CPU Optimization Guide?

Dangerzone

Hi,

I've started experience dreadful FPS's the last two nights where I haven't before in VR. Looking at FPSVR it seems as though it's the CPU framerates (not GPU) that is causing the issues.

I just wanted to get a list of all the things to look at (and focus solely on) CPU optimizations for DCS. Can anyone please advise if I've missed anything:

Windows Power Setting - High Power

Windows Update - Disabled

Antivirus Program - Exclude DCS Games and DCS User file Directories

Installation, OS and Pagefile - on SSD Drive

Check CPU Temperatures / ensure cooling is adequate / CPU isn't being throttled due to overheating

Check Windows updates haven't reverted any 'tweaks' previously applied:

Registry Priority Hack for DCS

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\

Add a key called DCS.exe

In that add a key PerfOptions

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DCS.exe\PerfOptions add a DWord CpuPriorityClass and set to 3 (Priority High)

Disable 'Hot Plugin' for DCS

Under Saved Games\DCS\Confic edit (or create) autoexec.cfg and add the code:

no_device_hotplug = true

Disable (Or confirm) Windows 10 Game DVR / Game Bar and XBOX Game Monitoring is Disabled. (Windows updates re-enables??)

Disable Windows 10 Full Screen Optimisation

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value GameDVR_FSEBehavior and set value to "2" (disabled).

Note: Must create 32-Bit DWord regardless of O/S

Is there anything I have missed?

(If possible I will update this first post with any new recommendations incase it's helpful to others as a guide in future).

Edit 2020-06-13:

Disable memory compression in Windows 10 – {dev} (wordpress.com)

Edited by Dangerzone
Adding additional information

I would never disable windows update, just go in before you fly and pull down what you need, same with the store. By default it only checks daily.

game bar costs you nothing in cpu anymore, enabling dvr recording is huge just make sure it’s turned off.

with full screen optimisation, you have to make sure you are in real full screen for any benefit, alt-enter when in game.

do a quick pass of services / programs that run at Start up or in the back ground. And see which ones you actually need,iCue from Corsair eats cpu cycles...(do them, one at a time rebooting after each change so you can revert each one, if it breaks something)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

For standard Win 10 Sevices configuration you can check Black Viper's website: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

Compared to Windows OS before Win 10, there is a lot less to be turned off except for an obsolete service which doesn't eat cycles anyway. Used to be a big deal on XP, after that less and less.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Worth trying this... Delete FXO and metashaders folders within your Saved Games folder. The deleted folders are then re-created next time you run the sim. This will increase the load times on the first new load, but has sorted some stutters and low fps after an update or after changing some graphics settings.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I also use the tool "Process Lasso" to make sure Window's CPU usage runs at highest performance for DCS.exe and exclusively set separate cores to run SteamVR processes (vrcompositor.exe).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I also use the tool "Process Lasso" to make sure Window's CPU usage runs at highest performance for DCS.exe and exclusively set separate cores to run SteamVR processes (vrcompositor.exe).

that's what what the registry performance hack does in the OP's post

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Im having the same issues, my hardware isnt even close to sweating and the FPS is all over the place. Ive seen improvements on the CPU side from changing the windows processor scheduling priority to background services instead of programs. That seemed to help with the stutters. (most everything mentioned above ive done too) Also using the vr optimised shaders and culling added to the cgf file moved things in the right direction.

Culling has been a known way of winning back performance for a pretty long time in VR so im a little surprised this is only now being played with. I feel like im chasing my tail a bit when in reality the VR side of things just needs a lot of work to get it optimised and into shape. Seems like the only way we are getting acceptable performance is through visual compromise or brut forcing the problem with very top-end hardware.

Still hoping with every update for a significant VR improvement, but its been a fair few years now.

• Like 1

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

my hardware isnt even close to sweating and the FPS is all over the place

sorry to ask an obvious question but; what exactly do you mean? your CPU will not give you more than 50% at best because DCS wont use the cores? what are your settings?

