Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which CPU/GPU with which G2/Q2 to get the best VR so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which CPU/GPU with which G2/Q2 to get the best VR so far.

Hey folks.
    I am currently dissatisfied with my current VR setup. I have got a I7 7700k with a 1080ti and a Quest 1. Performance and graphics are .. meeeeh. Especially on daytime. Nightime is mostly fine though.
    Anyways. What do I want? I want sharp graphics, so i can read cockpit elements without VR Zoom and see ground and air targets in a good distance.

What do I need? I need a very good system and a very good VR device to archieve that.

I wanted to ask, if one of you is already running such a system.

I think about getting a RTX 3080 or 3080ti. Which processor would be recommended, to run good with the GPU?
    Or should I think about getting an AMD?

I like the benefits of a Q2. Cheap price, good resolution and besides gaming on a computer, wireless gaming at home. But the G2 is also very attractive, due to the resolution.

Can anyone give me some advices? Cheers!

Originally posted by Nalfeyn View Post
    Hey folks.
    I am currently dissatisfied with my current VR setup. I have got a I7 7700k with a 1080ti and a Quest 1. Performance and graphics are .. meeeeh. Especially on daytime. Nightime is mostly fine though.
    Anyways. What do I want? I want sharp graphics, so i can read cockpit elements without VR Zoom and see ground and air targets in a good distance.

What do I need? I need a very good system and a very good VR device to archieve that.

I wanted to ask, if one of you is already running such a system.

I think about getting a RTX 3080 or 3080ti. Which processor would be recommended, to run good with the GPU?
    Or should I think about getting an AMD?

I like the benefits of a Q2. Cheap price, good resolution and besides gaming on a computer, wireless gaming at home. But the G2 is also very attractive, due to the resolution.

Can anyone give me some advices? Cheers!
    I suggest you to skip 3080 because for VR 10gb ram are few. And i also suggest you to consider AMD 6800XT or 6900XT with 16 gb memory who promise to perform better then 3080TI.

Comment

Originally posted by maxsin72 View Post

I suggest you to skip 3080 because for VR 10gb ram are few. And i also suggest you to consider AMD 6800XT or 6900XT with 16 gb memory who promise to perform better then 3080TI.
      Thank you very much.

Comment

Right now we have no idea how the AMD GPU will perform in VR which typically uses resolution >4K. At 1440p or less, AMD cards are very strong giving great FPS. However, the advantage seems diminished at 4K resolution.

For example, in MSFS 2020 at 4K the 6800 XT’s performance is similar to the 2080Ti (34 vs 35 FPS), while 3080 pulls ahead with 42 FPS (Guru3D 6800XT Review). Now MSFS isn’t DCS so this result may or may not apply.

On the CPU side, AMD’s latest lineup is currently stronger than Intel so it should be better for VR.
        PC: 9900K/3090, 32GB RAM.
        Joystick bases: TMWx2, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L
        Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2
        Throttles: TMWx2, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant
        VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Comment

I have a 5950x on backorder, I'm currently running a 10900k/3090 with my G2, and it powers it just fine, I have no complaints about the FPS and performance I'm seeing with DCS in VR. It's an excellent experience.

As Supmua said, the AMD stuff CPU wise in tests has been faster overall than the 10900k (the 5950x, and somewhat the 5900x), but in some games the 10900k is equal or even better, especially in 4k/VR. I'm not going to buy the 6800/xt because in the tests I've seen the 3080 and 3090 are almost unanimously ahead. I will build the 5950x AMD system though and test it vs the 10900k with my 3090 and 3080. I don't think they'll outperform the 10900k by much in DCS VR, if at all. We'll see either way shortly.
          Systems
          Spoiler:

Primay DCS System : i9 10900k/Zotac 3090/970Pro SSD/Asus PG27uq 4k@144hz/AlienWare 34" 2k@120hz. Gaming Laptop MSI GT76 Titan DT.

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Comment

Cant wait to hear your comparison of those machines Gman109!

how long is your backorder date?

