Weird F10 map kills VR image problem

Harlikwin

So this has happened a few times now, and asking around on discord I'm not the only one.

Setup: See my system specs, but basically HP Reverb gen1 (WMR), running steam version of DCS.

Problem.

When flying on the Syria map online (only seems to happen there)

Goto F10 map, and frametimes soar, it stutters and the headset image goes black.

On the screen mirror image it does go to the F10 map, and I can get back to the F1 view in the mirror but the headset image stays blacked out, however the headset is still running and tracks, so functionally its like using the worlds worst trackIR. I Can often land the plane like this, but the frame times are terrible (CPU).

I'd post a track, but its very random and intermittent and only online so far.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well, I figured this would happen... Just received my HP Reverb G2 (bumped up from G1). Everything ran great for 1.5 days, then problems...

SteamVR locks up when I'm in DCS multiplayer. Sometimes, when the G2 doesn't 'black screen' when jumping into the pit, it will 'black screen' when I press F10 for the map.

Fortunately, my monitor continues to show what's going on. I can press escape and exit out of DCS. No issues when on single-player.

Added:

I did some research. It could be a Microsoft power USB setting.

1. Go to 'Power Options' >>> 'Change Advanced power settings'.

2. Scroll down to 'USB settings' > 'USB selective suspending setting'

3. Change from 'Enable' to 'Disable'

Let me know if this helps.

(I'm on the road; will check on this when I return).

Werid, I can't seem to find that USB power setting.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It took me a bit too find it too Harlikwin, but its there. Go to settings, power and sleep, additional power settings, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, scroll down too USB settings and you should find it there. I will give this a try tonight and remain hopeful!

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Does your Steam VR crash when this happens?

If so, issues like this are happening to a lot of us:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...w-to-replicate

No it keeps running. DCS keeps running. The Headset basically still tracks, so I can use it like a trackIR to look around, just the display in the headset is dead, and I have to look at the monitor to see anything. Plus frametimes goto absolute shit. Like I said, online, I can literally still land (badly) most of the time to get my life back.

If you can, try to first spawn into a tomcat in caucasus, look around for a while and then crash the plane. After that go to some heavy mp server with syria map and spawn into a hornet or f-16. After spawning look at fpsvr gpu frametimes and keep hitting F10-F2-F10-F2. If it makes that same stutter and blackout it’s propably because vram leak. I’ve been trying to find out consistent way to reproduce this for recording and documenting but still ”nojoy”. Sometimes that works and i can reproduce the vram leak and after that the symptoms are absolutely same as yours.

That other topic about steamvr crashing had propably few different cases mixed in to the same topic and OP’s problem was because of windows hardware acceleration or something like that.

Edit: This kind of problems has been around whole autumn and lots of people are reporting same kind of issues. Would be nice to hear from ED that are they inspecting something and is there anything specific what we should be testing to help solving this problem?

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

If you can, try to first spawn into a tomcat in caucasus, look around for a while and then crash the plane. After that go to some heavy mp server with syria map and spawn into a hornet or f-16. After spawning look at fpsvr gpu frametimes and keep hitting F10-F2-F10-F2. If it makes that same stutter and blackout it’s propably because vram leak. I’ve been trying to find out consistent way to reproduce this for recording and documenting but still ”nojoy”. Sometimes that works and i can reproduce the vram leak and after that the symptoms are absolutely same as yours.

That other topic about steamvr crashing had propably few different cases mixed in to the same topic and OP’s problem was because of windows hardware acceleration or something like that.

Edit: This kind of problems has been around whole autumn and lots of people are reporting same kind of issues. Would be nice to hear from ED that are they inspecting something and is there anything specific what we should be testing to help solving this problem?

That's what I was trying (but failed) to get at; a lot of similar issues cropping up for many folks, manifesting in slightly different ways. I can't reproduce it consistently either, and it looks like, as you said, vram issues.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Lots of people are compensating this now with incredibly expensive GPUs but i think that this is something ED really should be looking at with high priority. No point in investing almost 2000€ for gpu because game is bugged and handles vram badly. Last summer and at the beginning of autumn we didn't have this kind of problem and about after the release of Syria it popped up. Lots of people have been reporting exactly same symptoms after that.

For the explanation that "Syria just eats more vram", yes it does, but this leak now exists also in Caucasus and PG. It just takes longer to leak enough vram to make that blackout/stutter etc. happen.

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

Experienced this exact problem last night. (Persian Gulf map though in my case).

I have the USB selective suspending setting already turned off, so unfortunately it wasn't that. Not sure if it's a steamVR issue, but either way - everytime I hit F10 in VR I wonder if that's the end of the game - often it stutters and looks like it's going to lock up.

Most of the time it gets through (although I'm not playing in Syria - with the issues I've had in PG I'm avoiding Syria until I hear that these issues are dealt with). The odd occasion it crashes SteamVR - but last night, it did exactly what the OP said - SteamVR and the preview window continued while the Reverb remained black (but still tracking).

I managed to get to

the computer and updated dcs from previous to latest OB (18.11.). Seems like last patch fixed almost totally all vram problems what i had. I still have to run more tests but looks very positive. Even had about 5fps bump on the perf.

edit: I run about 3 hours mp testing in very hevy PvE mission with syria. Managed to get that vram leak and coupe times pressing F10 still almost blacked out the vr headset (went black for 10s but woke up). But still the performance was generally veery much better than in previous OB.

• 1 month later...

Somehow I just experienced this the first time. All I did was to run a repair of dcs and now after hitting the f10 map I got stutters and bad frametimes gpu and cpu wise. Is there a fix for this? 

Edit: since I didn't update dcs but steamvr updates itself on a regular basis could that be the problem? 

Edited by exil

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

its an annoying and long running problem, its been noticeably worse in the last few months also.  some type of bad memory leak somewhere.

We should also have the option to turn off the hangar 3D background, its just not needed for tac command views etc.  Please give us the option instead of having the GPU wearing away on a static pointless environment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

12 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

We should also have the option to turn off the hangar 3D background, its just not needed for tac command views etc.  Please give us the option instead of having the GPU wearing away on a static pointless environment

+1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I encountered exactly the same problem on the channel map (DCS v2.7), after returning from a mission. I pressed F10 to get the map and ...Disaster, horrible slowdowns, unplayable VR. I disconnected the headset, but then could not retrieve the image (the black inside my headset).

what happens with this option  ? 

Kr

I9 9900k , Oculus Quest 2, RTX 2080, 32 Go