Opinion requested: Upcoming Facebook account requirement for Quest 2

Fri13

There is upcoming change in the Facebook rules that one to use Quest 2 is required to use it through a Facebook account. Previously Facebook and Oculus both promised that it would never happen and players can keep using just standalone Oculus account. And that has upset people, not just here for the DCS World use but everywhere.

I belong to group that has never had Facebook account, never will. But I as well belong to group that has used Whatsapp communication application on phone way before Facebook bought that company. And while I would have really much wanted to delete my Whatsapp account because of that, it is just basically impossible as everyone in social life are communicating through that.

And by knowing since the 90's how difficult it is to get people start using a new applications or new ways to communicate (be it example a newsgroup, IRC, ICQ, MSN, AOL, emails etc) that would eventually lead that everyone are under same method (old praises to those old early multi-protocol IM applications that allowed you to void using multiple IM but just one), the effort is just not worth to even try these mobile days when everyone are in Whatsapp that is tied to your own physical (still) SIM card and not-so-effortless changed phone number (who would want to even go through all the hassle to change phone number?).

And then it stroke to me, how many would be willing to accept using Quest 2 just by using an Whatsapp phone number tied to it?

I was listening a "Google Now" podcast while driving home and there was mentioning that Facebook is trying now to get all different accounts connected to one "Facebook account". Where one co-host was questioning that he thought that was already done so? But if the information is correct, the facebook, whatsapp and some other would be coming as one login.

And while it likely would go bad way that all are requiring a facebook profile, I could have seen a way that you do not need a facebook profile (as in facebook.com) but just your phone number as the account to use Quest 2....

That would be a compromise I could accept, unless Oculus account could be used as is....

I am mainly using VR for DCS World only, it is basically sitting on the VR flight chair permanently even when I could use it for everything else in its large room.

And this is (at least for me) more about making a Facebook account just to get to use DCS World, and it leads eventually that if it would become to that, it is any other VR device with hundreds more costing price tag, full new setup designs (should be inside-out only), instead just clicking few buttons to create a new facebook account.

And this is as well scary that ED has currently only supported Oculus Touch Controllers (AFAIK) as virtual hands inside cockpit, no hand tracking that Quest and Quest 2 supports (yet) and nothing else. And I am not ready to give up that easiness for anything else.

So it is as well up to that what DCS World will have in the future for the virtual hands. If they would support hand detection in Quest 2, I would really much get to buy that one...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I had been considering selling my Quest for a while as I rarely use it unless at a hotel (not common these days) and the FB account requirement was the final straw. I sold it on Ebay a week ago. I still have a Rift S, but it's also going to ebay once I can get a Reverb G2. I do have a FB account and use it occasionally, but I don't post anything of much interest there and certainly don't stream my living room to it.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

how many would be willing to accept using Quest 2 just by using an Whatsapp phone number tied to it?

Not me. I genuinely hate social media (Facebook-Whatsapp-Instagram/Google/Amazon/TikTok/Snapchat/Discord/younameit). Whatsapp is a Facebook app. So no. Not even for a million bucks. And yes, I'm serious.

Only thing I use -sometimes- is Youtube. Without an account of course, and afterwards that cookie gets trashed.

Watch "The social dilemma" and ask yourself why those former CEO's and their families don't use those products.

Edited by dawgie79

There is upcoming change in the Facebook rules that one to use Quest 2 is required to use it through a Facebook account. Previously Facebook and Oculus both promised that it would never happen and players can keep using just standalone Oculus account. And that has upset people, not just here for the DCS World use but everywhere.

I belong to group that has never had Facebook account, never will. But I as well belong to group that has used Whatsapp communication application on phone way before Facebook bought that company. And while I would have really much wanted to delete my Whatsapp account because of that, it is just basically impossible as everyone in social life are communicating through that.

And by knowing since the 90's how difficult it is to get people start using a new applications or new ways to communicate (be it example a newsgroup, IRC, ICQ, MSN, AOL, emails etc) that would eventually lead that everyone are under same method (old praises to those old early multi-protocol IM applications that allowed you to void using multiple IM but just one), the effort is just not worth to even try these mobile days when everyone are in Whatsapp that is tied to your own physical (still) SIM card and not-so-effortless changed phone number (who would want to even go through all the hassle to change phone number?).

And then it stroke to me, how many would be willing to accept using Quest 2 just by using an Whatsapp phone number tied to it?

I was listening a "Google Now" podcast while driving home and there was mentioning that Facebook is trying now to get all different accounts connected to one "Facebook account". Where one co-host was questioning that he thought that was already done so? But if the information is correct, the facebook, whatsapp and some other would be coming as one login.

And while it likely would go bad way that all are requiring a facebook profile, I could have seen a way that you do not need a facebook profile (as in facebook.com) but just your phone number as the account to use Quest 2....

That would be a compromise I could accept, unless Oculus account could be used as is....

I am mainly using VR for DCS World only, it is basically sitting on the VR flight chair permanently even when I could use it for everything else in its large room.

