Introducing EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

There aren't any AWACS scripts that I've come across outside of the one on the 159th forums, so I thought I would have a crack at creating one. Basically EWRS passes on BRA information, via text, on threats that selected friendly radars are picking up.

Features:
    - Uses in-game radar information to detect targets so terrain masking, beaming, low altitude flying, etc is effective for avoiding detection
    - Dynamic. If valid units with radar are created during a mission (eg. via chopper with CTLD), they will be added to the EWRS radar network
    - Can allow / disable BRA messages to fighters or sides
    - Uses player aircraft or mission bullseye for BRA reference, can be changed via F10 radio menu or restricted to one reference in the script settings
    - Can switch between imperial (feet, knots, NM) or metric (meters, km/h, km) measurements using F10 radio menu
    - Ability to change the message display time and automated update interval
    - Can choose to disable automated messages and allow players to request BRA from F10 menu
    - Can allow players to request Bogey Dope at any time through F10 radio menu
    - Can allow players to request Friendly Picture to see where the closest friendly aircraft(s) to them are.

This is the first time I've done anything with LUA apart from fiddling around with ciribob's CTLD script. I'm not an experienced programmer, and I drive trains for a living, so please be gentle with any criticisms of the code. I'll be continuing to work on this and add features for a while.

If you have any problems, please open an issue on Github, PM me or post here. Please try and describe the bug as best you can and when it occurred and include a copy of dcs.log from your saved games folder.

The script can be found on GitHub here: https://github.com/Bob7heBuilder/EWRS

Hopefully some of you guys will find this useful. If you have any questions or feature requests, fire away.

Cheers
    Steggles
    Last edited by Steggles; 06-29-2016, 10:19 AM. Reason: Updating
    -16AGR- 16th Air Guards Regiment is always looking for pilots - www.16agr.com

EWRS - Early Warning Radar Script

Specs:
    Spoiler:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S
    Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz OC'd 3.9GHz w/ Thermaltake 120mm Water 3.0 Pro Liquid CPU Cooler
    16GB RAM
    Gigabyte GTX 1080
    TM Hotas Warthog: SN: 06976
    Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals
    TrackIR5 with TrackClipPro & Oculus Rift
    2x 28" 4k UHD Monitors (3840x2160 each) + 1280x1024

Steggles, mate, thank you so much for this! I know I will definitely find uses for this in my meager attempts at mission making for myself. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to checking it out.
    Justificus

System Specs:
    Spoiler:
    i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Comment

Good job dude! I'll have a crack at this and see how it goes down.
      ___________________________________________________________________________
      SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING * PLAYLIST

Comment

Very nifty piece of work.

Comment

Awesome! I'll definitely be giving this a try
          CM Storm case | i7 6700k @ 4GHz | MSI GTX1080 | 32GB Kingston Predator PC3000 RAM | SB ZXR sound | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung Evo 850 2TB | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM.

Comment

Nice work Steggles! Looks good
            Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD
            CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup
            Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
            DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Comment

Big thanks!! this is needed for Korean's missions!

Comment

Thank you for your work, such automated GCI is a bless.
                Yet I couldn't get it to work in multiplayer mission, and I am in the dark why it does not work as expected. It just does not show up in the comms menu, know I join as a client. Please check current mission on <51>SERVER dedicated, I am loading your script there seconds after mission starts.
                51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)
                100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky
                tail# 44 or 444
                sigpic 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Comment

Excellent stuff!

I see this as an advantage actually -
                  At the moment, because of limitations within DCS to not show messages to individual units, the reference, measurements, and messages
                  are done per group. So a group of 4 fighters will each receive 4 BRA messages. Each message however, will have the player's name
                  in it, that its refering to. Its unfortunate, but nothing I can do about it.

Question - How about impact on server stability and lag?
                  From past experience I noticed that running functions constantly on large pieces of data will take it's toll on multiplayer and could possibly cause small server hiccups which in return generate warping/lag.
                  sigpic
                  BuddySpike Website | Live Map & Statistics
                  BuddySpike Twitch Channel
                  Buddyspike Discord
                  Buddyspike Facebook

Comment

Request feature to turn off the picture report.
                    When there is no need to use it its only cluttering the screen.

Other than that it works great!
                    sigpic

We are looking for Swedish members!
                    www.masterarms.se

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvern View Post
                      Request feature to turn off the picture report.
                      When there is no need to use it its only cluttering the screen.

Other than that it works great!
                      When there's no threats detected? I'll add that in tonight when I finish work.

EDIT: Changes are in place, and updated on GitHub. https://github.com/Bob7heBuilder/EWRS
                      Last edited by Steggles; 01-10-2016, 03:28 PM.

Specs:
                      Spoiler:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S
                      Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz OC'd 3.9GHz w/ Thermaltake 120mm Water 3.0 Pro Liquid CPU Cooler
                      16GB RAM
                      Gigabyte GTX 1080

Comment

Came here to ask for that, see its already done, walk away thinking i''m psychic, many thanks those that contributed
                        Originally posted by Steggles View Post
                        When there's no threats detected? I'll add that in tonight when I finish work.

EDIT: Changes are in place, and updated on GitHub. https://github.com/Bob7heBuilder/EWRS

Comment

New Version

Changes:
                          -Uses extra radar information to know if type and distance is known to the target
                          -Can be switched on and off in the script settings

Basically won't give aircraft type if its not known, and won't supply BRA if the radar can't get distance information

https://github.com/Bob7heBuilder/EWRS

Specs:
                          Spoiler:

Gigabyte Sniper Z5-S
                          16GB RAM
                          Gigabyte GTX 1080

Comment

thx. this is brilliant!

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

Comment

Doesn't load as an MP client Steggles.

Comment

Working...
                              X