3090 first Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3090 first Impressions

Ok so I was coming from a 1080ti, which was a good card. But i made lots of compromises in order to get a good experience on my G1 Reverb.

The perception difference is staggeringly good, and a huge improvement to graphics settings and performance. The key sticking point is shadows, which seem to be CPU rather than GPU bound, its very obvious still on the super carrier, that aside... I am still running at 100%, but the cockpit clarity has improved significantlly, im not sure i can explain that yet... I dont think its me "believing"

I get more frames at 90fps in the caucuses than i do at 45, there are of course exceptions and understand i am still dialing things in. The most impressive thing for me was to be able to fly at low level in the channel map running a regular 45 FPS, which before was choppy and unplayable... btw it allocates and seems to use more that 12Gb of VRAM... YMMV

When i am running at 45fps , i am not getting ghosting or not that i am seeing yet, again its early days, and i am still playing with things, mirrors are now on, smoke is on clutter on full etc...I'm not using any anti aliasing, i really dont see the point , a lot of the ground shimmer has cleared up.

Generically frametimes seem to be under GPU 10ms lots more experimentation to do.

But so far no buyer remorse

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff: My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR, My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

The RX6000XT was released today, all sold out duh. But it's retail price is in the high $600 range and is supposed to be close to 3090 speeds. Scalped on Ebag for $1500.00

Comment

I can’t speak to that card as I don’t have one
      SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff: My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR, My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

Comment

Originally posted by speed-of-heat View Post
        Ok so I was coming from a 1080ti, which was a good card. But i made lots of compromises in order to get a good experience on my G1 Reverb.

The perception difference is staggeringly good, and a huge improvement to graphics settings and performance. The key sticking point is shadows, which seem to be CPU rather than GPU bound, its very obvious still on the super carrier, that aside... I am still running at 100%, but the cockpit clarity has improved significantlly, im not sure i can explain that yet... I dont think its me "believing"

I get more frames at 90fps in the caucuses than i do at 45, there are of course exceptions and understand i am still dialing things in. The most impressive thing for me was to be able to fly at low level in the channel map running a regular 45 FPS, which before was choppy and unplayable... btw it allocates and seems to use more that 12Gb of VRAM... YMMV

When i am running at 45fps , i am not getting ghosting or not that i am seeing yet, again its early days, and i am still playing with things, mirrors are now on, smoke is on clutter on full etc...I'm not using any anti aliasing, i really dont see the point , a lot of the ground shimmer has cleared up.

Generically frametimes seem to be under GPU 10ms lots more experimentation to do.

But so far no buyer remorse
        None here with my 3090 GPU either very much enjoying it.
        Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
        EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

Originally posted by Burnerski View Post
          The RX6000XT was released today, all sold out duh. But it's retail price is in the high $600 range and is supposed to be close to 3090 speeds. Scalped on Ebag for $1500.00
          I don’t know why I’m feeding this, but in my limited knowledge of AMD, there is no RX6000XT card. And, it’s the RX6900XT that supposedly comes close to the 3090. It is £1000 and not released till December.
          I could be completely wrong, of course.
          Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb Pro

Comment

I too got my 3090 today - MSI Gaming X Trio - and Stuart and I have been communicating throughout the day.
            I also am very impressed. Unfortunately, I can't do VR tests as I sold my Reverb G1 recently after being reassured the G2 would be with me any day. (We all know how that has worked out for us poor European relations!)
            Anyway, see attached benchmark results comparing ones I did last night on my 2080Ti against today's non-overclocked 3090. I know it's not VR, but still very impressive improvements.
            In DCS on my 4K monitor, I am running everything maxxed out (except MSAA x2, but including SSLR) and I cannot get any scenario to go below my frame limited 60fps. Even the most taxing ones are totally comfortable with the GPU running at around 70-75%.
            Can't wait to get back to VR and do some testing!
            Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM2 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb Pro

Comment

The situation is going to get a good deal sweeter by Feb or so. 6800 vs the 3080, and the 6900 vs the 3090, with the top guys perhaps even falling below $1000.
              One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
                The situation is going to get a good deal sweeter by Feb or so. 6800 vs the 3080, and the 6900 vs the 3090, with the top guys perhaps even falling below $1000.
                Whilst that's an interesting speculation, all I am talking about is the 3090.

