3090 first Impressions

speed-of-heat

Ok so I was coming from a 1080ti, which was a good card. But i made lots of compromises in order to get a good experience on my G1 Reverb.

The perception difference is staggeringly good, and a huge improvement to graphics settings and performance. The key sticking point is shadows, which seem to be CPU rather than GPU bound, its very obvious still on the super carrier, that aside... I am still running at 100%, but the cockpit clarity has improved significantlly, im not sure i can explain that yet... I dont think its me "believing"

I get more frames at 90fps in the caucuses than i do at 45, there are of course exceptions and understand i am still dialing things in. The most impressive thing for me was to be able to fly at low level in the channel map running a regular 45 FPS, which before was choppy and unplayable... btw it allocates and seems to use more that 12Gb of VRAM... YMMV

When i am running at 45fps , i am not getting ghosting or not that i am seeing yet, again its early days, and i am still playing with things, mirrors are now on, smoke is on clutter on full etc...I'm not using any anti aliasing, i really dont see the point , a lot of the ground shimmer has cleared up.

Generically frametimes seem to be under GPU 10ms lots more experimentation to do.

But so far no buyer remorse

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok so I was coming from a 1080ti, which was a good card. But i made lots of compromises in order to get a good experience on my G1 Reverb.

The perception difference is staggeringly good, and a huge improvement to graphics settings and performance. The key sticking point is shadows, which seem to be CPU rather than GPU bound, its very obvious still on the super carrier, that aside... I am still running at 100%, but the cockpit clarity has improved significantlly, im not sure i can explain that yet... I dont think its me "believing"

I get more frames at 90fps in the caucuses than i do at 45, there are of course exceptions and understand i am still dialing things in. The most impressive thing for me was to be able to fly at low level in the channel map running a regular 45 FPS, which before was choppy and unplayable... btw it allocates and seems to use more that 12Gb of VRAM... YMMV

When i am running at 45fps , i am not getting ghosting or not that i am seeing yet, again its early days, and i am still playing with things, mirrors are now on, smoke is on clutter on full etc...I'm not using any anti aliasing, i really dont see the point , a lot of the ground shimmer has cleared up.

Generically frametimes seem to be under GPU 10ms lots more experimentation to do.

But so far no buyer remorse

None here with my 3090 GPU either very much enjoying it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The RX6000XT was released today, all sold out duh. But it's retail price is in the high $600 range and is supposed to be close to 3090 speeds. Scalped on Ebag for $1500.00

I don’t know why I’m feeding this, but in my limited knowledge of AMD, there is no RX6000XT card. And, it’s the RX6900XT that supposedly comes close to the 3090. It is £1000 and not released till December.

I could be completely wrong, of course.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I too got my 3090 today - MSI Gaming X Trio - and Stuart and I have been communicating throughout the day.

I also am very impressed. Unfortunately, I can't do VR tests as I sold my Reverb G1 recently after being reassured the G2 would be with me any day. (We all know how that has worked out for us poor European relations!)

Anyway, see attached benchmark results comparing ones I did last night on my 2080Ti against today's non-overclocked 3090. I know it's not VR, but still very impressive improvements.

In DCS on my 4K monitor, I am running everything maxxed out (except MSAA x2, but including SSLR) and I cannot get any scenario to go below my frame limited 60fps. Even the most taxing ones are totally comfortable with the GPU running at around 70-75%.

Can't wait to get back to VR and do some testing!

f49ddec15acb9e25a9985b40265ea1f1.jpg.702eb064c0c5bd883f2ff4e1f4954fd4.jpg

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The situation is going to get a good deal sweeter by Feb or so. 6800 vs the 3080, and the 6900 vs the 3090, with the top guys perhaps even falling below $1000.

Whilst that's an interesting speculation, all I am talking about is the 3090.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I too got my 3090 today - MSI Gaming X Trio - and Stuart and I have been communicating throughout the day.

I also am very impressed. Unfortunately, I can't do VR tests as I sold my Reverb G1 recently after being reassured the G2 would be with me any day. (We all know how that has worked out for us poor European relations!)

Anyway, see attached benchmark results comparing ones I did last night on my 2080Ti against today's non-overclocked 3090. I know it's not VR, but still very impressive improvements.

In DCS on my 4K monitor, I am running everything maxxed out (except MSAA x2, but including SSLR) and I cannot get any scenario to go below my frame limited 60fps. Even the most taxing ones are totally comfortable with the GPU running at around 70-75%.

Your Port Royal score is a bit low, but with OC you should be pulling 13.5+. Top cards such as FTW Ultra or ROG Strix can push 14K while shunt modded ones can go over 15K.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The situation is going to get a good deal sweeter by Feb or so. 6800 vs the 3080, and the 6900 vs the 3090, with the top guys perhaps even falling below $1000.

I can’t imagine the 3090 going below 1K next year especially when NVIDIA is planning to release the 3080Ti at that price point.

There still are also a lot of people wanting to buy those cards, very high demand but low supply. We have mobile phones that cost up to 2K, and people still buy them up so this price point isn’t that outrageous nowadays.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I can’t imagine the 3090 going below 1K next year especially when NVIDIA is planning to release the 3080Ti at that price point.