Comment

Same, i can't wait to see if the new generation CPU helps with VR performance in DCS.
              Also, what i'm interested about, is how much VRAM are you using (not allocated) with the 3090. Does it exceed 10Gb ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wizack View Post
                Same, i can't wait to see if the new generation CPU helps with VR performance in DCS.
                Also, what i'm interested about, is how much VRAM are you using (not allocated) with the 3090. Does it exceed 10Gb ?
                Me too

Comment

This is not the case, the 3080 is fine. I have one.

This whole VRAM thing is like a meme at this point.

Comment

• maxsin72
                    maxsin72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Edited
                    Last edited 11-20-2020, 06:07 PM. Reason: Double post

Originally posted by FoxTwo View Post

Sure about that? According to fpsvr I need the whole 8GB with my 1080 and the G1.
                  Also I saw big improvements when I updated from 16GB to 32GB ram. And e. g. Syria needs around 23GB of ram!

Comment

I have a 1080ti and all the 11gb of its memory are used with VR also with medium details. So sorry but i don't agree with you.

Comment

I have a 1080ti and all the 11gb of its memory are used with VR also with medium details. So sorry but i don't agree with you.
                      Load up afterburner, look at committed versus in use.

I'm using 6-8GB in multiplayer on the hoggit servers, no stuttering.

Comment

so the Channel, map certainly allocates well over 12Gb of memory to the GPU on my 3090
                        SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff: My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR, My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

Comment

The best setup you can have for DCS is not completely out yet and would be made up of an AMD Ryzen 3 5950X, a X570 motherboard (think Gigabyte Aorus Master) and the upcoming RX 6900XT paired with the Reverb G2. Part of this is because of the Smart Access Memory feature. The 6900 XT is slightly better with VR than the Nvidia 3090, and I don't mean in just plain framerate, I mean in the rendering pipeline. The result is smoother.

https://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/ - Where flight simming tech and interesting news come together.
                          One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Comment

Originally posted by speed-of-heat View Post
                            so the Channel, map certainly allocates well over 12Gb of memory to the GPU on my 3090
                            Then, quite frankly, you're doing something wrong.

Loading into the spitfire channel cold start in VR spikes to 7.5GB and then settles around 6.8GB of VRAM.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Btw, the RTX 3080 works just fine with DCS. The difference compared to the 3090 is marginal with the Reverb G2 and a 5950/10900K.

https://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/ - Where flight simming tech and interesting news come together.
                              One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Comment

Are you sure theres really any allocating of memory on a for VRAM dedicated memory ?

Id say it uses 12Gb.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Oculus Rift( Pimax 8KX incoming) ]
                                [DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]
                                i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti OC 11Gb @2080Mhz(ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC incoming) ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Comment

Load up afterburner, look at committed versus in use.

I'm using 6-8GB in multiplayer on the hoggit servers, no stuttering.
                                  I have a Reverb G1 and i fly F14 so high resolution means high memory usage expecially with the Tomcat, so DCS uses all the 11 Gb of my 1080TI

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnars Driver View Post

Are you sure theres really any allocating of memory on a for VRAM dedicated memory ?

Id say it uses 12Gb.
                                    pretty sure, yes. as a data point you get a much smaller number in 2d than in vr
                                    SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb Pro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

VR Stuff: My 2.5.6. DCS VR Settings, Shaders MOD for VR, My variant of Kegetys mod with clear water and also IC PASS for current beta & stable

Comment

pretty sure, yes. as a data point you get a much smaller number in 2d than in vr
                                      What I ment was that the term allocated memory is used for shared RAM (shared between CPU and GPU). I'd say that the number you see is close to the actually used VRAM. If you look into the task manager and use the performance tab the GPU memory you see is the one reported from the VidMm that is the windows process managing the VRAM. At least that was what the windows developers told us on their blog when the update that got us the GPU/VRAM load/usage to the task manager.
                                      So the idea that something allocates a lot of video memory but only a small part is used is probably not true.

I often get 17-19Gb usage reported in fpsvr with the pimax 8KX, and slightly more in task manager. Probasbly because windows use a small amount for the windows screen seen.
                                      [T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Oculus Rift( Pimax 8KX incoming) ]
                                      [DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]
                                      i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti OC 11Gb @2080Mhz(ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC incoming) ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Comment

Working...
                                      X