Comment

Originally posted by imacken View Post
                  I too got my 3090 today - MSI Gaming X Trio - and Stuart and I have been communicating throughout the day.
                  I also am very impressed. Unfortunately, I can't do VR tests as I sold my Reverb G1 recently after being reassured the G2 would be with me any day. (We all know how that has worked out for us poor European relations!)
                  Anyway, see attached benchmark results comparing ones I did last night on my 2080Ti against today's non-overclocked 3090. I know it's not VR, but still very impressive improvements.
                  In DCS on my 4K monitor, I am running everything maxxed out (except MSAA x2, but including SSLR) and I cannot get any scenario to go below my frame limited 60fps. Even the most taxing ones are totally comfortable with the GPU running at around 70-75%.
                  Your Port Royal score is a bit low, but with OC you should be pulling 13.5+. Top cards such as FTW Ultra or ROG Strix can push 14K while shunt modded ones can go over 15K.
                  PC: 9900K/3090, 32GB RAM.
                  Joystick bases: TMWx2, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L
                  Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2
                  Throttles: TMWx2, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant
                  VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Comment

Sorry I have bad humor. " A fool and his money are soon departed" " Its not what you know that will hurt you. It's what you know that just ain't so. "

Comment

Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
                      I can’t imagine the 3090 going below 1K next year especially when NVIDIA is planning to release the 3080Ti at that price point.

There still are also a lot of people wanting to buy those cards, very high demand but low supply. We have mobile phones that cost up to 2K, and people still buy them up so this price point isn’t that outrageous nowadays.
                      PC: 9900K/3090, 32GB RAM.
                      Joystick bases: TMWx2, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L
                      Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2
                      Throttles: TMWx2, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant
                      VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Comment

Originally posted by Supmua View Post

I can’t imagine the 3090 going below 1K next year especially when NVIDIA is planning to release the 3080Ti at that price point.

There still are also a lot of people wanting to buy those cards, very high demand but low supply. We have mobile phones that cost up to 2K, and people still buy them up so this price point isn’t that outrageous nowadays.
                        It won't and your right dealers still can't even keep stock.
                        Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                        EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

Originally posted by Supmua View Post

Your Port Royal score is a bit low, but with OC you should be pulling 13.5+. Top cards such as FTW Ultra or ROG Strix can push 14K while shunt modded ones can go over 15K.
                          The point of my post was to demonstrate the improvement over the 2080Ti, not to boast about the numbers!

Comment

Originally posted by imacken View Post
                            I bet I can get your fps down into the low 40s - run SSLR, 4K, 2xMSAA, and do the SC Tomcat Carrier Quals. I have a 3090 as well as a 9700K @ 5GHz, and this seneds my fps plummeting when on the deck. Runs great everywhere else though . I paid a crazy AU$3000 for my 3090, and I have zero buyer's remorse as well - it is the fastest GPU available, and performs like it! I didn't buy it for value for money, I bought it because I wanted the absolute best possible PC performance available.
                            Intel i7-9700K OCd @ 5GHz; 32GB DDR4 3666MHz; Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090; Asus Hero XI mobo; 2x2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSDs; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp w/ Sennheiser HD800S; LG C9 55" Display (4k@120Hz w/ HDR and Gsync); HP Reverb; Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle; Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base base + F-16/F-14/F-18 grips; Crosswind pedals; TrackIR5; 4 x Lenovo e-Series Tablets w/ DCS UFC app.

Comment

Originally posted by GunSlingerAUS View Post

I bet I can get your fps down into the low 40s - run SSLR, 4K, 2xMSAA, and do the SC Tomcat Carrier Quals. I have a 3090 as well as a 9700K @ 5GHz, and this seneds my fps plummeting when on the deck. Runs great everywhere else though . I paid a crazy AU$3000 for my 3090, and I have zero buyer's remorse as well - it is the fastest GPU available, and performs like it! I didn't buy it for value for money, I bought it because I wanted the absolute best possible PC performance available.
                              Nope, sorry. Still at 60 fps - well, it's 57 as I limit it to that for G-sync purposes. The SC is totally CPU bound, and there is a slight difference (5-10%?) between the 9700K and the 10900K in single core. Don't know.
                              (Sorry about attachment quality. It's very cropped due to ED's insistence on making the fps counter impossibly small on 4K monitors!)

Comment

Glad you’re happy!
                                You are well worth this after a long time of stutter issues !

Yes, as DCS isnt amoung the most well designed games it isnt possible to set all sliders to maximum and still enjoy it.

Despite this, I found myself at 90 fps on the supercarrier. Had tuned the SS to 100% (due to pimax) and back on the Reverb I had 90 fps with sbsolutely no stutter and also 90 fps in moste other cases. I had a Asus strix 2080 OC that was a bit further clocked and everything worked nice before, still the increase in DCS performance is really really good.
                                Not cheap, but still worth it

Once again, congrats to the solution you needed !

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Oculus Rift( Pimax 8KX incoming) ]
                                [DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]
                                i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti OC 11Gb @2080Mhz(ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC incoming) ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnars Driver View Post

Despite this, I found myself at 90 fps on the supercarrier. Had tuned the SS to 100% (due to pimax) and back on the Reverb I had 90 fps with sbsolutely no stutter and also 90 fps in moste other cases. I had a Asus strix 2080 OC that was a bit further clocked and everything worked nice before, still the increase in DCS performance is really really good.
                                  Not cheap, but still worth it
                                  The 3090 performance has been exemplary in 2D, but I still don't get anywhere near 90fps on the SC/Tomcat with with my Reverb - from memory I was locked at 45 which obviously meant reprojection was on. Can I ask what you've done to see such a huge fps increase? I'm most interested in things that deliver palpable, noticeable improvements, such as:

- final render resolution
                                  - MSAA
                                  - shadows
                                  - scenery detail
                                  - any VR mods, such as the shader mod.