There still are also a lot of people wanting to buy those cards, very high demand but low supply. We have mobile phones that cost up to 2K, and people still buy them up so this price point isn’t that outrageous nowadays.

It won't and your right dealers still can't even keep stock.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Your Port Royal score is a bit low, but with OC you should be pulling 13.5+. Top cards such as FTW Ultra or ROG Strix can push 14K while shunt modded ones can go over 15K.

The point of my post was to demonstrate the improvement over the 2080Ti, not to boast about the numbers!

I bet I can get your fps down into the low 40s - run SSLR, 4K, 2xMSAA, and do the SC Tomcat Carrier Quals. I have a 3090 as well as a 9700K @ 5GHz, and this seneds my fps plummeting when on the deck. Runs great everywhere else though :). I paid a crazy AU$3000 for my 3090, and I have zero buyer's remorse as well - it is the fastest GPU available, and performs like it! I didn't buy it for value for money, I bought it because I wanted the absolute best possible PC performance available.

• Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I bet I can get your fps down into the low 40s - run SSLR, 4K, 2xMSAA, and do the SC Tomcat Carrier Quals. I have a 3090 as well as a 9700K @ 5GHz, and this seneds my fps plummeting when on the deck. Runs great everywhere else though :). I paid a crazy AU$3000 for my 3090, and I have zero buyer's remorse as well - it is the fastest GPU available, and performs like it! I didn't buy it for value for money, I bought it because I wanted the absolute best possible PC performance available.

Nope, sorry. Still at 60 fps - well, it's 57 as I limit it to that for G-sync purposes. The SC is totally CPU bound, and there is a slight difference (5-10%?) between the 9700K and the 10900K in single core. Don't know.

(Sorry about attachment quality. It's very cropped due to ED's insistence on making the fps counter impossibly small on 4K monitors!)

c2e28a4a05c578065f21f1cc9d20cab1.jpg.664dd298e91106b842d7c7d6d85e6f68.jpg

Glad you’re happy! :)

You are well worth this after a long time of stutter issues !

Yes, as DCS isnt amoung the most well designed games it isnt possible to set all sliders to maximum and still enjoy it.

Despite this, I found myself at 90 fps on the supercarrier. Had tuned the SS to 100% (due to pimax) and back on the Reverb I had 90 fps with sbsolutely no stutter and also 90 fps in moste other cases. I had a Asus strix 2080 OC that was a bit further clocked and everything worked nice before, still the increase in DCS performance is really really good.

Not cheap, but still worth it :)

Once again, congrats to the solution you needed !

:thumbup:

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Despite this, I found myself at 90 fps on the supercarrier. Had tuned the SS to 100% (due to pimax) and back on the Reverb I had 90 fps with sbsolutely no stutter and also 90 fps in moste other cases. I had a Asus strix 2080 OC that was a bit further clocked and everything worked nice before, still the increase in DCS performance is really really good.

Not cheap, but still worth it :)

The 3090 performance has been exemplary in 2D, but I still don't get anywhere near 90fps on the SC/Tomcat with with my Reverb - from memory I was locked at 45 which obviously meant reprojection was on. Can I ask what you've done to see such a huge fps increase? I'm most interested in things that deliver palpable, noticeable improvements, such as:

- final render resolution

- MSAA

- shadows

- scenery detail

- any VR mods, such as the shader mod.

I really shouldn't jump down this rabbit hole yet again, but I'd like to check to see if there's something new you're doing that I've missed. I've seen dozens of Reverb owners saying they can't hit 90 on the SC deck, so it'd be interesting to see how you did it.

​​

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

The 3090 performance has been exemplary in 2D, but I still don't get anywhere near 90fps on the SC/Tomcat with with my Reverb - from memory I was locked at 45 which obviously meant reprojection was on. Can I ask what you've done to see such a huge fps increase? I'm most interested in things that deliver palpable, noticeable improvements, such as:

- final render resolution

- MSAA

- shadows

- scenery detail

- any VR mods, such as the shader mod.

I really shouldn't jump down this rabbit hole yet again, but I'd like to check to see if there's something new you're doing that I've missed. I've seen dozens of Reverb owners saying they can't hit 90 on the SC deck, so it'd be interesting to see how you did it.

​​

First, I like it when youre happy so we try to stay happy :)

The F-14 is more demanding than other A/C's(Heatblurs AJS37 Viggen does about the same). Dunno why but I see they emulate vibrations and shaking for the aircraft. More than I ever saw live.

For down below I use F-18 thats better than F-14 on conserving the computer power. I can add F-14 to the mission and test that one later but as f-14 is worse than other aircrafts, the F-14 is part of the problem(at least) and its not only DCS fault.

The settings posted down below. I recently got the Pimax 8KX and I havent really tuned the computer for this yet, so I am in between, with a few settings lowered to keep it flowing with the Pimax.

My normal settings, used with the 2080ti OC was SS150% and most often no MSAA. Otherwise I think its like the pictures below.

