ADF/VOR radio for moving ships?

Hammer1-1

I am trying to get a moving ship the ability to allow the UH-1H to navigate to a moving ship. Problem is that the ship only has TACAN navigation, but the Huey only uses VOR/ADF navcom, and on the LHS class you cant place any static objects on deck without it drifting off the ship. Is there a way to add navigation assistance in the FM/AM radio range?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Not at the moment. I need to check with statics. You should be able to place static planes, helos and personnel on the deck and lock it to the Tarawa. What I didn't try to place a radio message on a static via Trigger editor/script...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Here is the jist of my solution. Have a unit broadcast on a khz freq. Due to the "units sink though the deck" problem, I chose an aircraft that could operate off of the LHD.

1.2Mhz is 1200khz. You can change the freq to what you want. Also, if you just want navigation instead of Congratulations by Post Malone, you can loop a silent sound file.

The AI will start up, do a circuit, land, shut off the chopper, but will keep transmitting the freq. There are ways to have the AI actually do stuff that may or may not be more believable, but that's a lesson for another time. I have been fast forwarding for a game-time of 1.5 hrs, so I'd believe that it works over a multi hour mission.

Ignore the trigger zone in the pic. That was for a failed earlier test.

1857803580_2020-10-3112_21_51-DigitalCombatSimulator.thumb.jpg.ffaa4c2e48d76c0d711caaaa432abfe3.jpg 218700705_2020-10-3112_22_08-DigitalCombatSimulator.thumb.jpg.7ed154e2ed74468a948223159640c1fa.jpg

• Thanks 1

Awesome! Ill give it a shot and see where this goes. Thanks for the assist, I will report back and give details.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I implemented this function without the need to include any additional units with MOOSE Framework.
1. Generate a Morse code like TKR at https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html
  Pitch: 400
  Character speed: 10
  Farnsworth speed: 10
2. Edit the audio file to include pause by extending its duration to 10 seconds
3. In ME create a trigger SOUND TO COUNTRY (Ukraine, morse.wav)
4. Name the LHA "USS Tarawa" in the ME
5. Follow the standard procedure for MOOSE to execute the following code:

carrier_unit = UNIT:FindByName( 'USS Tarawa' )

-- Carrier NDB
local CarrierBeacon = carrier_unit:GetBeacon()
local frequency = 0.42  -- in MHz
local modulation = radio.modulation.AM
local power = 100 -- Standard for VOR
local file = 'morse.wav'  -- Dots and Dashes: - -.- .-.
CarrierBeacon:RadioBeacon( file, frequency, modulation, power )

Edited by Scifer
Optimize code
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Scifer said:

I implemented this function without the need to include any additional units with MOOSE Framework.
1. Generate a Morse code like TKR at https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html

-- Carrier NDB

Nice! Thx given!

• 5 months later...

On 11/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, Scifer said:

-- Carrier NDB

Many thanks for your detailled instructions, but homing to the beacon leads exactly to the initial point of my moving Tarawa instead to its current position. For testing purposes I've added a static Arleigh Burke right next to the movin' Tarawa and the origin of the beacon signal stays unchanged near the Arleigh Burke.

Mission: CA UH-1H MovingFMHomingMOOSE.miz

Track: CA UH-1H MovingFMHomingMOOSE3.trk

Did I miss something in the script or in the mission setup, is there another issue or is this type of beacon for non-moving units only?

Edited by AstonMartinDBS
.miz and .trk replaced by smaller files

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I've downloaded the latest version of MOOSE from github.com and updated the mission, but the problem persists.

Is there any possibility to link the beacon to the moving Tarawa?

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

Thanks for clarification @Chump.

I'm just asking, why ED doesn't add the commands 'Transmit Message' and 'Set Frequency' to the advanced waypoint actions of ships? This it is already possible for ground units and makes it very easy to setup a well working beacon for such units, even if they are moving.

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

I did not realize that this was still an issue (ME's progress sometimes appears glacial). If so, DML can resolve this easily with an "NDB" zone attribute and the zone itself linked to a unit. See the "ADF and NDB fun" demo that is included with DML. And yes, the transmitter moves with the ship. 

• Like 1

And here's the demo itself. Click on the trigger zones and loot at the attributes. A trigger zone with an "NDB" attribute is an NDB that is managed by DML. There are two moving NDB in the demo, one following a Hummer on the airfield, the second attached to a battle cruiser, steaming north off the Batumi coast. Take the Huey, set its ADF to 540 kHz, and try to find it (the cruiser) in the rain. 

demo - ADF and NDB fun.miz

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot, @cfrag!

Your solution works great, and the mission file stays tiny compared to MOOSE!

[OS] Windows 11 Pro