This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speed View Post
    trigger.action.outTextForGroup- and all the outTextFor functions- got broken during the process of building one of the patches (I think it was 1.2.1). Group.getByName(string groupName):getID() is indeed the correct way to get a group's ID for this function (though- you wouldn't want to use EXACTLY that code for an ACTUAL mission- you'd generate a Lua error if that group was not alive. So first, you'd want to make sure that Group.getByName actually returned a group before you tried using getID).

Anyway, they should be fixed in a future DCS version.
    Yea, indeed I did so to be shure that this group is alive, but if this function is still broken there is no need of further talk on

Thx for the help
    Regards
    My Rig: Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7-8700k@4.7GHz, 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe, Samsung 3*1TB HDD (RAID 0), GTX1070 G1, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals + TrackIR5, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display

Comment

Speed
      On these functions is it possible to do the following;
      1. Use the next level down in deciding flags switch. for instance instead of saying "within 1000m of red vehicle" go down one level and say "within 1000m of red truck" or "Tank".
      2. Most options turn a flag on if event occurs. Is it possible to have the flag returned to false if unit leaves the zone.
      I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gunterlund21 View Post
        Speed
        On these functions is it possible to do the following;
        1. Use the next level down in deciding flags switch. for instance instead of saying "within 1000m of red vehicle" go down one level and say "within 1000m of red truck" or "Tank".
        2. Most options turn a flag on if event occurs. Is it possible to have the flag returned to false if unit leaves the zone.
        Yes, both are possible. Grimes was already telling me he think it would be a good idea to have further refined categories. I am planning on investigating it.

As far as flag off/unit outside zone/etc- they will probably be created one day, maybe a day not too far away from now.
        Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.
        Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/
        Lua scripts and mods:
        MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616
        Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979
        Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Comment

great thanks for the update Speed. Look forward to trying MIST. I get pushback for my missions because people dont want to hassle with slmod on the server so I hope MIST will eliminate that need and still give me the functionality I want. In particular the "in moving zone" function.
          I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gunterlund21 View Post
            great thanks for the update Speed. Look forward to trying MIST. I get pushback for my missions because people dont want to hassle with slmod on the server so I hope MIST will eliminate that need and still give me the functionality I want. In particular the "in moving zone" function.
            Mist can only eliminate the need for Slmod in some missions, unfortunately. There's a lot of things mission scripting just can't do.
            Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.
            Lua scripts and mods:
            Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Comment

Any chance MIST will one day be able to do the weapons impacting in zone?

Comment

use SLMOD during the waiting.....!
                Waiting for:DCS: Mi-24 Hind, ...
                Intel i5-7600K @4.1GHz, 32GB DDR4 @2400MHz, GTX 1070 Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB DDR5, WIN 10 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies"
                sigpic
                Ghost0815

Comment

Originally posted by Puddlemonkey View Post
                  Any chance MIST will one day be able to do the weapons impacting in zone?
                  Probably.
                  The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.
                  Current Projects: Scripting Wiki, Something...
                  Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread), SLMOD, IADScript, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Comment

Like I said, the main problem with weapons impacting in zone is the fact that the Unit.getTypeName is not fully implemented for weapons. In fact, it was probably never even intended to be used on weapons at all, but it works... a lot of the time, at least. Anyway, since it's relavent to what I'm about to post, this is what a shot event looks like:
                    Code:
                    { ["subPlace"] = 0, ["time"] = 43228.691, ["initiator"] = { ["id_"] = 16778752, }, ["target"] = { ["id_"] = 0, }, ["id"] = 1, ["place"] = { ["id_"] = 0, }, ["weapon"] = { ["id_"] = 33554688, }, }
                    See the "weapon" field? That's an Object, and while it's not a Unit, you can treat (or cast) the weapon as a Unit, and many of the Unit functions will or sometimes work. One that always works is Object.getPosition (Unit is a child class of Object, so it inherits Object.getPosition).