Ive seen improvements on the CPU side from changing the windows processor scheduling priority to background services instead of programs. That seemed to help with the stutters.

To confirm, are you saying that you change your settings so that Background services is CHECKED as per the below?

prioritisebackgroundservices.jpg.01dfece3bb45c843452185b8e980428e.jpg

I would have thought that dcs being a program would have benefitted more by Programs over Background services (which it is by default) - but at this stage I'm willing to give anything a go. Do you know the logic behind this change and how it decreases the stuttering?

Edit: For those wanting to know where this setting is - it's under System Properties-Advanced Tab-Click Settings in the Performance box, then click the Advanced tab in the Performance Options dialog that displays.

im pretty sure if you are getting better perf by setting background services, you need to look at what services are running on your device... and turn the ones off that are misbehaving ... use care when turning services off, YMMV!

• Like 1

that's what what the registry performance hack does in the OP's post

Process Lasso has a couple more options besides cpu affinity like system priority class, I/O priority and an exclusive application power profile.

@Dangerzone disable_write_track = true in autoexec.cfg minimizes extra disk activity, might be worth a try.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Process Lasso has a couple more options besides cpu affinity like system priority class, I/O priority and an exclusive application power profile.

@Dangerzone disable_write_track = true in autoexec.cfg minimizes extra disk activity, might be worth a try.

Thanks all for your advise. I've given the background services priority a try - but haven't noticed any difference. One thing I've noticed is that when I F2 to cycle through other aircraft on a large map/server - the CPU goes balistic but never settles down again. Even after exiting DCS the steam room is all jerky as though it's gotten itself in a bind and won't refresh. I need to reboot the PC to get it working again. I don't have onedrive configured on this PC and are searchign for any other services that could be causing issues but this PC is almost a clean install except for VMWare and DCS. (With VMWare not running).

I'll give disable_write_track a shot - thanks for the suggestion!

If you have intel CPU check if you have ingame CPU frequency as it should be. I had some strange setup with my powerplan & intel turbo boost settings and my CPU was locked to 3,6ghz instead of 5ghz. I dont remember what specifically I did (3 months ago) but it improved game a lot in my case.

• Like 1

PC: Intel Core i7-9700K 4.9 GHz | Palit RTX 2080 GameRock 8GB GDDR6 256BIT | MSI Z390-A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz CL15@3200MHZ XMP | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit 1909

Gear: HP Reverb Pro V2 (Rift S Before)| Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

If you have intel CPU check if you have ingame CPU frequency as it should be. I had some strange setup with my powerplan & intel turbo boost settings and my CPU was locked to 3,6ghz instead of 5ghz. I dont remember what specifically I did (3 months ago) but it improved game a lot in my case.

This is probably quite common, to have the BIOS settings for power duration so that the CPU either doesnt reach the target clock or that it clocks down after a while on high power, just as Intel intended them to do.

Also, buying high speed RAM memory and not setting the correct profile to get them run as intended it probably qiute common but it wouldnt have that high hit on performance.

The above is the first thing I tell about what to check when people have problems with low fps or high frame times. Thats also the first thing people ignore when reading the answers and tips&tricks from others.

• Like 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

This is probably quite common, to have the BIOS settings for power duration so that the CPU either doesnt reach the target clock or that it clocks down after a while on high power, just as Intel intended them to do.

Also, buying high speed RAM memory and not setting the correct profile to get them run as intended it probably qiute common but it wouldnt have that high hit on performance.

The above is the first thing I tell about what to check when people have problems with low fps or high frame times. Thats also the first thing people ignore when reading the answers and tips&tricks from others.

Thanks for the tip. I can't find any settings in BIOS that specifically mention power duration or power plans but there seem to be some individual settings. I've been trying to find more information about optimizing these settings in the BIOS but my google fu must be poor. I keep getting information about clock rates, etc but not much on the power settings, and what I can find tells me to do things but not why.

