PiMax for DCS: Accessories needed?

jacob12342

I'm looking to upgrade from Oculus to PiMax, probably the 5k. Do I need the base stations or wands that are sold separately? I generally don't use the oculus ones, but rather use the mouse in cockpit.

Also, I plan to use a buttonbox, will I be able to peek under the PI visor like I do with the Oculus?

Thanks!

You don't NEED base stations, you can use the headset gyros for 3dof. Apparently it works pretty well from what I've heard. But **** that, I'd hate not having 6dof.

I don't use the hand controllers in DCS at all. HOTAS and mouse/kb.

There is a reasonable nose gap in my 5k+, but I got mine 18 months ago. Don't know if that shape has changed in production since. I use it to look down at my button boxes, but it somehow isn't visible when looking straight ahead. So it's perfect for both. I have a caucasian nose btw, so if you're asian you could have a bigger gap there! My wife is asian and doesn't like the nose gap and how it rests on her cheeks.

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Ok, so without the base stations, I am limited to 3DOF? I checked on the PiMax store, and the single SteamVR base station is sold out and the product page for the dual base staions says

I'm a bit confused as to what I need to run 6DOF in IL2 and DCS with an Artisan or 5K+. I have been using 6DOF with TIR for over 10 years and Oculus supports 6DOF it natively.

I am guessing you have the base stations?

Ok, so without the base stations, I am limited to 3DOF? I checked on the PiMax store, and the single SteamVR base station is sold out and the product page for the dual base staions says

I'm a bit confused as to what I need to run 6DOF in IL2 and DCS with an Artisan or 5K+. I have been using 6DOF with TIR for over 10 years and Oculus supports 6DOF it natively.

I am guessing you have the base stations?

You can go to ebay and buy any base station. Even the original station that shipped with the original Vive. One base station will give you 6DoF. It's more than enough for DCS. If you want to walk around and do the whole room setup, you should get two.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1