Which CPU/GPU with which G2/Q2 to get the best VR so far.

Nalfeyn

Hey folks.

I am currently dissatisfied with my current VR setup. I have got a I7 7700k with a 1080ti and a Quest 1. Performance and graphics are .. meeeeh. Especially on daytime. Nightime is mostly fine though.

Anyways. What do I want? I want sharp graphics, so i can read cockpit elements without VR Zoom and see ground and air targets in a good distance.

What do I need? I need a very good system and a very good VR device to archieve that.

I wanted to ask, if one of you is already running such a system.

I think about getting a RTX 3080 or 3080ti. Which processor would be recommended, to run good with the GPU?

Or should I think about getting an AMD?

I like the benefits of a Q2. Cheap price, good resolution and besides gaming on a computer, wireless gaming at home. But the G2 is also very attractive, due to the resolution.

Can anyone give me some advices? Cheers!

Hey folks.

I am currently dissatisfied with my current VR setup. I have got a I7 7700k with a 1080ti and a Quest 1. Performance and graphics are .. meeeeh. Especially on daytime. Nightime is mostly fine though.

Anyways. What do I want? I want sharp graphics, so i can read cockpit elements without VR Zoom and see ground and air targets in a good distance.

What do I need? I need a very good system and a very good VR device to archieve that.

I wanted to ask, if one of you is already running such a system.

I think about getting a RTX 3080 or 3080ti. Which processor would be recommended, to run good with the GPU?

Or should I think about getting an AMD?

I like the benefits of a Q2. Cheap price, good resolution and besides gaming on a computer, wireless gaming at home. But the G2 is also very attractive, due to the resolution.

Can anyone give me some advices? Cheers!

I suggest you to skip 3080 because for VR 10gb ram are few. And i also suggest you to consider AMD 6800XT or 6900XT with 16 gb memory who promise to perform better then 3080TI.

Right now we have no idea how the AMD GPU will perform in VR which typically uses resolution >4K. At 1440p or less, AMD cards are very strong giving great FPS. However, the advantage seems diminished at 4K resolution.

For example, in MSFS 2020 at 4K the 6800 XT’s performance is similar to the 2080Ti (34 vs 35 FPS), while 3080 pulls ahead with 42 FPS (Guru3D 6800XT Review). Now MSFS isn’t DCS so this result may or may not apply.

On the CPU side, AMD’s latest lineup is currently stronger than Intel so it should be better for VR.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I have a 5950x on backorder, I'm currently running a 10900k/3090 with my G2, and it powers it just fine, I have no complaints about the FPS and performance I'm seeing with DCS in VR. It's an excellent experience.

As Supmua said, the AMD stuff CPU wise in tests has been faster overall than the 10900k (the 5950x, and somewhat the 5900x), but in some games the 10900k is equal or even better, especially in 4k/VR. I'm not going to buy the 6800/xt because in the tests I've seen the 3080 and 3090 are almost unanimously ahead. I will build the 5950x AMD system though and test it vs the 10900k with my 3090 and 3080. I don't think they'll outperform the 10900k by much in DCS VR, if at all. We'll see either way shortly.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I suggest you to skip 3080 because for VR 10gb ram are few. And i also suggest you to consider AMD 6800XT or 6900XT with 16 gb memory who promise to perform better then 3080TI.

This is not the case, the 3080 is fine. I have one.

This whole VRAM thing is like a meme at this point.

Sure about that? According to fpsvr I need the whole 8GB with my 1080 and the G1.

Also I saw big improvements when I updated from 16GB to 32GB ram. And e. g. Syria needs around 23GB of ram!

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Edited

Edited by maxsin72
Double post

I have a 1080ti and all the 11gb of its memory are used with VR also with medium details. So sorry but i don't agree with you.

Load up afterburner, look at committed versus in use.

I'm using 6-8GB in multiplayer on the hoggit servers, no stuttering.

so the Channel, map certainly allocates well over 12Gb of memory to the GPU on my 3090

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

so the Channel, map certainly allocates well over 12Gb of memory to the GPU on my 3090

Then, quite frankly, you're doing something wrong.

Loading into the spitfire channel cold start in VR spikes to 7.5GB and then settles around 6.8GB of VRAM.

1100691888_Screenshot2020-11-20153127.png.21cdba1f1b71ce0809c260ce494a470b.png

Are you sure theres really any allocating of memory on a for VRAM dedicated memory ?

Id say it uses 12Gb.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Load up afterburner, look at committed versus in use.

I'm using 6-8GB in multiplayer on the hoggit servers, no stuttering.

I have a Reverb G1 and i fly F14 so high resolution means high memory usage expecially with the Tomcat, so DCS uses all the 11 Gb of my 1080TI

Are you sure theres really any allocating of memory on a for VRAM dedicated memory ?