Anyway, I'm attaching a mission, "Weapons Impacting on Runway Demo.miz". Here's the script it uses.
                    Spoiler:

Code:
                    do 

local runwayHits = { [1] = {}, [2] = {}, [3] = {}, [4] = {}, [5] = {} }

-- Runway segment polygon zones
                        local segmentPolys = {}
                        segmentPolys[1] = mist.getGroupPoints('segment1')
                        segmentPolys[2] = mist.getGroupPoints('segment2')
                        segmentPolys[3] = mist.getGroupPoints('segment3')
                        segmentPolys[4] = mist.getGroupPoints('segment4')
                        segmentPolys[5] = mist.getGroupPoints('segment5')

local tracked_wpns = {}

-------------------------------------------------------------------
                        -- THE EVENT HANDLER
                        local shotHandler = function(event)
                            if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_SHOT then
                                if event.weapon then 
                                    local wpn = LuaClass.createFor(Unit, event.weapon.id_)
                                    if wpn:isExist() then
                                        local wpnName = wpn:getTypeName()
                                        if wpnName and type(wpnName) == 'string' and (wpnName:find('BetAB_500')) then
                                            local init = LuaClass.createFor(Unit, event.initiator.id_)
                                            local init_name = ''
                                            if init:isExist() then
                                                init_name = init:getName()
                                            end
                                            tracked_wpns[event.weapon.id_] = { wpn = wpn, init = init_name, pos = wpn:getPosition().p, dir = wpn:getPosition().x }
                                        end
                                    end
                                end
                            end
                        end
                        mist.addEventHandler(shotHandler)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    	-- THE WEAPONS TRACKING FUNCTION
                        local function track_wpns()
                            mist.scheduleFunction(track_wpns, {}, timer.getTime() + 0.05)  -- reschedule first

for wpn_id_, wpnData in pairs(tracked_wpns) do
                                if wpnData.wpn:isExist() then  -- just update position and direction.
                                    wpnData.pos = wpnData.wpn:getPosition().p
                                    wpnData.dir = wpnData.wpn:getPosition().x
                                else -- wpn no longer exists, must be dead.
                                    tracked_wpns[wpn_id_] = nil -- remove from tracked weapons first.
                                    local ip = land.getIP(wpnData.pos, wpnData.dir, 40)  -- terrain intersection point with weapon's nose.  Only search out 20 meters though.
                                    local impactPoint
                                    if not ip then -- use last position
                                        impactPoint = wpnData.pos
                                    else -- use intersection point
                                        impactPoint = ip
                                    end
                                    for i = 1, #segmentPolys do
                                        if mist.pointInPolygon(impactPoint, segmentPolys[i]) then -- weapon impacted in runway segment!
                                            runwayHits[i][#runwayHits[i] + 1] = wpnData.init
                                        end
                                    end
                                end
                            end
                        end

track_wpns()

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        --  MISSION SCORING AND DEBRIEF
                        function scoreMission() 
                            local deathPenalty = -175
                            local hitBonus = 50
                            local hitBonusDecay = 0.7
                            local reqPoints = 200

local score = 0

local loseFlag = 2001  -- for playing a sound (I could have used trigger.action.outSound, but I still would have had to attach the sound file on a trigger somewhere anyway)
                            local winFlag = 2000   -- for playing a sound (I could have used trigger.action.outSound, but I still would have had to attach the sound file on a trigger somewhere anyway)

local scoreMsg = 'Your mission score:\n\n'

local numDeaths = 0
                            for id_, object in pairs(mist.DBs.deadObjects) do
                                if object.objectData and object.objectData.unitName then
                                    if object.objectData.unitName == '101' or object.objectData.unitName == '102' or object.objectData.unitName == '103' or object.objectData.unitName == '104' then
                                        numDeaths = numDeaths + 1
                                    end
                                end
                            end

score =  score + numDeaths*deathPenalty

for i = 1, #runwayHits do
                                local hitScore = 0
                                 for i = 1, #runwayHits[i] do
                                    hitScore = hitScore + hitBonus*hitBonusDecay^(i-1)
                                 end
                                 scoreMsg = scoreMsg .. tostring(#runwayHits[i]) .. ' hits on runway segment ' .. tostring(i) .. ': ' .. tostring(mist.utils.round(hitScore, 1)) .. ' points.\n'
                                 score = score + hitScore
                            end

scoreMsg = scoreMsg .. '\n' .. tostring(numDeaths) .. ' aircraft lost: ' .. tostring(numDeaths*deathPenalty) .. ' points.\n\n'

scoreMsg = scoreMsg .. tostring(score) .. ' total points (' .. tostring(reqPoints) .. ' points needed for mission success).\n\n'

if score < reqPoints then
                                scoreMsg = scoreMsg .. 'MISSION FAILURE!'
                                trigger.action.setUserFlag(loseFlag, true)
                            else
                                scoreMsg = scoreMsg .. 'MISSION SUCCESSFUL!'
                                trigger.action.setUserFlag(winFlag, true)
                            end
                            trigger.action.outText(scoreMsg, 40)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            -- Debriefing second page
                            local function makeMsgLine(segNum)
                                local hitsBy = {0, 0, 0, 0}
                                for i = 1, #runwayHits[segNum] do
                                    if runwayHits[segNum][i] == '101' then
                                        hitsBy[1] = hitsBy[1] + 1
                                    elseif runwayHits[segNum][i] == '102' then
                                        hitsBy[2] = hitsBy[2] + 1
                                    elseif runwayHits[segNum][i] == '103' then
                                        hitsBy[3] = hitsBy[3] + 1
                                    elseif runwayHits[segNum][i] == '104' then
                                        hitsBy[4] = hitsBy[4] + 1
                                    end
                                end