When I started DCS MSAA wasn't enabled. I normally did use 150% in SteamVR and with supersampling is kind of does the same thing for the jagged lines. I mainly dont put the sliders all the way to the right if I cannot notice a difference or a very small diff that loads the computer much. So, my regular setting was SS150 and as below but not MSAA at all.

With the setting without MSAA I kept a rock steady 90fps on the SC. Except when starring at the command bridge. I had not notice it until you guys wrote about this.

If I enable MSAA 2X I still have 90fps, but it start hunting from time to time between 89 and 91 so I gues its close to not keeping 90fps. Still rock solid smooth though.

I tried to shoot a film with geforce experience but then I actually did get chaning between 90 and 45fps, so it took my computer on the other side of the limit. And, how ever I do, if I shoot a movie at 60fps it wont come out smooth despite having the game flowing nice at 90fps, so I think some will get stuck seeing that.

I have no mods at all. resolution according to the steamvr setting below. Other settings as below.

The CPU is clocked to 5.2Ghz on all cores and the 3090 is set to the default overclock mode in the asus GPU-tweak. I have tweaked/overclocked it further, and this might give med a few extra percent but as others might not have I did run it int the asus GPU tweak Overclock mode.

SteamVR.thumb.png.3503d4f4f5f6976f58ddfad4f27eb875.png

DCS.thumb.png.f142a865359a6c0c24cfb001e5b9b853.png

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

So I added the F-14 to the mission. (The mission contains quite a few AI asset, both in air, on ground and at sea.).

I didnt see any difference with the F-14 on the SC. Still 90 fps, unless starring towards the bridge, with the settings from above.

The latest update broke the flight controls, just added the axis to be able to taxi.

BTW= I use DCS open beta.

Screen-201121-004946.thumb.png.78162aab3e65160d3bd2b66b513eaa12.png

@Gunnars Driver , I was trying to replicate your settings and performance. The only way i could do it was with a core clock of 5.2 and mirrors off.

I find the hornet cold start mission, far more taxing than the F-14 Carrier Quals, and looking at the tower on the SC has a significant frame rate impact (taking it back to 45 just in the hornet, and a stable 45 in the Tom) still playing as we all like our eye candy in different places :)

• Like 1

@Gunnars Driver , I was trying to replicate your settings and performance. The only way i could do it was with a core clock of 5.2 and mirrors off.

I find the hornet cold start mission, far more taxing than the F-14 Carrier Quals, and looking at the tower on the SC has a significant frame rate impact (taking it back to 45 just in the hornet, and a stable 45 in the Tom) still playing as we all like our eye candy in different places :)

Yes, I do not feel that the supercarrier is that taxing. Gunslingers question was specifically about the SC.

In my case, I didnt have fpsvr running but Id say from what Ive seen in lot of instances that the limiting factor probably wasnt the CPU and that I guess I can downclock to 5Ghz without loosing my 90 fps. ( I really never see my CPU limit, the frame times is always lower than the GPU. Changing from 2080ti to 3090 reduced the gap but the GPU still produce higher frame times. Even at this home cocked mission with me as a server and quite some AI in air, on ground and at sea)

Also, I havent really tuned it fot 90fps on the SC, I really just happend to use the reverb on a test setting för my 8KX.

For me the Reverb(= WMR) works fine with reprojection. No stutter at 45fps and no bad reprojection causing ghosting, this provided that I have sufficient margin to the frame times limit, and that the VRAM isnt full or close to full. Havent filled the 3090 VRAM but the 2080ti could be filled by high settings, causing stutter.

For settings that make the F-18 smooth in flight but as high graphics as possible with 45 fps reprojection the F-14 most often isnt smooth.

If I do a quick roll its obvious tha the horizon line stutters during the roll.

I dont know why but it is like this for me, the same with AJS37.

My experience is that it is certainly the CPU even at 5.2 that is being taxed by the SC specificallg. And also on the GPU memory is as you say not having to "page" out to much slower cpu memory.

Try this with F/A-18C super carrier launch mission using standard VR preset (not your own). When in game press F2 and spin the camera 180 degree around so both the tower and the hovering helo are visualized, let’s see what kind of FPS you get. Then move your head side to side and observe. Use fpsVR so you can see both CPU and GPU frametime readings.

its easier to do this with cold start.. as you are trying to determine the impact of frame rate on the super structure ... on my settings (TBC) from memory thats about 38-42 fps, mostly CPU limited, I will try it on their standard settings and let you know

so quick test against the launch mission, it makes no difference on settings, as soon as you look at the super structure (even with the head rest in the way) you spike the CPU at about 25.4ms , i suspect this is in part to do with the parked hornets, rather than the actually t superstructure itself, looking at the helo i get about 21.1 ms CPU time ...

Try this with F/A-18C super carrier launch mission using standard VR preset (not your own). When in game press F2 and spin the camera 180 degree around so both the tower and the hovering helo are visualized, let’s see what kind of FPS you get. Then move your head side to side and observe. Use fpsVR so you can see both CPU and GPU frametime readings.

What would the purpose be iof doing that?