No announcement yet.

Opinion requested: Upcoming Facebook account requirement for Quest 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would anyone use Facebook in 2020 for anything anyways? You can have account in FB but just never login. Don't like any posts, don't open links. FB can try to track all they want, but they just don't get any meaningful data. This facebook login scandal is blown out of proportion

Comment

Originally posted by VirusAM View Post
      I abondoned the oculus route a while ago...
      I would be tempted to try the quest2 for pc vr....
      But I don’t think i will be doing that anytime soon.
      About the requirement for Facebook account...one could make just an account without really using it (without uploading photos or personal info). I don’t like that but if the headset is good (for oc vr and flightsims) it could be worth a try.

If you signed up for it at any point, or even if it came pre-installed on your phone, you ARE "using it". Doesn't matter if you don't share cookie recipies and pictures of the Joanas Brothers... you gave the anti-social media company PERMISSION to:

collect your phone and email contact list
      every text you sent or received
      all your photos, even the ones you didn't upload to fakecrack
      listen to all your calls
      listen to everything you say to anyone even when not using your phone
      tracks your gps location 24/7/365
      build up a massive database about you in detail that you'd never think possible to have such detail on anyone

If you haven't signed on to FB or others, but it's pre-installed on the phone I buy, I'm not even truly sure they don't have some sort of legal loophole to claim some sort of consent. But really, you need to consider it to be a CIA microphone bug that you voluntarily keep close to you at all times. Except... the data is sold to just about anyone that has enough money to buy.

And I've not gone into the manipulation experiments they have been doing. Figuring out ways to better coerce us into doing what THEY want us to do. Like I said in my earlier post, give it 10 years and we'll ALL have a mountain of regret for not stopping such companies... but by then it'll be too late. Might already be too late 5 years ago.

But sure, just "sign in" and don't use it, nothing could possibly go wrong! Coerciing VR users to sign into fakebook, nah, that can't be manipulating... oh wait...

Comment

you guys know these companies are also tracking every purchase you make too? They collect your credit card information, and also check your offline purchases by cross referencing your gps location at a store, how often you go there, with your interests and preferences.

A few years ago, when it got noticed that these companies were listening to conversations between people not using their phones, a lab did a test of typical smart phones' microphones, and found that they could listen to quiet conversations 100ft away (33meters). Like I said, it's a Stasi spy in our pockets. Since then, in noticing the changes in ads presented to me, after conversations I've had hours or days before, I've determined that this is probably true.

Please don't get the idea that I'm only ragging on facecook, all "social media", and likely many other tech companies, are doing this to varying degrees. tictock and that phone company waway got kicked from a few countries for a reason...

This rabbit hole goes DEEP. But sure, it makes it easier to keep in touch, so go wild!
        Last edited 10-09-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VitS View Post
          Why would anyone use Facebook in 2020 for anything anyways? You can have account in FB but just never login. Don't like any posts, don't open links. FB can try to track all they want, but they just don't get any meaningful data.
          Actually they do.
          When you sign, the new policy is to acquire proof of identity such as real phone number or ID card. If you don't give them, many users have reported that their accounts were closes within minutes.
          And if you are signed in, *any* site on the web that you visit and that has Facebook share or Facebook connect, even if you never use them, will ping Facebook and associate you name (real name) with your visit. For instance, Facebook knows what product I have seen on Amazon, even if you never post anything on Facebook.
          You might not care - I don't. But you should know what creating an account means. If you really want to keep Facebook away from your data, you have to install a plugin that will block Facebook from collective these data.
          The solution might come from the law. At least in Europe. Germany has blocked sales of all Oculus products. Facebook forcing cross login for Quest using might be illegal both in respect to GDPR and monopolistic practice. So a few months from now, Facebook might have to roll back on that feature, at least in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lictor View Post
            Actually they do.
            When you sign, the new policy is to acquire proof of identity such as real phone number or ID card. If you don't give them, many users have reported that their accounts were closes within minutes.
            And if you are signed in, *any* site on the web that you visit and that has Facebook share or Facebook connect, even if you never use them, will ping Facebook and associate you name (real name) with your visit. For instance, Facebook knows what product I have seen on Amazon, even if you never post anything on Facebook.
            You might not care - I don't. But you should know what creating an account means. If you really want to keep Facebook away from your data, you have to install a plugin that will block Facebook from collective these data.
            The solution might come from the law. At least in Europe. Germany has blocked sales of all Oculus products. Facebook forcing cross login for Quest using might be illegal both in respect to GDPR and monopolistic practice. So a few months from now, Facebook might have to roll back on that feature, at least in Europe.
            Ok. But ask yourself why they even do that? Only reason for that is to show damn targeted ads in facebook. They are not selling your data to anyone, why would they do that? It's most valuable resource they have.
            Either way, compared to what Google does it's just nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lictor View Post
              Actually they do.
              What I don't get is... why people complain about Facebook when everyone including Microsoft, google, and Amazon also does all that? And google is actually far worse than Facebook.

