Reverb G2 - How to force 45fps motion smoothing?

lax22

Hi,

I have been playing DCS for a while but I am new to playing it in VR.

I just received a HP Reverb G2 and most of the time it is working really well with DCS.

The majority of the time DCS is locked at 45fps and it gives me a very nice and smooth performance. I assume this is due to motion smoothing by either Steam or WMR.

However, pretty frequently my fps increases to 55-65 fps and this is when the game does not seem smooth anymore, I guess the reason is that motion smoothing is no longer active.

Is there a way how I can force the game to run at 45fps at all times to ensure that motion smoothing is always active?

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

this is the method I still use https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

Go down to about mid page find

"THIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED: THE following is no longer valid. It will soon be replaced with a new process enabled inside of SteamVR in VR Settings."

Look a bit below than and find "\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings"

This is the location of the file you want to edit. "default.vrsettings" It so far seems to be the only reliable method it should work in your case as well.

The line you are looking for in the file is " // “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”,

Remove the // to active auto motion re projection. Save the file. You can open the "default.vrsettings" file using note pad by right clicking on it and picking open with

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you can do as above but i also found an easier way to do it today, click on the button on the hand controller next to the windows button, will bring up a screen in game, there go into settings and you can set it from there, worked for me. you can disable it, force 45 (motion vector) or use auto

• Like 1

this is the method I still use https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

"THIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED: THE following is no longer valid. It will soon be replaced with a new process enabled inside of SteamVR in VR Settings."

Look a bit below than and find "\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings"

This is the location of the file you want to edit. "default.vrsettings" It so far seems to be the only reliable method it should work in your case as well.

The line you are looking for in the file is " // “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”,

Remove the // to active auto motion re projection. Save the file. You can open the "default.vrsettings" file using note pad by right clicking on it and picking open with

you can do as above but i also found an easier way to do it today, click on the button on the hand controller next to the windows button, will bring up a screen in game, there go into settings and you can set it from there, worked for me. you can disable it, force 45 (motion vector) or use auto

Thank you very much, both ways worked for me and the game now runs at a fixed 45fps.

One more question, in the Steam VR Setting it shows an option for forcing motion smoothing and an option to "use legacy reprojection mode". What exactly is the difference between those two and should they both be enabled for DCS?

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

Is there a way to set it with without using the controller? Someone made a video of them accessing setting via the preview windows. It worked for like 2 days then it appears that it quit working after an update. The controller is news to me ill check that out as well.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you very much, both ways worked for me and the game now runs at a fixed 45fps.

One more question, in the Steam VR Setting it shows an option for forcing motion smoothing and an option to "use legacy reprojection mode". What exactly is the difference between those two and should they both be enabled for DCS?

i have seen some people say that the "use legacy reprojection mode" is no good, have not tried it myself to be honest.

• Like 1

Is there a way to set it with without using the controller? Someone made a video of them accessing setting via the preview windows. It worked for like 2 days then it appears that it quit working after an update. The controller is news to me ill check that out as well.

Thanks

i was actually having issues for awhile trying to force 45fps with entering it manually into the MixedRealityVRDriver settings, it eventually kicked in not sure what was the go, problem was i had to reset it when i was playing other vr games to get back to 90fps etc, i just stumbled across that other way of doing it while in game with the controller, and it worked and have not needed to change it, but doing it from the actual steam settings itself before loading in a game does not work for me, only changin ss will work so not sure whats going on tbh

i was actually having issues for awhile trying to force 45fps with entering it manually into the MixedRealityVRDriver settings, it eventually kicked in not sure what was the go, problem was i had to reset it when i was playing other vr games to get back to 90fps etc, i just stumbled across that other way of doing it while in game with the controller, and it worked and have not needed to change it, but doing it from the actual steam settings itself before loading in a game does not work for me, only changin ss will work so not sure whats going on tbh

I just set it in Steam VR game profile setting and seems to work fine.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don’t know how many confused posts and threads we need on this topic.

I’m going to write a mini guide on this and ask BN to make it a sticky.

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Legacy reprojection mode is simply locking fps to 45, without trying to predict in-between frames.

That would be greatly appreciated. Hence my other thread asking for a "consolidated guide to best practices". There seems to be too much confusing and contradictory info swirling around here. Thanks!

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

That would be greatly appreciated. Hence my other thread asking for a "consolidated guide to best practices". There seems to be too much confusing and contradictory info swirling around here. Thanks!

Welcome to the world of WMR/SteamVR.

I spent many hours getting mine set up properly and looking back it should have been only a matter of minutes.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Welcome to the world of WMR/SteamVR.

I spent many hours getting mine set up properly and looking back it should have been only a matter of minutes.

True to a point. But that doesn't account for all the settings that still have to be addressed in the Nvidia CP, DCS, BIOS, OS, etc that have nothing to do with WMR/Steam.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 5:59 AM, Gun Jam said:

Thanks for this, spent ages wondering why I couldn't get steamVR motion smoothing to work when enabling in the UI SteamVR settings. Doesn't seem to work for me unless I use this method. Can finally get some gaming done, 45fps with motion smoothing on G2 looks amazing and chasing that 90fps was really doing my brain in!

On 11/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, imacken said:

Good idea, but I bet you $5 it won't stop people from creating these types of threads. 🙂

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

"Hello,

I own a G2 headset without controllers. How can I force on re-projection? Unfortunately the method of using the in-headset and controllers doesn't work for me.

Kind regards"

Disregard, answer my own question 🙂 found the file default.vrsettings and manually changed to setting 

Edited by fulcrum_64th

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

Sorry to repeat what has been said many times, but that is not the correct method any more.  you will have that file overwritten every time there is an update.  You can read in the first few lines of the file that it should not be edited.

The method linked to over and over is correct, i.e. Using SteamVR with Windows Mixed Reality - Enthusiast Guide | Microsoft Docs

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

This is what threw me for a loop.

The menu with the reprojection options wasn't in WMR anywhere I could find, which is honestly where I figured it should be.

It was however on the steamvr menu where there is a button added by the steamvr for wmr plugin, right next to the steamvr desktop button.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.