Winwing export eating cpu cycles

VirusAM

Hi guys...i was going mad as in the last few days my fps were taxed both in 2d and in VR without nothing changing on my PC....

Then I tought that something has indeed changed, last Wednesday I received winwing throttle...so i tried to run dcs without it connected and without simapp pro...but the issue was not resolved...

Then after a lot of trials and head bashing...I tought about the export scripts...so i commented the two lines added automatically by the winwing software (needed for backlight and apu light syncing) and puff problem solved and my fps and frametimes back to normal....

I want to specify that this happened also in 2d with the monitor as i had low frames and stutters while usually my sim experience is smooth as silk with a monitor.

I described the issue here:

What is happening to my PC?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=74365&share_tid=276970&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D276970&share_type=t&link_source=app

So I think that maybe other people are experiencing the same and this could help them.

I post here screenshots of my fps and frametimes with the export commented and with export on...the mission is the same (f18 caucasus instant action)

702469049022f4ff6dc0b6fcaf28ce0a.png3ad063fe2f99375027f9f4cd11ddb356.png

Also if you need it...these are the two lines to comment to disable simapppro exports

173fe07e1c8718fcc1ed2d43c7ff678f.png

So Alex if you read this, please try to do something as it is nice to have the lighting synchronized with the Sim but without losing half of the frames would be way better (i use both 2d and VR)...Also i have a other exports and no one of them is causing issues...

So I think that your ones could be optimized, maybe you use some function that taxes the cpu too much (and mine is a very powerful one).

Thanks

Edited by VirusAM
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Interesting find. It doesn’t seem to put a heavy load on your CPU, yet frame time is all over the places. I’ll have to test it with my VR setup. I wonder if you could mitigate this with process lasso fixing that process to a specific CPU core or two. But yeah, I don’t need anything extra to slow down my system. From my own experiences, synchronized lightings doesn’t happen unless you run SimAppPro in the background though.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Interesting find. It doesn’t seem to put a heavy load on your CPU, yet frame time is all over the places. I’ll have to test it with my VR setup. I wonder if you could mitigate this with process lasso fixing that process to a specific CPU core or two. But yeah, I don’t need anything extra to slow down my system. From my own experiences, synchronized lightings doesn’t happen unless you run SimAppPro in the background though.

The problem is that the process you talk about is the DCS lua interpreter...

The issue doesn’t regard simapppro, as i tried with it closed.

When the export script is running gives this issue..

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

I am pretty sure the script that is called that you have hightlighted - wwt/wwtExport.lua have a export frequency or interval inside them. You can probably turn that down to 0.5 sec or so.

Yep, it looks like it is set at 0.01. I'll try to change things around see how it affects the framerate.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Yep, it looks like it is set at 0.01. I'll try to change things around see how it affects the framerate.

Yep i checked too...it’s 0.01...

Probably tuning this value would be the best bet...

But for now i am leaving it without scripts...

Anyway dis you experience similar issues as me?

It’s strange i am the only one that noted it...

Or maybe most people didn’t activate the sync between dcs and the panel (I think that this option triggered the script installation)...

I always need to try and test everything otherwise I am not happy

I've been testing this, and it doesn't appear to affect my system at all. I left the export.lua alone and checked framerate as well as frametime (have fpsVR, MSI Afterburner, and DCS fps counter all running), then commented the two lines and there was no difference. Note that I don't run SimAppPro in the background (also disabled autostart with Windows).

My VR setup is Valve Index, and fairly taxing settings with PD 1.2, MSSA 2x, Shadow low/default (these are the biggest FPS eaters for my system). I even tested at Khasab airport which is typically very taxing during landing and my FPS appears as good as ever, in the past I would have had a brief framedrop after touchdown and while turning into the parking area but none today. I also tested on the realistic carrier coldstart mission, and didn't not experience any framerate change.

My headset is set at 80 Hz and I'm consistently getting 40+ fps at this setting, which is my bottomline for regular play. In Caucasus instant free flying, I could even get up to 80 fps with PD 1.0, flat shadow.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

I've been testing this, and it doesn't appear to affect my system at all. I left the export.lua alone and checked framerate as well as frametime (have fpsVR, MSI Afterburner, and DCS fps counter all running), then commented the two lines and there was no difference. Note that I don't run SimAppPro in the background (also disabled autostart with Windows).

My VR setup is Valve Index, and fairly taxing settings with PD 1.2, MSSA 2x, Shadow low/default (these are the biggest FPS eaters for my system). I even tested at Khasab airport which is typically very taxing during landing and my FPS appears as good as ever, in the past I would have had a brief framedrop after touchdown and while turning into the parking area but none today. I also tested on the realistic carrier coldstart mission, and didn't not experience any framerate change.

