Has anyone cracked the code on...

jmarso

Getting units to attack the targets they are supposed to attack, and not meander off and try to blow up everything on the map?

AI SEAD is the specific problem I'm dealing with, but there are some air to air issues as well. Fighters don't seem to want to limit themselves to their engagement zones.

With the SEAD deal, I've tried all of the following: Search and engage in zone, Search and engage group, Attack group, checked the group attack box, tried setting ROE options for Priority Designated and Only Designated, so on and so forth. I set the jettison stores ability to off so they can't dump their ordnance the first time they get shot at, and that works okay. I make sure they have ordnance and sensors appropriate to the task. Still, no matter what I try to set it up, the flight will roll in on something like a ZSU or SAM site, shoot a couple targets in the group, and then off they go to wildly diverse corners of the map looking for targets when their assigned group is still mostly intact.

Anyone have this worked out? (In a way that does not involve lua scripting, I might add...)

I tried changing their tasking to CAS and the same thing happened.

I believe the point is that the main group task generally over-rides waypoint tasks, so a CAS main task commands the group to attack detected ground units. Work around this limitation by choosing a main task (some experimenting may be needed), then give the group initial weapons hold and no reaction to threat waypoint tasks.When near the desired targets, assign appropriate ROE, threat and attack waypoint tasks. This is sort of a black science.