Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need to replace my thrustmaster warthog joystick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    need to replace my thrustmaster warthog joystick

    hi guys, i am just wanting to know what Winwing can offer and what the user experience is, as you probably know the warthog joystick base suffers from massive sticktion. need something silky smooth. can you narrate your experience please of using the winwing joystick? can i put the warthog stick on it, or do i need to get the complete unit, any problems with the winwing i should be aware of?

    #2
    I am curious about the opinion of those with the stick as well. I know it had some issues early on, but its improved? Any of the stick snobs pick one up?

    I've got a fssb r3L w/ f16GRH on the side w/ Gunfighter and MCG pro in center. I've been contemplating going virpil so as to be able to use realsims f-18 grip. I don't suppose anybody has had hands on both?

    btw intend to pickup winwing throttle and probably panels, hence the question. Big realsim fan fwiw if it maters
    just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by sk000tch View Post
      I am curious about the opinion of those with the stick as well. I know it had some issues early on, but its improved? Any of the stick snobs pick one up?

      I've got a fssb r3L w/ f16GRH on the side w/ Gunfighter and MCG pro in center. I've been contemplating going virpil so as to be able to use realsims f-18 grip. I don't suppose anybody has had hands on both?

      btw intend to pickup winwing throttle and probably panels, hence the question. Big realsim fan fwiw if it maters
      i am begging to think i need to go down the road of stripping down my thrust-master and sand the gimble and regrease it to get the smoothness i want. virpil has not answered my sales inquiry, and i see a couple of people have mentioned that winwing have gone radio silence on them. that sort of stuff freaks me out as these toys are not cheap. for me, when i hit radio silence it usually means i am somewhere iam not supposed to be

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by treasure View Post

        i am begging to think i need to go down the road of stripping down my thrust-master and sand the gimble and regrease it to get the smoothness i want. virpil has not answered my sales inquiry, and i see a couple of people have mentioned that winwing have gone radio silence on them. that sort of stuff freaks me out as these toys are not cheap. for me, when i hit radio silence it usually means i am somewhere iam not supposed to be
        I regreased my Warthog stick with Nyogel 767a (bought it from Ebay) and the result is awesome. Waaaay better than the first time I got it. I didnt sand it (couldnt open it) only regreased with Nyogel. You do not need alot only little on articulated sphere and other contacts. The sticky has gone and it really is the best stick in its price range IMO.

        good luck.
        Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Oceandar View Post
          I regreased my Warthog stick with Nyogel 767a (bought it from Ebay) and the result is awesome. Waaaay better than the first time I got it. I didnt sand it (couldnt open it) only regreased with Nyogel. You do not need alot only little on articulated sphere and other contacts. The sticky has gone and it really is the best stick in its price range IMO.

          good luck.
          wish i could see where u greased it if you didnt open it

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Oceandar View Post
            I regreased my Warthog stick with Nyogel 767a (bought it from Ebay) and the result is awesome. Waaaay better than the first time I got it. I didnt sand it (couldnt open it) only regreased with Nyogel.
            So this means you mixed the original grease with the Nyogel? Way to go there Oceandar...


            Originally posted by treasure View Post
            i am begging to think i need to go down the road of stripping down my thrust-master and sand the gimble and regrease it to get the smoothness i want. virpil has not answered my sales inquiry, and i see a couple of people have mentioned that winwing have gone radio silence on them. that sort of stuff freaks me out as these toys are not cheap. for me, when i hit radio silence it usually means i am somewhere iam not supposed to be
            Stripping and sanding and greasing will not give you a prefect smooth ride. Not on that gimbal or with that heavy spring in it. Did the same and also added Sajah's green spring but even then it was no comparison to my old Ubermodded Cougar. So i looked around and ended up with Virpil. Bought a WarBRD base, put in the no center cams, the heavy springs and then it's just on par with my Uber Cougar, super silky smooth. And you can change the VID ID of the Virpil WarBRD so Target (if you use that) sees your WarBRD as a Thrustmaster Warthog Stick. No need to change any profile.

            PS: those that say that sanding and greasing did give them a smooth stick movement have probably never used anything else...
            Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.
            Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

            Comment


              #7
              Code:
              So this means you mixed the original grease with the Nyogel? Way to go there Oceandar...:music_whistling:
              I did remove the original grease as much as I could ofc it was not really clean but I'm happy with the result.


              Code:
              PS: those that say that sanding and greasing did give them a smooth stick movement have probably never used anything else...:joystick:
              Lol yes I don't have and probably would never have Virpil but I do have other joysticks (Hotas) like X52, CH Fighterstick and FFB2 sidewinder and I know for sure there's big different after greasing it with Nyogel.
              Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by treasure View Post

                wish i could see where u greased it if you didnt open it
                I only couldnt open the ball joint (too afraid to push it) and the rest was more less the same with videos you could find on Youtube.
                Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Lange_666 View Post
                  So this means you mixed the original grease with the Nyogel? Way to go there Oceandar...



                  Stripping and sanding and greasing will not give you a prefect smooth ride. Not on that gimbal or with that heavy spring in it. Did the same and also added Sajah's green spring but even then it was no comparison to my old Ubermodded Cougar. So i looked around and ended up with Virpil. Bought a WarBRD base, put in the no center cams, the heavy springs and then it's just on par with my Uber Cougar, super silky smooth. And you can change the VID ID of the Virpil WarBRD so Target (if you use that) sees your WarBRD as a Thrustmaster Warthog Stick. No need to change any profile.

                  PS: those that say that sanding and greasing did give them a smooth stick movement have probably never used anything else...
                  hey Lange, would you mind providing a link to where i can view the Cougar? thx

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I sold my Cougar last year and got a Warthog.

                    Examples of mods can be found here: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php (scroll way down)

                    A few snippets
                    Ian's Uber variants:








                    Evenstrain mod:





                    But i think you can only find them second handed these days.
                    Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.
                    Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Lange_666 View Post
                      I sold my Cougar last year and got a Warthog.

                      Examples of mods can be found here: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php (scroll way down)

                      A few snippets
                      Ian's Uber variants:








                      Evenstrain mod:





                      But i think you can only find them second handed these days.
                      thx Lange

                      Comment


                        #12
                        My ecosystem:
                        • TM Warthog on WarBrd
                        • TM FA18 on TM base
                        • WW stick on WW base
                        • VKB MCG on GF3
                        Comparions:
                        I find that the TM FA-18 grip is feels more "premium" and is of better quality than WW. Also, they are slightly different in size, with TM being 1:1 replica, while WW is slightly smaller. The WW's tiny 5 way hat is a bit of a pain to use. I much prefer TM's approach of having a button and a separate roller with a middle press in the area of "EVENT Mark" switch.
                        I purchased a TM adapter to allow me to use TM on WW base, but didn't install it yet.

                        TM on Warbrd: Configuration: default cams and default "heavy" spring. Issue: due to the TM's grips heavy weight, it feels "bouncy" especially in the center, even with the standard heavy springs. However, I like the linear movement across the entire range (same resistance). TM sticks work without the need for any adapters.

                        TM FA18 on TM base: Stick feel/quality is awesome. The base has some issues, one can even "twist" the stick a few mm when trying to press some buttons.

                        WW stick on WW base: OK stick quality. The base is decent. However, it increases the force necessary to move the stick as it moves further from the center. I don't like this feature and as such an not installing a TM stick on it yet.
                        You can purchase a TM adapter for this base.

                        VKB: Stick feels "toyish" but good base quality.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X