My headset is set at 80 Hz and I'm consistently getting 40+ fps at this setting, which is my bottomline for regular play. In Caucasus instant free flying, I could even get up to 80 fps with PD 1.0, flat shadow.

Well I double checked...enabling it again made the same effect...

The other scripts I have are tacview srs and simshaker I don’t know if something of this can confict with winwing scripts

No idea, I have nothing else running in export.lua other than Winwing’s code. May be someone else can test this and chime in. The only framedrop scenario that I still have is in the takeoff training mission when you taxi pass multiple planes to the runway. Once I’m through with those planes it was fine again.

Hi, could you please send mail to info@winwing.cn, we need to do a remote for you to see what happen, as we test it ok in our side.

Thanks.

• Thanks 2

Websit:http://WWW.WINWING.CN

FULL METAL F/A-18 HOTAS MANUFACTURER

(Include F18 Joystick/Throttle/Grip/Panels)

FACEBOOK GROUP:https://www.facebook.com/groups/HOTAS/

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK :https://www.facebook.com/winwing.cn/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure i will send you immediately.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

WinWing:

Did you resolve this? For Helios, I abandoned the "NextEvent" style of exports because of changes made in recent OpenBeta seemed to screw up the scheduling for very high update rates (like your 100Hz rate.) So now I just run on "BeforeNextFrame" with my own governor to limit the rate.

I have it running with no issues

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 4 weeks later...

I had it literally at least doubling my CPU frametimes. I went from like 25+ms to like 8-10ms by commenting it out. Luckily I fly in VR so don't care about, but I was never running the interface to begin with.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I didn’t notice this problem in 2D mode as FPS is always 60+ (also there is no way to check CPU frametime). However, in VR flying over CPU taxing areas with fpsVR, it became very apparent when you look at the CPU frametime.

Another victim of this problem here, was thinking that DCS optimization was crap until I read some of the present gents in another thread. After erase the Wingwing line in export.lua I go from 30's to 10ms frametimes.

Yeah....after every ww firmware update I need to remember to delete these lines in export.lua.

But later i discoveres that also helios export cause the same issue.

Its also an interesting thing if this is some new behavior due to new spaghetti code from ED. I basically noticed that like a week or two AFTER Syria came out, that at one point my frames took a huge dump which I attribute to this. I never updated Winwings app since I don't use it, but I wonder if it was some ED update.

Either way they probably need to fix it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its also an interesting thing if this is some new behavior due to new spaghetti code from ED. I basically noticed that like a week or two AFTER Syria came out, that at one point my frames took a huge dump which I attribute to this. I never updated Winwings app since I don't use it, but I wonder if it was some ED update.

Either way they probably need to fix it.

Every time you start simapppro it checks the lua file and update it if those lines are not there...

I was just pointing out this.

I don’t think ED has nothing to do with this

Yeah....after every ww firmware update I need to remember to delete these lines in export.lua.

But later i discoveres that also helios export cause the same issue.

If you are seeing significant performance impact from Helios 1.6 exports, please let me know by filing a bug here

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/issues/new

or reaching out on Discord

https://discord.gg/qtvdVWc

If you are seeing significant performance impact from Helios 1.6 exports, please let me know by filing a bug here

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/issues/new

or reaching out on Discord

https://discord.gg/qtvdVWc

Hi,

I would do that, but I am not using Helios at the moment, as i am using VR and so my little screens are not used.

Anyway I found out performances issue some months ago when I tried the new version but I cannot say if those are still there.

If you need I can enable again the helios export and let you know if it happens again.

Hi,

I would do that, but I am not using Helios at the moment, as i am using VR and so my little screens are not used.

Anyway I found out performances issue some months ago when I tried the new version but I cannot say if those are still there.

If you need I can enable again the helios export and let you know if it happens again.

I always appreciate more data.

I would need the settings that you have for "Export Frequency" in the DCS interface for your Helios profile. And then just let me know what FPS you have without and with Helios exports running.

But of course I don't expect you do that just for testing if you are using VR now :). Anyway, if you end up playing with Helios again, then I would love this data.

• 1 month later...

My flight panels from winwing arrived yesterday, so I started using the winwing export again.

I'm noticing the cpu/fps performance issue as well on my rig with the winwing lines in the export.lua, even when I remove VAICOMM and Simshaker. Has there been any progress done on this weird export.lua behaviour ?

i7 4790K, 1080ti, oculus quest+link, winwing f18 hotas, MFG crosswind

custom AB2 pit

Can you use the panels without the export like the throttle?