Different render distances in each eyepiece

FinalGlide

For a long time now I've wondered what the issue is with objects in the distance that almost look see through right on the edge of the rendering distance while in VR. I only just realised it is because the left and right screens in my Reverb are rendering at slightly different distances. One eye will see a mountain off in the distance while the other won't. Has anyone else seen this?

FinalGlide

Specs: i7 8700k (5Ghz), 32gig 3200Mhz ram, EVO 960 SSD, Asus Strix RTX2080 (OC'd), Windows 10 Pro, Hp Reverb Pro V2, VPC WarBRD with MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators and Simshaker Sound Module

I have noticed this and there are serval posts kicking around the forums that also report this issue, I’m using the rift CV1 and I have this issue mainly with clouds and some shadows. I have tried several methods people have suggested to help fix this problem an none have really helped at all.

I think there is a deeper issue as the latest patch was quite extensive and this problem still has no fix. I’m sure it’s being worked on but I think it’s probably far more complicated than it first seems otherwise it would have probably been addressed by now.

Ok, at least I'm not the only one that has noticed this. It's not game breaker but annoying for immersion. Hopefully a fix is in the works at some point.

FinalGlide

Specs: i7 8700k (5Ghz), 32gig 3200Mhz ram, EVO 960 SSD, Asus Strix RTX2080 (OC'd), Windows 10 Pro, Hp Reverb Pro V2, VPC WarBRD with MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators and Simshaker Sound Module

I've noticed the same.

Lights on supercarrier, some clouds, shadows are invisible in left eye from some distance but perfectly visible in right eye. It is especially visible at night.

I'm not sure if it's misalignment or different render distances but i noticed that picture from one eye is slightly off. I dont know if it should be like this but its causing massive headache after 30-40 minutes of playing in vr.

I have Rift Cv1.

Yep getting this also in the Reverb.

Clouds seem to be rendering at different distances (they work fine in zoom), and noticed it in other reflections and shadows also.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

When the problem is in the left lense for example: If you look direct at the faulty object or with a slight deviation (about 5 degrees) it is not rendered. If you turn your head in any direction more than this deviation the faulty object is suddenly rendered in both eyes.

Perhaps this helps identifying the source for our problem.

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

I have solved it, sadly not compatible with multiplayer:

Just a change in the cloud.lua file

LODdistance = 100000, -- max distance getting from float smCamera_Implement::GetDistance(viFlag mask=viCloud) = 100000 

LODdistance = 70000, -- max distance getting from float smCamera_Implement::GetDistance(viFlag mask=viCloud) = 70000 -- original 100000

ED please implement this easy fix. Thank you.

I have solved it, sadly not compatible with multiplayer:

Just a change in the cloud.lua file

LODdistance = 100000, -- max distance getting from float smCamera_Implement::GetDistance(viFlag mask=viCloud) = 100000 

LODdistance = 70000, -- max distance getting from float smCamera_Implement::GetDistance(viFlag mask=viCloud) = 70000 -- original 100000

ED please implement this easy fix. Thank you.

This makes it worse in some cases. It puts dark shadow under the clouds (even close ones) in one eye and not on the other.

They need to make it so the LOD is triggered based on distance from the plane, not from each camera.

Truth of the matter is the way that ED implemented VR was probably a somewhat of a hack; render two cameras instead of one and bam, you're done.

This is obvious with some of the lens effects, and the LODs.

They probably can't fix it easily without breaking something else, or they have no way to tie camera position/rendering to anything BUT the camera that's doing the rendering. I'm sure it's a complex problem. I doubt we'll get an answer, explanation, or a solution anytime soon.

Truth of the matter is the way that ED implemented VR was probably a somewhat of a hack; render two cameras instead of one and bam, you're done.

This is obvious with some of the lens effects, and the LODs.

They probably can't fix it easily without breaking something else, or they have no way to tie camera position/rendering to anything BUT the camera that's doing the rendering. I'm sure it's a complex problem. I doubt we'll get an answer, explanation, or a solution anytime soon.

In 2.5.5. this problem is inexistant, so maybe is not as hard to fix it.

BIGNEWY any confirmation, please, that the team are aware of this issue? I only ask as many of us here were hoping it might be mentioned in today's patch notes.

I was on 2.5.5 OB until the Super Carrier, and the probelm only started after upgrading for me, so it's a 2.5.6 issue. Never played with that stereo mode parser option that I know is a WIP. Clouds, shadows, smoke and reflections are all affected. Left lens is the problematic side for me.

It's not a game-breaking problem, but it's pretty close to being so as it's causing extra eye strain for me, and no doubt, others too.