return 'Hits on runway segment ' .. tostring(segNum) .. ': ' .. tostring(#runwayHits[segNum]) .. ' total hits;     ' .. tostring(hitsBy[1]) .. ' hits by 101;     '  .. tostring(hitsBy[2]) .. ' hits by 102;     '  .. tostring(hitsBy[3]) .. ' hits by 103;     '  .. tostring(hitsBy[4]) .. ' hits by 104.'
                            end

local msg = 'Additional weapons delivery information:\n' .. makeMsgLine(1) .. '\n' .. makeMsgLine(2) .. '\n' .. makeMsgLine(3) .. '\n' .. makeMsgLine(4) .. '\n' .. makeMsgLine(5)

mist.scheduleFunction(trigger.action.outText, {msg, 40}, timer.getTime() + 40)
                        end

end

This script has three main parts:

THE EVENT HANDLER:
                    Using mist.addEventHandler, we create an event handler that does the following: if a "shot" type event occurs (world.event.S_EVENT_SHOT), it captures each weapon's object and stores it in a table named "tracked_weapons"- but only if Unit.getTypeName returns a string typeName for that weapon that includes "BetAB_500"! So basically, it only stores BetAB-500 type bombs. Finally, in "tracked_weapons", the event handler also stores the name of the unit that shot the weapon, the initial position of the weapon, and the initial direction the weapon's nose is pointed (Pos3.x) as well.

THE WEAPONS TRACKING FUNCTION:
                    Using mist.scheduleFunction, we create a function that runs 20 times a second. This function looks inside the "tracked_weapons" table. For each entry in the tracked_weapons table, it first determines if that weapon is still alive. If that weapon is still alive, it updates the weapon's position, and updates the direction that the weapon's nose is pointed.

However, if the weapon is no longer alive, then we assume that the weapon impacted somewhere (you couldn't make this assumption for missiles, however!). First, we erase this weapon from the "tracked_weapons" table. Next, using land.getIP, we get the point on the ground that the weapon was pointed at- BUT ONLY IF THAT POINT IS WITHIN 40 METERS OF THE WEAPON. If land.getIP gave us a probable impact point of the weapon with these parameters, then that's where we assume the weapon impacted. If not, then we use the last known position of the weapon.

Finally, we compare this probable weapon impact point to five different polygon zones representing five different runway "segments". We make this comparison using mist.pointInPolygon. The polygon zones are created by the waypoints of five different aircraft groups (that are never activated). If the point is in one of the polygon zones, we store which polygon zone the weapon impacted inside, and who dropped the bomb, in the "runwayHits" table. Later, we will use this data for mission scoring and debrief.

The runway "segments":

MISSION SCORING:
                    Finally, we run a scoring and debrief function that gives you positive points for hits made on the runway segments (each sequential hit on the SAME runway segment is worth 70% as much as the previous hit on that segment), subtracted by a "deathPenalty". The deathPenalty subtracts 175 points from your mission score for each aircraft lost. Dead aircraft are counted using mist.DBs.deadObjects. If your final score is above 200 points, you "win" the mission, otherwise you lose. A "two page" debrief is provided, the first page of which details your mission score, and the second page of which tells you which multiplayer clients hit which runway segments, and how many times they did so.

Anyway, to see this all in action, run the attached mission. Bomb the runway. Now, select the "Ready for Debrief" option from the F10 "Other" radio menu.

So to those who know Lua, we can already track weapons in zones (however, there will be some weapons types you will not be able to get the names of with Unit.getTypeName). I would indeed suggest, now that the scripting engine is incorporated officially into DCS, that it would be a good idea to start learning the Lua language if you haven't already.

