fc.png

                              You can see the parent line. Export is not successful even though parent is successful
                              Last edited 10-04-2020, 12:00 PM.

                              Comment


                                Hi Lee1hy,
                                I see more than one armature in the list and that is the problem. If you build up your model from scratch use one armature from the begining. If you use a downloaded model and there are more than one armatures you have to try to merge them to one armature.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by tobi View Post
                                  Hi Lee1hy,
                                  I see more than one armature in the list and that is the problem. If you build up your model from scratch use one armature from the begining. If you use a downloaded model and there are more than one armatures you have to try to merge them to one armature.

                                  Thanks for reply

                                  Even if there is one armature, it doesn't export. find and filter the all armature then merged , but it doesn't convert. Is there any other way to check the armature? maybe hidden armature

                                  http://pds20.egloos.com/pds/202010/0...a5c974e683.png

                                  Comment


                                    Hi guys. I need a little help. Ive modeled one aircraft for my own use, exterior model, and right now Im using one of community mod lua files as a reference. I make all animations etc, but I have a problem with aircraft to surface contact. Whatever I do, make collision with actual edm shape or separated collision shape, my aircraft fall trough ground. But if I keep collision shape from that community mod, my extirior model not making contact with ground, actualy gears or something from invinsible community mod making contact (is it that lua positioning numbers or collision from that specific collision shape, IDK), so I cant find solution for that whatever I do... Im using blender as one exporter. Thank you in advance.
                                    Last edited 10-05-2020, 03:27 PM.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by lee1hy View Post
                                      Thanks for reply

                                      Even if there is one armature, it doesn't export. find and filter the all armature then merged , but it doesn't convert. Is there any other way to check the armature? maybe hidden armature

                                      http://pds20.egloos.com/pds/202010/0...a5c974e683.png

                                      Hi lee1hy,
                                      you can switch the display mode of the outliner from for example "view layer" to "Blender File". There you can see all objects even if an armature has no bones or something like that. I tried to use "join" with armatures. All bones are in one armature and the other armature becomes invisible but stays in the blend file. This may have caused your problems
                                      Last edited 10-06-2020, 08:38 AM.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by FlyNeX View Post
                                        Hi guys. I need a little help. Ive modeled one aircraft for my own use, exterior model, and right now Im using one of community mod lua files as a reference. I make all animations etc, but I have a problem with aircraft to surface contact. Whatever I do, make collision with actual edm shape or separated collision shape, my aircraft fall trough ground. But if I keep collision shape from that community mod, my extirior model not making contact with ground, actualy gears or something from invinsible community mod making contact (is it that lua positioning numbers or collision from that specific collision shape, IDK), so I cant find solution for that whatever I do... Im using blender as one exporter. Thank you in advance.

                                        Hi FlyNeX,
                                        i am no expert with that but i think you have to use collision lines with certain names. I have seen a thread about it in the forum or on a discord channel but did not find it again for the moment.

                                        Comment


                                          Hi , I was wondering if any pointers can be given to me to resolve and export error . When trying to export a complex model , despite having everything setup etc it get the following error :

                                          Traceback (most recent call last):
                                          File "C:\Users\Tomas\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\__init__.py", line 41, in execute
                                          prepareObjects()
                                          File "C:\Users\Tomas\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\io_BlenderEdmExporter\edmexporter.py", line 1459, in prepareObjects
                                          me.calc_tangents(uvmap=c.data.uv_layers[0].name)
                                          RuntimeError: Error: Tangent space computation needs an UVMap, "UVMap" not found, aborting

                                          I am using this with blender . Ive never had this issue before and just cant find what is missing . All uvs and texture are accounted and setup ...

                                          Any help will be great !

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X