Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverb G2 - How to force 45fps motion smoothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverb G2 - How to force 45fps motion smoothing?

Hi,
    I have been playing DCS for a while but I am new to playing it in VR.
    I just received a HP Reverb G2 and most of the time it is working really well with DCS.
    The majority of the time DCS is locked at 45fps and it gives me a very nice and smooth performance. I assume this is due to motion smoothing by either Steam or WMR.
    However, pretty frequently my fps increases to 55-65 fps and this is when the game does not seem smooth anymore, I guess the reason is that motion smoothing is no longer active.

Is there a way how I can force the game to run at 45fps at all times to ensure that motion smoothing is always active?

System: 10700k @5.0 / FTW3 3090 / 64GB 3600mhz / HP Reverb G2

this is the method I still use https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

Go down to about mid page find
    "THIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED: THE following is no longer valid. It will soon be replaced with a new process enabled inside of SteamVR in VR Settings."

Look a bit below than and find "\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings"

This is the location of the file you want to edit. "default.vrsettings" It so far seems to be the only reliable method it should work in your case as well.

The line you are looking for in the file is " // “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”,

Remove the // to active auto motion re projection. Save the file. You can open the "default.vrsettings" file using note pad by right clicking on it and picking open with

Comment

you can do as above but i also found an easier way to do it today, click on the button on the hand controller next to the windows button, will bring up a screen in game, there go into settings and you can set it from there, worked for me. you can disable it, force 45 (motion vector) or use auto

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Jam View Post
        this is the method I still use https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

Go down to about mid page find
        "THIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED: THE following is no longer valid. It will soon be replaced with a new process enabled inside of SteamVR in VR Settings."

Look a bit below than and find "\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings"

This is the location of the file you want to edit. "default.vrsettings" It so far seems to be the only reliable method it should work in your case as well.

The line you are looking for in the file is " // “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”,

Remove the // to active auto motion re projection. Save the file. You can open the "default.vrsettings" file using note pad by right clicking on it and picking open with

Originally posted by WarOfTheDamned View Post
        you can do as above but i also found an easier way to do it today, click on the button on the hand controller next to the windows button, will bring up a screen in game, there go into settings and you can set it from there, worked for me. you can disable it, force 45 (motion vector) or use auto

Thank you very much, both ways worked for me and the game now runs at a fixed 45fps.

One more question, in the Steam VR Setting it shows an option for forcing motion smoothing and an option to "use legacy reprojection mode". What exactly is the difference between those two and should they both be enabled for DCS?

System: 10700k @5.0 / FTW3 3090 / 64GB 3600mhz / HP Reverb G2

Comment

Is there a way to set it with without using the controller? Someone made a video of them accessing setting via the preview windows. It worked for like 2 days then it appears that it quit working after an update. The controller is news to me ill check that out as well.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lax22 View Post

Thank you very much, both ways worked for me and the game now runs at a fixed 45fps.

One more question, in the Steam VR Setting it shows an option for forcing motion smoothing and an option to "use legacy reprojection mode". What exactly is the difference between those two and should they both be enabled for DCS?
            i have seen some people say that the "use legacy reprojection mode" is no good, have not tried it myself to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Jam View Post
              Is there a way to set it with without using the controller? Someone made a video of them accessing setting via the preview windows. It worked for like 2 days then it appears that it quit working after an update. The controller is news to me ill check that out as well.
              Thanks
              i was actually having issues for awhile trying to force 45fps with entering it manually into the MixedRealityVRDriver settings, it eventually kicked in not sure what was the go, problem was i had to reset it when i was playing other vr games to get back to 90fps etc, i just stumbled across that other way of doing it while in game with the controller, and it worked and have not needed to change it, but doing it from the actual steam settings itself before loading in a game does not work for me, only changin ss will work so not sure whats going on tbh

Comment

Originally posted by WarOfTheDamned View Post

i was actually having issues for awhile trying to force 45fps with entering it manually into the MixedRealityVRDriver settings, it eventually kicked in not sure what was the go, problem was i had to reset it when i was playing other vr games to get back to 90fps etc, i just stumbled across that other way of doing it while in game with the controller, and it worked and have not needed to change it, but doing it from the actual steam settings itself before loading in a game does not work for me, only changin ss will work so not sure whats going on tbh
                I just set it in Steam VR game profile setting and seems to work fine.
                Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

I don’t know how many confused posts and threads we need on this topic.
                  I’m going to write a mini guide on this and ask BN to make it a sticky.
                  Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb Pro

Comment

Originally posted by lax22 View Post

Legacy reprojection mode is simply locking fps to 45, without trying to predict in-between frames.

Comment

Originally posted by imacken View Post
                      I don’t know how many confused posts and threads we need on this topic.
                      I’m going to write a mini guide on this and ask BN to make it a sticky.
                      That would be greatly appreciated. Hence my other thread asking for a "consolidated guide to best practices". There seems to be too much confusing and contradictory info swirling around here. Thanks!
                      System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Comment

Originally posted by Notso View Post

That would be greatly appreciated. Hence my other thread asking for a "consolidated guide to best practices". There seems to be too much confusing and contradictory info swirling around here. Thanks!
                        Welcome to the world of WMR/SteamVR.
                        I spent many hours getting mine set up properly and looking back it should have been only a matter of minutes.
                        Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                        EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

Originally posted by dburne View Post

Welcome to the world of WMR/SteamVR.
                          I spent many hours getting mine set up properly and looking back it should have been only a matter of minutes.
                          True to a point. But that doesn't account for all the settings that still have to be addressed in the Nvidia CP, DCS, BIOS, OS, etc that have nothing to do with WMR/Steam.
                          System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Comment

Working...
                          X