That said, we will, OF COURSE, continue to add to the selection of Mist Lua functions that are usable by persons without detailed knowledge of the Lua language, and we hope that this one day includes specialized Mist Lua functions for detecting weapons impacting in zones. Not everyone has the time (or desire) to learn programming, and that's what Mist is about- trying to save people time, and making mission creation easier
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Speed; 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM.
                    Lua scripts and mods:

Comment

Here's a stupid but fun one: fire guns in the attached mission to launch a "nuclear missile". Just make sure no other units are within 3 km of you when you do!
                      Spoiler:

Code:
                      do
                      	local prox = 3e3
                      	local maxRange = 75e3
                      	local distPerTick = 75
                      	local cooldown = 30

local function nuke(vars)

local function explode(pos, launcher)
                      			local msg = ''
                      			for id, unitData in pairs(mist.DBs.aliveUnits) do
                      				local unit = Unit.getByName(unitData.unitName)
                      				if unit then
                      					local dist = mist.vec.mag(mist.vec.sub(unit:getPosition().p, pos))
                      					if dist < 5000 then
                      						if dist > 500 then
                      							dist = 500
                      						end
                      						msg = msg .. launcher .. '\'s nuclear missile explodes, hitting ' .. unitData.unitName ..'!\n'
                      						trigger.action.explosion(unit:getPosition().p, dist)
                      					end
                      				end
                      			end
                      			trigger.action.explosion(pos, 50e6)
                      			if msg ~= '' then
                      				trigger.action.outText(msg, 10)
                      			end
                      		end

local launcherName = vars.launcherName
                      		local pos = vars.pos
                      		local dir = vars.dir
                      		local closestUnit = vars.closestUnit
                      		local prevRange = vars.prevRange
                      		local count = vars.count
                      		local start = vars.start

-- first, update pos
                      		pos = mist.vec.add(mist.vec.scalar_mult(dir, distPerTick), pos)

--now see if it's under land
                      		if land.getHeight(mist.utils.makeVec2(pos)) > pos.y then
                      			explode(pos, launcherName)
                      			return
                      		end

--maxRange check
                      		if mist.vec.mag(mist.vec.sub(pos, start)) > maxRange then
                      			return
                      		end

if not closestUnit then
                      			for id, unitData in pairs(mist.DBs.aliveUnits) do
                      				if unitData.unitName ~= launcherName then
                      					local unit = Unit.getByName(unitData.unitName)
                      					if unit then
                      						local dist = mist.vec.mag(mist.vec.sub(unit:getPosition().p, pos))
                      						if dist < prox then
                      							closestUnit = unit
                      							prevRange = dist
                      						end
                      					end
                      				end
                      			end
                      		else
                      			if closestUnit:isExist() then
                      				local dist = mist.vec.mag(mist.vec.sub(closestUnit:getPosition().p, pos))
                      				if dist > prevRange then  -- explode
                      					return
                      				else
                      					prevRange = dist
                      				end
                      			else  -- explode
                      				return
                      			end
                      		end

-- if here, just create a tracking explosion (if necessary) then re-schedule.
                      		if count%7 == 0 then  --create a tracking explosion
                      			trigger.action.explosion(pos, 5)
                      		end
                      		count = count + 1

local newVars = {}
                      		newVars.launcherName = launcherName
                      		newVars.pos = pos
                      		newVars.dir = dir
                      		newVars.closestUnit = closestUnit
                      		newVars.prevRange = prevRange
                      		newVars.count = count
                      		newVars.start = start

mist.scheduleFunction(nuke, {newVars}, timer.getTime() + 0.05)

end

local cooldowns = {}
                      	local names = { [1] = 'F-15 #1',
                      					[2] = 'F-15 #2',
                      					[3] = 'F-15 #3',
                      					[4] = 'F-15 #4',
                      					[5] = 'Su-27 #1',
                      					[6] = 'Su-27 #2',
                      					[7] = 'Su-27 #3',
                      					[8] = 'Su-27 #4'
                      					}

local function launchNuke(initiator)
                      		local pos3 = Unit.getPosition(initiator)
                      		if pos3 then
                      			local dir = pos3.x
                      			local pos = mist.vec.add(mist.vec.scalar_mult(dir, 100), pos3.p)
                      			local vars = {}
                      			vars.launcherName = Unit.getName(initiator)
                      			vars.pos = pos
                      			vars.dir = dir
                      			vars.count = 0
                      			vars.start = pos
                      			nuke(vars)
                      			trigger.action.outSound('nuke.wav')
                      			for i, name in pairs(names) do
                      				if vars.launcherName == name then
                      					mist.scheduleFunction(trigger.action.setUserFlag, {i, true}, timer.getTime() + 30.1)
                      				end
                      			end
                      		end
                      	end