And this is (at least for me) more about making a Facebook account just to get to use DCS World, and it leads eventually that if it would become to that, it is any other VR device with hundreds more costing price tag, full new setup designs (should be inside-out only), instead just clicking few buttons to create a new facebook account.

And this is as well scary that ED has currently only supported Oculus Touch Controllers (AFAIK) as virtual hands inside cockpit, no hand tracking that Quest and Quest 2 supports (yet) and nothing else. And I am not ready to give up that easiness for anything else.

So it is as well up to that what DCS World will have in the future for the virtual hands. If they would support hand detection in Quest 2, I would really much get to buy that one...

Quest currently only has hand tracking while using the Quest stand alone softer.

Connected to PC via Link currently uses the Rift software which does not have hand tracking support currently.

I have a FB account I use for close family and a few friends, I will not tie it in to an Oculus account. I have no intention of using a VR headset as a social experience. I get and understand what Facebook is doing and if it helps grow the VR industry that is fine.

Reverb G2 has been on pre-order and due in Nov.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Definitely an issue for me. I was already extremely (!!!) unhappy with the Oculus Store requirement. Forcing a Facebook account means Oculus products a no buy for me.

I mean where should this end? Buying milk for breakfast requires a dairy customer account that you provide at the register?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Definitely an issue for me. I was already extremely (!!!) unhappy with the Oculus Store requirement. Forcing a Facebook account means Oculus products a no buy for me.

I mean where should this end? Buying milk for breakfast requires a dairy customer account that you provide at the register?

If you buy from AMZN or TARGET or Walmart or REWE any other grocery store with a reward card, then yes. You're already doing that.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The whole privacy issue needs to get far far worse in order for everyone to do something about it. It's not just facebook. Everyone's listening and collecting everything everytime. They will tell you it's safe and they don't use it for anything but that's what they said before Snowden.

Edited by Taz1004

So is there anywhere we can go to see the TERMS of use for the new Oculus Quest before buying?

I am under the impression that if I use the headset tethered to the computer and use it for DCS I wont need to log in to a Facebook account. If I do need to "Log in" what do they have access to? Will it announce on Facebook that I am in DCS flying planes, come Join him posts. (I think of the endless requests for me to join Candy Crush Games from friends - Sorry aunt Deb)

Privacy is a concern. I have already read that the cameras on the headsets can be hacked and people can see inside your house much like the camera on a laptop or security systems. I know that the price point on the new Oculus is so low that your selling something in exchange. Its the "what am i selling" concern before I order something and have to open the box.

To be fair "what are we selling" when buying a Vive, Reverb 2 or Pimax. Are any of those tied to an "Account"

Just a few questions here, I am about to buy my first headset ever and the homework never seems to be done.

By the way Do i need the Steam version of DCS to play in VR? I notice lots of headsets work with Steam.

Thanks

By the way Do i need the Steam version of DCS to play in VR? I notice lots of headsets work with Steam.

Thanks

The standalone version of DCS works with all of the PC-based HMDs for VR. You don't need to buy the Steam version.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Zuckerberg is pretty much Satan soooo, no, I wouldn't have anything to do with his hardware. And no I don't have a Facebook or Instagram account.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hard pass.

I don't mind if others use antisocial media, but I'm not interested. So no fakebook, no whutzup, no instythods, don't need it. And those that do, I feel that in 5 or 10 years, will eventually REALLY regret having let these companies mess with us.

They use SteamVR which is part of the Steam platform to "drive" your headset. You have to have the Steam platform installed to do so but you don't need the Steam version of DCS.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

There's a big difference between Instagram/Whatsapp and Quest 2.

If they ban because, whatever*, in the former you loose your contacts, chats and pictures. The latter, you loose all the money you spent on games in their platform and brick your headset.

*whatever could mean anything they see fit to ban you.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

There's a big difference between Instagram/Whatsapp and Quest 2.

If they ban because, whatever*, in the former you loose your contacts, chats and pictures. The latter, you loose all the money you spent on games in their platform and brick your headset.

*whatever could mean anything they see fit to ban you.

That's the other side of it. I don't post anything particularly controversial anywhere but Facebook/Google/etc are not known for being fair, consistent or even remotely rational when it comes to banning people. Steam does carry a risk too of course, but I've not heard of steam running around banning people on a whim. They seem to be one of our more benign tech overlords. No agenda to push, they just want everyone's money.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

And those that do, I feel that in 5 or 10 years, will eventually REALLY regret having let these companies mess with us.

+1

Well said! :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

If you buy from AMZN or TARGET or Walmart or REWE any other grocery store with a reward card, then yes. You're already doing that.
I don't, as I have the option to decline using a reward card... At least for now. And I would like to keep it that way.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I don't, as I have the option to decline using a reward card... At least for now. And I would like to keep it that way.

If you're married, don't tell that to your wife! :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I abondoned the oculus route a while ago...

I would be tempted to try the quest2 for pc vr....

