low cpu and gpu usage yet still low fps

eatthis

fpsvr is showing

gpu usage of 40% ish and vram usage of 9.7gb of 11gb (2080ti)

cpu usage of 45-50% and it does seem to be spread reasonably among all 8 threads (7700k at 5ghz)

cpu time is in the 30s and gpu frame time is in the high teens low 20s

pd 1.0 ss set at 200% msaa 4x

iv deliberatly gone for mp server with a huaey at a farp which has always crucified the fps. what i dont understand is the low usage %. also what uses the most vram because thats seems alot too

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Seems very strange to have the CPU load well spread amongst the cores...or it would ve noce if it had bern this way.

We know the main thread of DCS only can use one thread, so you should really have one core loaded.

What RAM do you have, size/clock speed?

SS200% is quite high. What about using more regular settings and do a test on a instant action, to see that everything works like it should. Refering to servers that produce a big load or high frame times without knowing everything works perfect when these loads isnt present might make us hunt ghosts.

Low load on the core driving the main DCS thread should’nt be consinstent with frame times above 20ms

It could be nice to have your hardware down in your signature, so we dont meed to go back to the initial post to find out. Also, what VR goggles do you use?

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

For some reason my task manager also shows a more even spread than usual (i just brought it up to take a screenshot for this thread), I assume it's just the kernel maximizing cache across the cores.

Anyway, to Gunnar's point, DCS is limited in the number of threads/cores it will use, so while your overall CPU might be at 45-50%, DCS cannot use any more of it and is saturated.

Seems very strange to have the CPU load well spread amongst the cores...or it would ve noce if it had bern this way.

We know the main thread of DCS only can use one thread, so you should really have one core loaded.

What RAM do you have, size/clock speed?

SS200% is quite high. What about using more regular settings and do a test on a instant action, to see that everything works like it should. Refering to servers that produce a big load or high frame times without knowing everything works perfect when these loads isnt present might make us hunt ghosts.

Low load on the core driving the main DCS thread should’nt be consinstent with frame times above 20ms

It could be nice to have your hardware down in your signature, so we dont meed to go back to the initial post to find out. Also, what VR goggles do you use?

sig edited and pic attached, i dropped the ss to 150% with basically no loss of quality (oddly) and got a couple of extra fps at the farp (runway fps is 30 ish in huey and tomcat)

i use valve index btw

framrate.thumb.png.ee2635d6833c5101f7cb5b4e67bd2826.png

For some reason my task manager also shows a more even spread than usual (i just brought it up to take a screenshot for this thread), I assume it's just the kernel maximizing cache across the cores.

Anyway, to Gunnar's point, DCS is limited in the number of threads/cores it will use, so while your overall CPU might be at 45-50%, DCS cannot use any more of it and is saturated.

i thought it hammered 1 core but the spread is showing fairly even across all the threads, not 1 thread getting slammed while the others chill out and await their turn. is something funky going on or is fps vr (and task manager too) misreading the core loads?

It might be easier to see the load core for core woth windows task manager, performance tab, resource monitor, and open the cpu tab. Widen the window, rund DCS for a while, and then alt tab to the resource monitor and look for the CPU loads.

This is a very old post from me, but look at the picture:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4163309&postcount=288

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

i thought it hammered 1 core but the spread is showing fairly even across all the threads, not 1 thread getting slammed while the others chill out and await their turn. is something funky going on or is fps vr (and task manager too) misreading the core loads?

Have you mixed with any CPU affinity in DCS ? If so, that might cause this ?

You shouldnt get fram times that high if any core isnt close to 100%. If its not 100%, then its not working all the time, and with frame times over 11ms(if 90fps headset), it should really do that.

Someting wrong nut at this point hard to see what...

Have you mixed with any CPU affinity in DCS ? If so, that might cause this ?

You shouldnt get fram times that high if any core isnt close to 100%. If its not 100%, then its not working all the time, and with frame times over 11ms(if 90fps headset), it should really do that.

Someting wrong nut at this point hard to see what...

never hear dof cpu affinity, what is it?

try to turn off msaa (& tacview if you are using it) for testing purposes

(On my box the use of tacview shows high cpu frametimes too without full usage of a core. I suspect the cpu is waiting and blocked for a tacview intervall without actually doing something useful. Without tacview I get much better frametimes and 100% core usage. I uninstalled tacview therefore)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Ehh, you shouldnt go lasso before it work as it should, even if you could gain from lasso( dont know, havent tried) you should make sure everything is ok before.

Can you Print screen the dcs settings?

Is your 7700K setup to do 5.0 on all cores all the time?

Use some kind of software to check this, perhaps HW monitor 64 or something.

The CPU should preferebly do 5.0 on all cores and all the time.

What cputemps do you get ?

Check that the CPU isnt working with other strange stuff when you do nothing = CPU load should be close to zero when looking in this forum.

Check this post about co,puter setup. Might kick in open doors but...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4498999&postcount=20

Try DCS settings like these. Do not use the presets down to the right.

Arrows to the left, ,imi,u, setting and arrow right, try max on preload radius.

DCS-Settings-2.png

Set SS in steam to 100%.

Run a instant action mission, like take off or landing or something and then check framtimes etc with fpsvr

Edited by Gunnars Driver
Fixed spelling from quick iphone mess with bad spelling help

Ehh, ypu shouldnt go lasso before it Work as it should, even if ypu coul gain from lasso( dont know, habemt tried) you should make sure everything is ok before.

Can you Print screen the dcs settings?

Is your 7700K setup to do 5.0 on all vores all the time?