local shotHandler = function(event)
                      		if event.id == world.event.S_EVENT_SHOT then
                      			if event.weapon and (not Unit.hasAttribute(event.weapon, 'Missile')) and (not Unit.hasAttribute(event.weapon, 'Bomb')) and (not Unit.hasAttribute(event.weapon, 'Rocket')) then
                      				if event.initiator then
                      					local initName = Unit.getName(event.initiator)
                      					if initName and initName ~= '' then
                      						if cooldowns[initName] then
                      							if cooldowns[initName] < timer.getTime() - 30 then -- out of cooldown
                      								cooldowns[initName] = timer.getTime()
                      								launchNuke(event.initiator)
                      							end
                      						else
                      							cooldowns[initName] = timer.getTime()
                      							launchNuke(event.initiator)
                      						end

end
                      				end
                      			end
                      		end
                      	end

mist.addEventHandler(shotHandler)
                      end
                      Attached Files
                      Lua scripts and mods:

Comment

Can't force system failures on client aircraft with LUA either. However blowing up units is kind of easy, although I'm not sure how big of a performance impact there will be with the following method.

Use mist.getUnitsinZones to populate a table of units within the zone radius. Once you have the table of units within the zone iterate through each unit and get the units position. Then generate an explosion at each position using this trigger.action.explosion(vec 3, power).
                        Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread), SLMOD, IADScript, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Comment

How to un-protect the mission scripting environment so you can write files, load modules, etc.

To ensure your safety, several "dangerous" Lua modules are removed, aka "sanitized", from the mission scripting Lua environment. These modules are the io library (read/write files), the os library (command prompt access), the lfs library (Lua File System- creation of folders, folder location, files in folders, etc.) and the require and loadlib functions. This prevents someone from making a mission that will install viruses/format your C: drive, etc when you run it.

Several patches back, "Saint" (Святой) helpfully moved this "sanitization" code from C++ into the ./Scripts/MissionScripting.lua file. This allows you to optionally un-protect the mission scripting Lua environment and have access to the FULL set of Lua libraries. So, you could for example, output mission data to a file for use in Excel, load Lua socket and send mission data over the network- whatever you desire!

So, to un-protect the mission scripting Lua environment, you simply need to comment out lines 33 through 39 of ./Scripts/MissionScripting.lua:

I would not recommend this as a permanent mod, not if you ever run missions/tracks from untrustworthy sources, but this SURE comes in useful from time to time!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Speed; 12-09-2012, 07:02 PM.
                          Lua scripts and mods:

Comment

This allows you to optionally un-protect the mission scripting Lua environment and have access to the FULL set of Lua libraries. So, you could for example, output mission data to a file for use in Excel, load Lua socket and send mission data over the network- whatever you desire!
                            Interesting... So a fellow could create database of flags and write that data to an excel file, and then have another mission read that same database of flags?

My thought is that this would enable a mission designer to do some rudimentary version of damage tracking for SAM/AAA and EW units/ groups, as well as for artillery and really any number of 'front line' combatants. So you could have a semi-dynamic moving FLOT from mission to mission.

Suddenly building a proper ground-war campaign gets a helluva lot more interesting.

EDIT: Let me understand this better -- if one were to build a mission that wrote data to a third file, as well as read data from the same file, what would that require in terms of this mod, Speed? Would it mean that that each user would need to have this same mod set up, as you have shown us here, with the lines commented out? Surely that would be heading a bit too far in the direction of a permanent mod, and ED might intervene and break this feature, should they perceive that it puts users too much at risk -- nothing prevents someone from making a mission that will install viruses/format your C: drive, etc when you run it.

An ideal scenario would be to work with ED a little bit here and ask for a set up whereby ANY novice mission builder would have the ability to WRITE ALL FLAG VALUES (from Flag 1 to 9999) to a file, whenever triggered in the mission editor, as well as allowing the same novice mission builder the ability to READ ALL FLAG VALUES, again from 1 to 9999, from the same said file -- and to allow us the ability to do this NOT AS A MOD that opens the door to God-knows-what, but within the framework of the ME and the sim. Essentially WRITE ALL FLAG VALUES and READ ALL FLAG VALUES should be Actions that can be selected in the trigger menu. Wags will recognize the value in this, as they allowed for this in Janes F/A-18 years ago (campaign variables) as well as allowing for damage tracking.

If I have derailed the thread I apologize -- but this is potentially HUGE.
                            Last edited by Ripcord; 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

You can certainly write files. That is how we created the DB examples and I often output tables for bug testing missions. Opening files is a different issue that Speed could better answer. However as your edited posts notes, these lua environments have been sanitized by default for a very good reason.

Comment

Do you think it is a reasonable request, then, to ask that we have an 'in-game' trigger action to write/read flag values? Certainly we cannot demand it, or even expect it, but what an improvement it would be.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X