But I don’t think i will be doing that anytime soon.

About the requirement for Facebook account...one could make just an account without really using it (without uploading photos or personal info). I don’t like that but if the headset is good (for oc vr and flightsims) it could be worth a try.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

If you're married, don't tell that to your wife! :D
My wife doesn't do this either... One reason I love her so much. And she has less pairs of shoes than me...

Shagrat

Why would anyone use Facebook in 2020 for anything anyways? You can have account in FB but just never login. Don't like any posts, don't open links. FB can try to track all they want, but they just don't get any meaningful data. This facebook login scandal is blown out of proportion

I abondoned the oculus route a while ago...

I would be tempted to try the quest2 for pc vr....

But I don’t think i will be doing that anytime soon.

About the requirement for Facebook account...one could make just an account without really using it (without uploading photos or personal info). I don’t like that but if the headset is good (for oc vr and flightsims) it could be worth a try.

If you signed up for it at any point, or even if it came pre-installed on your phone, you ARE "using it". Doesn't matter if you don't share cookie recipies and pictures of the Joanas Brothers... you gave the anti-social media company PERMISSION to:

collect your phone and email contact list

every text you sent or received

all your photos, even the ones you didn't upload to fakecrack

listen to all your calls

listen to everything you say to anyone even when not using your phone

tracks your gps location 24/7/365

build up a massive database about you in detail that you'd never think possible to have such detail on anyone

If you haven't signed on to FB or others, but it's pre-installed on the phone I buy, I'm not even truly sure they don't have some sort of legal loophole to claim some sort of consent. But really, you need to consider it to be a CIA microphone bug that you voluntarily keep close to you at all times. Except... the data is sold to just about anyone that has enough money to buy.

And I've not gone into the manipulation experiments they have been doing. Figuring out ways to better coerce us into doing what THEY want us to do. Like I said in my earlier post, give it 10 years and we'll ALL have a mountain of regret for not stopping such companies... but by then it'll be too late. Might already be too late 5 years ago.

But sure, just "sign in" and don't use it, nothing could possibly go wrong! Coerciing VR users to sign into fakebook, nah, that can't be manipulating... oh wait... :cry:

you guys know these companies are also tracking every purchase you make too? They collect your credit card information, and also check your offline purchases by cross referencing your gps location at a store, how often you go there, with your interests and preferences.

A few years ago, when it got noticed that these companies were listening to conversations between people not using their phones, a lab did a test of typical smart phones' microphones, and found that they could listen to quiet conversations 100ft away (33meters). Like I said, it's a Stasi spy in our pockets. Since then, in noticing the changes in ads presented to me, after conversations I've had hours or days before, I've determined that this is probably true.

Please don't get the idea that I'm only ragging on facecook, all "social media", and likely many other tech companies, are doing this to varying degrees. tictock and that phone company waway got kicked from a few countries for a reason...

This rabbit hole goes DEEP. But sure, it makes it easier to keep in touch, so go wild!

Edited by Rick50

Why would anyone use Facebook in 2020 for anything anyways? You can have account in FB but just never login. Don't like any posts, don't open links. FB can try to track all they want, but they just don't get any meaningful data.

Actually they do.

When you sign, the new policy is to acquire proof of identity such as real phone number or ID card. If you don't give them, many users have reported that their accounts were closes within minutes.

And if you are signed in, *any* site on the web that you visit and that has Facebook share or Facebook connect, even if you never use them, will ping Facebook and associate you name (real name) with your visit. For instance, Facebook knows what product I have seen on Amazon, even if you never post anything on Facebook.

You might not care - I don't. But you should know what creating an account means. If you really want to keep Facebook away from your data, you have to install a plugin that will block Facebook from collective these data.

The solution might come from the law. At least in Europe. Germany has blocked sales of all Oculus products. Facebook forcing cross login for Quest using might be illegal both in respect to GDPR and monopolistic practice. So a few months from now, Facebook might have to roll back on that feature, at least in Europe.

Actually they do.

When you sign, the new policy is to acquire proof of identity such as real phone number or ID card. If you don't give them, many users have reported that their accounts were closes within minutes.

And if you are signed in, *any* site on the web that you visit and that has Facebook share or Facebook connect, even if you never use them, will ping Facebook and associate you name (real name) with your visit. For instance, Facebook knows what product I have seen on Amazon, even if you never post anything on Facebook.

You might not care - I don't. But you should know what creating an account means. If you really want to keep Facebook away from your data, you have to install a plugin that will block Facebook from collective these data.

The solution might come from the law. At least in Europe. Germany has blocked sales of all Oculus products. Facebook forcing cross login for Quest using might be illegal both in respect to GDPR and monopolistic practice. So a few months from now, Facebook might have to roll back on that feature, at least in Europe.

Ok. But ask yourself why they even do that? Only reason for that is to show damn targeted ads in facebook. They are not selling your data to anyone, why would they do that? It's most valuable resource they have.

Either way, compared to what Google does it's just nothing.