Any acknowledgement that the team are at least aware would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Majik

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

render distance is a square.

see figure one in the diagram

https://i.redd.it/oyuhpat0sm901.jpg

the blue triangle is your view area.

a line form the purple dot to the centre of the view distance is shorter than either of the two diagonals to the corners.

why on a 2d screen objects can appear at the edge but vanish when you bring them to the centre.

in VR you have 2 viewpoints and therefore 2 squares which don't totally overlap.. why objects can appear in one eye and not the other. and pop in and out at the edges as you turn your head.

to fix they need to increase draw distance until its unnoticeable. but that costs performance.

and they have obviously reduced it recently to increase performance.

its really annoying with clouds

this is a very basic explanation.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

render distance is a square.

see figure one in the diagram

https://i.redd.it/oyuhpat0sm901.jpg

the blue triangle is your view area.

a line form the purple dot to the centre of the view distance is shorter than either of the two diagonals to the corners.

why on a 2d screen objects can appear at the edge but vanish when you bring them to the centre.

in VR you have 2 viewpoints and therefore 2 squares which don't totally overlap.. why objects can appear in one eye and not the other. and pop in and out at the edges as you turn your head.

to fix they need to increase draw distance until its unnoticeable. but that costs performance.

and they have obviously reduced it recently to increase performance.

its really annoying with clouds

this is a very basic explanation.

Good explanation, makes sense.

I wonder if it would be feasible to use the third method in your linked diagram. Or is it computationally too intensive to calculate eclidean distances for all the objects.

+1 annoyed user. DCS does seem to keep reducing drawing distance with each patch to make up for lost FPS. And they keep losing FPS at each iteration of OB, a never-ending path to the bottom. My right eye is not 20/20, so the problem of oddly disappearing objects is huge for me (((

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Example with Planes

Different LODs on left and right display

I also noticed the whole thing today when I wanted to change the LOD distances for the aircraft models so that many aircraft do not have such massive FPS collapses.

Using SteamVR with Valve Index

+1

1W3lppM.jpg

Edited by havok2

Try the stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true setting.

LOD will be fixed for many things.

But supercarrier personal will only be rendered in one eye.

Different LODs on left and right display

I also noticed the whole thing today when I wanted to change the LOD distances for the aircraft models so that many aircraft do not have such massive FPS collapses.

Using SteamVR with Valve Index

+1

What is wrong with this picture? You mean missing planes? Maybe you just out of video memory? Too high PD and only 8gig of vram?

Edited by VitS

What is wrong with this picture? You mean missing planes? Maybe you just out of video memory? Too high PD and only 8gig of vram?

Hello,

no, I've never had a problem with that. Under normal conditions I also have all planes at the airport.

I have intentionally set the LOD distances to 30,60,90,120 and 150 meters. The last LOD level has no aircraft. Therefore the unequal distance calculation to the camera is noticeable for both eyes. On the left side it is already gone but on the right side it is still visible. This is the same problem as with the clouds. Look at the second plane up on the left. On the left you see LOD Level 3 (cabin has no transparent glass) but on the right you still see LOD Level 2 (cabin has transparent glass). In DCS the distance of the camera for the left and right eye is clearly miscalculated. Normally it is not that noticeable, because the LOD levels are 30, 120, 500, 5000 meters etc.

• ED Team
BIGNEWY any confirmation, please, that the team are aware of this issue? I only ask as many of us here were hoping it might be mentioned in today's patch notes.

I was on 2.5.5 OB until the Super Carrier, and the probelm only started after upgrading for me, so it's a 2.5.6 issue. Never played with that stereo mode parser option that I know is a WIP. Clouds, shadows, smoke and reflections are all affected. Left lens is the problematic side for me.

It's not a game-breaking problem, but it's pretty close to being so as it's causing extra eye strain for me, and no doubt, others too.

Any acknowledgement that the team are at least aware would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have taken a look on my machine with the vive cosmos, it seems fine to me, but maybe different on other headsets? I have mentioned it to the team.

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is W.I.P and is not ready for use so be aware of that.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have taken a look on my machine with the vive cosmos, it seems fine to me, but maybe different on other headsets? I have mentioned it to the team.

stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true is W.I.P and is not ready for use so be aware of that.

thanks

Thank You for the response. I noticed the easiest way to reproduce this issue is to start Viggen instant action "Cold and Dark" in Caucasus map. Then just look around the clouds while sitting parked in starting position. The issue should be evident. Thanks.

It is a complex problem

Clouds are a seperate rendering error not related to the LOD problem of trees and appearant in all Headsets.

For trees I got different render distances in the Reverb but not in the CV1.

thanks

Thanks for having a look, and letting the team know. For me, it's most obvious to see in clouds when flying around the SuperCarrier, but even then it doesn't always occur (but more often than not). I even get some of the effects on the main menu, when looking at the icons at the bottom, so it's prevalent throughout.

If the team needs more info than some great posts from users in this thread, there's also another simialr thread linked below:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=271890

For what it's worth, I have the problem with a Reverb. I have seen in both threads, other Reverb users have this problem, as well as Oculus CV1, HTC Vive and Valve Index as well, at the very least. So that rules out any specific platform. If the team are aware of anything that changed between 2.5.5 and 2.5.6, that would be a good place for them to start.

Perhaps everyone who's having this problem can post below with their headset:

+1

Majik

HP Reverb