I've made a few changes after doing some searches and best guess as to what these functions are and will see if this helps. I've changed the following in BIOS:

DISABLED BCLK Adaptive Voltage ( It was on Auto)

(I'm guessing that this allows voltage to be lowered when in Auto to save power - I've disabled it with the hope that it will keep a constant voltage)

Disabled Voltage Optimization

GPU Graphics Voltage VAXG left on Auto

No idea what this does but looking at some websites it seems people leave this on auto.

DISABLED Energy Efficient Turbo (It was on Auto)

I'm guessing when enabled it only turbo's up to a certain level to be energy efficient

DISABLED Voltage Optimization (It Was Auto)

Expecting that disabling optimization means more power consumption, but doesn't restrict the CPU

Intel Turbo Boost Technology left on AUTO

I'm guessing this will kick in turbo boost when it needs extra. (Bios hint said to leave it on Auto)

DISABLED Race to Halt (It was on Auto)

From what I can tell this is something that is again designed to do something quick and then return to a power efficient setting afterwards.

DISABLED CPU EIST Function (Was Auto)

From what I can tell this function is designed to bring CPU clock speeds back when not required. I'm guessing disabling it will force CPU clock speeds to maintain the maximum.

Left Intel Speedshift Technology ENABLED

Left Ring to Core offset (DownBin) as AUTO

Hopefully these are the settings you're referring to and will help. It seems very strange that DCS is doing OK - and then wont' recover as though the CPU is changing in the way it processes things. Time will tell.

Please let me know if any of the above are the wrong way around.

Thanks for the tip. I can't find any settings in BIOS that specifically mention power duration or power plans

What motherboard do you have?

(one thing noticed after the update of the forum, no attatched info....which is very good when supporting in a forum. :-( )

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

The "Intel turbo" is designed as to only give the full clockspeed at a limited time, after this the CPU should throttle down to keep within the limits of TDP. This means that hte CPU cooling requirement is set lower than it actual is for running the CPU at full speed over time. If you have sufficient cooling you can use hte higher clock speed(more heat) a longer time. A nice setup can keep it all the time. Some motherboards follow this Intel turbo guidance and doesnt keep the turbo speed over time. Some may, Ive only done Asus mobos and never even tried stock settings so...I'm not the best to tell for that part. Read the linked article for more info.

The settings differ a bit between manufacturers(even between chips by same manufacturer and even between motherboards using the same chip), different names for same thing etc.

Asus use: turbo mode parameters, long duration power package limit etc.

Intel TDP Investigation: Boards Violating Turbo Duration (Z390) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

• Like 1

Sorry about that. I've got the Aorus B460 pro motherboard with a 10700K

Before chaning these settings, make sure the cooling of your computer/CPU is up to it. Install som temperature software to see the cPU temps(core temp for example, as I use). There should be safety built in in the motherboard bios that protects the cpu, but to be sure, use a cpu temperature software and keep a look on the temps when tuning.

Package Power Limit TDP (Watts) / Package Power Limit Time hould be set to "diabled" of something like that (the manual only states auto or enabled).

Core Current Limit (Amps) could be changed, but I dont know this motherboard and the settings. Either we get a tip from someone else here, or you check youtube for youer motherboard(preferebly with the same CPU) and find appropriate settings.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b460m-aorus-pro_1001_201014_e.pdf (the manual I looked in)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK - scouring the internet I've come across some other potential solutions (yet to be tested)....

Overclock RAM.

Apparently RAM speed can have a significant impact on CPU, which can convert to FPS with the GPU...

Use "Process Lasso" to set thread priority on dcs.exe.

I came across this thread https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...rformances-pdf which I'm yet to try out...

Turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS.

(Controversial subject apparently but may offer a solution).

I'm holding off adding these 3 potential new options to post #1 until I've had a chance to test each out and/or get feedback from other users, but I'm keen to test and see if there's any noticeable improvement. (And coz I'm still playing around with basic CPU overclocking, and want to make one change at a time so I know if something goes wrong or right - what change it was) :-) So far - all has been good with CPU temps though!