Use some kind of software to check this, perhaps HW monitor 64 or something.

The CPU should preferebly do 5.0 on all cores and all the time.

What cputemps do you get ?

all cores 5ghz np, its on water so its not throttling. i think low/mid 70s temp max

what is msaa mask size?

disabling tacview did nothing

1891872937_settings1.thumb.png.37e476cf1a2a0223eb3fe32bb0d89052.png

735303891_settings2.thumb.png.f89eecbc06d80c5dbc7faf36ee56092a.png

Edited by eatthis

all cores 5ghz np, its on water so its not throttling. i think low/mid 70s temp max

what is msaa mask size and how do i turn tacview off?

Threes visibility is hard on fps, and so are grass/cliutter. Try them on minimum.

Set MSAA to off also, for this test, and SS to 100%.

Chimney smoke to the lowest possible.

cockpit global illumination to off.

I didnt se any change when I tried MSAA mask after it got implemented. I think its supposed to mask the part of the picture you dont see in the goggles, and thereby reduce the demanded CPU/GPU calculations. Dont use it for these tests anyway.

my system doesn't compare to yours (in signature) because I have a very old CPU and MB but I found this out:

Clear your SavedGames folder (or rename it if you don't want to loose any files) and remove the terrain metacache. Then load a "fresh" DCS.

By doing so I found that I can get much better FPS and stability, still far away from the steady 45fps that I'm looking for but for that I'll need to upgrade my PC. Not sure what weird obsolete files were causing this but clearing the folder improved my experience

With vis range to medium, AA 2x, An filter 8x, terrain obj shadows off and all other settings maxed out I am getting around 32 to 36 fps while flying, low 20s at airports, 40+ at high altitude... not ideal but considering I am running a 8+ years CPU is not bad.. And I have an HP reverb which has a higher res compared to your index.

(I am not running any shaders mod, only terrain for PG and Caucasus and better trees/smoke)

CPU and GPU usage are most of the time pegged at 100% with occasional drops to 80ish and subsequent bump in fps.

Also, I read quite often that you should set in your NVIDIA control panel the "number of frames pre-rendered" to 4 (maximum). If I do that in my system it completely crushes my CPU and I get all sorts of weird rubber banding and stuttering. I set that to 2 and it works much much better and I even tested 1 and it is also super smooth. Maybe give that a go.

Make also sure that DCS is set to your CPU max priority by adding this register entry:

Default to high priority process for DCS.exe

I took many good advices from this video, maybe you know it already if not give it a go (be aware that not all those advices might be beneficial or applicable to your system e.g. in my case the NVIDIA pre-rendered frames)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

I should add:

in game PD 1.0. Steam VR supersampling 150%

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Also, funnily enough If I use the VR preset that DCS suggest I am getting worse FPS than with my own (higher) settings

Threes visibility is hard on fps, and so are grass/cliutter. Try them on minimum.

Set MSAA to off also, for this test, and SS to 100%.

Chimney smoke to the lowest possible.

cockpit global illumination to off.

I didnt se any change when I tried MSAA mask after it got implemented. I think its supposed to mask the part of the picture you dont see in the goggles, and thereby reduce the demanded CPU/GPU calculations. Dont use it for these tests anyway.

trees and grass made zero difference

what does make a huge difference is the dust cloud you get on a hotstart with the huey. once thats buggered off the fps goes to 25-30

trees and grass made zero difference

what does make a huge difference is the dust cloud you get on a hotstart with the huey. once thats buggered off the fps goes to 25-30

We should have about the same computer performance.

If I lower my CPU clock to 5.0, it shouldnt be much diff. I have a 2080ti Strix OC, that further clocked but not very big differences. Im way lower than your frame times, and higher in FPS:

A bit busy, the winter just arriwed.

Ill try to make a flight in a default Huey instant action, for comparing.

There seem to be a big hickup for your system that needs to be found.

Did you clear the shaders ? (I have never done it, not needed it but I saw people with problems do it here and that fixed most of the issues).

We should have about the same computer performance.

If I lower my CPU clock to 5.0, it shouldnt be much diff. I have a 2080ti Strix OC, that further clocked but not very big differences. Im way lower than your frame times, and higher in FPS:

A bit busy, the winter just arriwed.

Ill try to make a flight in a default Huey instant action, for comparing.

There seem to be a big hickup for your system that needs to be found.

Did you clear the shaders ? (I have never done it, not needed it but I saw people with problems do it here and that fixed most of the issues).

on single player its locked solid at 60 fps, its mp and especially a farp that hammers the performance.

my 2080ti is watercooled and oc 2100 core, and plus 1000mhz memory

ps cleared shaders

on single player its locked solid at 60 fps,

What about frame times?

I did a quick run, instant action the uppermost( free flight?) and not changed the map from default so I guess its the default kaukasus map.

Huey.png

Huey2.png

DCS-settings.png

Also set SS150(shows 149%.)

I have The Reverb, motionreporjection set to auto so its always 45fps when it cant do 90.

I think you should do a check on this for frames times etc to se if something differs.

Adfter that I could do the same mission as you use that make things slow.

i used to have msaa off but damn its ugly! i HATE the jaggies

il test your settings now

I think SS does about the same(for the jaggies). I have used oit to and from but I dont think I really saw any diff with SS on 150% in the reverbs.

right its running high teens for cpu frame times (msaa off is fine with ss at 150)

il test the murderous server now

30 fps (was 20) gpu ft low teens, temp is 38. cpu ft high 20s and temp is high 50s/low 60s