I really shouldn't jump down this rabbit hole yet again, but I'd like to check to see if there's something new you're doing that I've missed. I've seen dozens of Reverb owners saying they can't hit 90 on the SC deck, so it'd be interesting to see how you did it.
                                  ​​

Intel i7-9700K OCd @ 5GHz; 32GB DDR4 3666MHz; Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090; Asus Hero XI mobo; 2x2TB 960 Pro mSATA SSDs; Corsair HX1000i PSU; Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp w/ Sennheiser HD800S; LG C9 55" Display (4k@120Hz w/ HDR and Gsync); HP Reverb; Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle; Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base base + F-16/F-14/F-18 grips; Crosswind pedals; TrackIR5; 4 x Lenovo e-Series Tablets w/ DCS UFC app.

Comment

The 3090 performance has been exemplary in 2D, but I still don't get anywhere near 90fps on the SC/Tomcat with with my Reverb - from memory I was locked at 45 which obviously meant reprojection was on. Can I ask what you've done to see such a huge fps increase? I'm most interested in things that deliver palpable, noticeable improvements, such as:

- final render resolution
                                    - MSAA
                                    - shadows
                                    - scenery detail
                                    - any VR mods, such as the shader mod.

I really shouldn't jump down this rabbit hole yet again, but I'd like to check to see if there's something new you're doing that I've missed. I've seen dozens of Reverb owners saying they can't hit 90 on the SC deck, so it'd be interesting to see how you did it.
                                    ​​
                                    First, I like it when youre happy so we try to stay happy

The F-14 is more demanding than other A/C's(Heatblurs AJS37 Viggen does about the same). Dunno why but I see they emulate vibrations and shaking for the aircraft. More than I ever saw live.

For down below I use F-18 thats better than F-14 on conserving the computer power. I can add F-14 to the mission and test that one later but as f-14 is worse than other aircrafts, the F-14 is part of the problem(at least) and its not only DCS fault.

The settings posted down below. I recently got the Pimax 8KX and I havent really tuned the computer for this yet, so I am in between, with a few settings lowered to keep it flowing with the Pimax.
                                    My normal settings, used with the 2080ti OC was SS150% and most often no MSAA. Otherwise I think its like the pictures below.

When I started DCS MSAA wasn't enabled. I normally did use 150% in SteamVR and with supersampling is kind of does the same thing for the jagged lines. I mainly dont put the sliders all the way to the right if I cannot notice a difference or a very small diff that loads the computer much. So, my regular setting was SS150 and as below but not MSAA at all.
                                    With the setting without MSAA I kept a rock steady 90fps on the SC. Except when starring at the command bridge. I had not notice it until you guys wrote about this.
                                    If I enable MSAA 2X I still have 90fps, but it start hunting from time to time between 89 and 91 so I gues its close to not keeping 90fps. Still rock solid smooth though.

I tried to shoot a film with geforce experience but then I actually did get chaning between 90 and 45fps, so it took my computer on the other side of the limit. And, how ever I do, if I shoot a movie at 60fps it wont come out smooth despite having the game flowing nice at 90fps, so I think some will get stuck seeing that.

I have no mods at all. resolution according to the steamvr setting below. Other settings as below.
                                    The CPU is clocked to 5.2Ghz on all cores and the 3090 is set to the default overclock mode in the asus GPU-tweak. I have tweaked/overclocked it further, and this might give med a few extra percent but as others might not have I did run it int the asus GPU tweak Overclock mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamVR.png
Views:	379
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	7147056

Name:	DCS.png
Views:	403
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	7147055
                                    [T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Oculus Rift( Pimax 8KX incoming) ]
                                    [DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]
                                    i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti OC 11Gb @2080Mhz(ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC incoming) ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Comment

So I added the F-14 to the mission. (The mission contains quite a few AI asset, both in air, on ground and at sea.).

I didnt see any difference with the F-14 on the SC. Still 90 fps, unless starring towards the bridge, with the settings from above.
                                      The latest update broke the flight controls, just added the axis to be able to taxi.

BTW= I use DCS open beta.

Name:	Screen-201121-004946.png
Views:	371
Size:	762.5 KB
ID:	7147150

Comment

Gunnars Driver , I was trying to replicate your settings and performance. The only way i could do it was with a core clock of 5.2 and mirrors off.

I find the hornet cold start mission, far more taxing than the F-14 Carrier Quals, and looking at the tower on the SC has a significant frame rate impact (taking it back to 45 just in the hornet, and a stable 45 in the Tom) still playing as we all like our eye candy in different places

Comment

Working...
                                        X