Id say it uses 12Gb.

pretty sure, yes. as a data point you get a much smaller number in 2d than in vr

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

pretty sure, yes. as a data point you get a much smaller number in 2d than in vr

What I ment was that the term allocated memory is used for shared RAM (shared between CPU and GPU). I'd say that the number you see is close to the actually used VRAM. If you look into the task manager and use the performance tab the GPU memory you see is the one reported from the VidMm that is the windows process managing the VRAM. At least that was what the windows developers told us on their blog when the update that got us the GPU/VRAM load/usage to the task manager.

So the idea that something allocates a lot of video memory but only a small part is used is probably not true.

I often get 17-19Gb usage reported in fpsvr with the pimax 8KX, and slightly more in task manager. Probasbly because windows use a small amount for the windows screen seen.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Yes, I think the main point, is Dcs can and does make use of more than 11gb of ram if it's available

• Like 1

Yes, I think the main point, is Dcs can and does make use of more than 11gb of ram if it's available

Absolutely!

I see you and I agree on this, but for the record when the allocated term comes up:

There has been a lot of people saying that the allocated VRAM isnt the same as the used one. By this they mean that when we read 17Gb or so, the real usage is below 10(or 11 or 8Gb). The main thinking is that the GPU allocates memory on the VRAM but does not at all use that much. What they do is to try convince them self that 10Gb(or 11 or 8) is enough.

I say that as the VRAM is exlusive for the GPU there is no need to allocate memory.

The Graphics Kernel includes a GPU scheduler (VidSch) as well as a video memory manager (VidMm). VidSch is responsible for scheduling the various engines of the GPU to processes wanting to use them and to arbitrate and prioritize access among them. VidMm is responsible for managing all memory used by the GPU, including both VRAM (the memory on your graphics card) as well as pages of main DRAM (system memory) directly accessed by the GPU

Further, because VidMm and VidSch are the actual agents making decisions about using GPU resources, the data in the Task Manager will be more accurate than many other utilities, which often do their best to make intelligent guesses since they do not have access to the actual data.

(Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/gpus-in-the-task-manager/ )

The conclusion is that the task manager VRAM value is correct. Also, the "apps" reports is said to differ, but I find the delkta small and at least fpsvr seems to report slightly lower than the task manager.

When we read 11 or 17 och 19Gb usage of VRAM, its not that far from the truth.

Well I just flew in multiplayer with my Quest 2 / Link and this was just amazing! I had Rift S before, but now this is another level of visual quality and clarity.

1. I have i7-8700, RTX-2070, 32 GB Ram, 2xM2 SSD. Link cable not original, just USB-3.0 to USB-C 5-meters cable.

2. My settings in DCS: texture high, water high, terrain low, MSAA off, SS off, Anyzotropic filtering max, PD default.

3. Settings over link: 90Hz, 1.7 graphic level (5408 x 2736 rendering value). Also had Encoding resolution width set to 3664 and Encoding bitrate set to 500 Mbps in Oculus Debug Tool (you can set this either in debug tool or get Oculus Tray tool Beta 0.86.8.0 which has bitrate setting for link too.)

Was pretty smooth flight in multiplayer with many objects and players (4ya Syria map PVE server). The only downside was that sometimes I had small freeze for about half a second, once per 10-15 minutes though so I guess it happens.But anyway this is just amazing.

With best regards, Albert R. Valiev

----

Oculus Rift S, i7-8700, RTX-2070, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD (X4 PCI-E mode).

Was pretty smooth flight in multiplayer with many objects and players (4ya Syria map PVE server). The only downside was that sometimes I had small freeze for about half a second, once per 10-15 minutes though so I guess it happens.But anyway this is just amazing.

Can mention that I have the occasional stutter and double vision out the side on Syria with the S, but caucasus and PG are buttery smooth.

There is definitely some work to be done with Syria, but it is a gorgeus map.

It might not be the most stable for testing performance on yet, in any case consider it perhaps a worst case scenario.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

The best setup you can have for DCS is not completely out yet and would be made up of an AMD Ryzen 3 5950X, a X570 motherboard (think Gigabyte Aorus Master) and the upcoming RX 6900XT paired with the Reverb G2. Part of this is because of the Smart Access Memory feature. The 6900 XT is slightly better with VR than the Nvidia 3090, and I don't mean in just plain framerate, I mean in the rendering pipeline. The result is smoother.

https://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/ - Where flight simming tech and interesting news come together.

LTT released a video yesterday of the new AMD cards and the SAM feature isnt doing much for his real-world performance results. Only a few FPS more than non-SAM setups. He says nvidia is STILL king

-Alex

i9-12900K | RTX3080 | 32GB DDR4 | Water Cooled | Logitech X56 | TrackIR5 | 34" MSI Curved Widescreen 3440x1440