I'm not saying this is not an issue. It is a big issue. And I think it has to get far worse before people actually realize the ramifications of this. Not just Facebook but ALL online companies. Snowden incident obviously has done nothing.

Comment

Facebook is a hard no for me

Comment

While it is true that many companies do harvest data , and some should , since that's how they provide an otherwise "free" service , there is much that is uniquely creepy about Facebook , and i want nothing to do with it .
                  9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Taz1004 View Post
                    What I don't get is... why people complain about Facebook when everyone including Microsoft, google, and Amazon also does all that? And google is actually far worse than Facebook.

I'm not saying this is not an issue. It is a big issue. And I think it has to get far worse before people actually realize the ramifications of this. Not just Facebook but ALL online companies. Snowden incident obviously has done nothing.
                    So far, I haven't seen any evidence of anybody but Facebook making unauthorized entry into my e-mail contact list and use that to connect me to people in that list. That's the thing that sets Facebook apart from the others for me.
                    ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.

Comment

Originally posted by Svsmokey View Post
                      While it is true that many companies do harvest data , and some should , since that's how they provide an otherwise "free" service , there is much that is uniquely creepy about Facebook , and i want nothing to do with it .
                      It's true that Facebook is more upfront about it. YouTube analytics for example is monitoring not only the videos you watch but for how long, where you skipped and repeated, if you've skipped ads or not... to determine whether you'd be interested in related product. Then google maps will cross reference your travel history. Google assistant is listening to everything you say through your phone and also cross reference. Then they'll push those ads to Google affiliated sites which are everyone. All done automatically by their "Deep Learning" AI.
                      Last edited 10-09-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

You haven't seen any evidence, because it's quite well hidden, even though not secret. Also, you are not in the market for the products they sell. YOU are the product. And data about you, is being sold to others, without you getting a cut of the profits... you just benefit from sharing photos and videos of dumb people having accidents at the beach.

This is one of the biggest profit centers right now, and your data is being sold to marketing companies, corporations, political campaigns, foreign governments very curious about how people like you in your country feel about this issue that issue and that foreign govt of the foreign nation. Why? Because your opinion MATTERS TO THEM. Matters a lot. And they want to know what you think, and how you might be persuaded to change your opinion to their benefit.

But gimme muh VR goggles...

Stop and think really very very hard about just why FB wants SO BADLY for you to sign up for FB, and are holding VR hostage until you do... it's less friendly and more stalkery, the more you consider it.

Think about how all the giant tech companies are also actually BUYING your credit card sales data... why might they do that ?

Me personally, if a company wants to sell me VR or AR, ok, I'll buy when I like the performance and pricetag. But if you want to stalk me 24/7/365, then nah brah, I don't want it that bad. Besides, what happens to my ability to use my Fakebook VR gogggles if the govt breaks up FB due to antitrust, privacy violations and such? Do they unlock it? Or do they lock it forever, out of spite for not protecting Bigbruh from Littlegovt ? How about I just buy from someone that just lets me use their hardware product without loggin onto this socialCrackmedia or that?

You'd never want to marry a woman without meeting her parents, without meeting her friends and brothers... but yet you share more than you'd ever share with any woman, with a faceless corporation that's the exact opposite of transparent, who does with information about you, who knows.

Look I'm not trying to get you to stop using social media, I just want you to start thinking about what it is they do with your data, and what they do to you and your friends. I do see that FB and others DO in fact have some beneficial things, like the ability to point out injustices, local used goods for sale market, informing you of this or that interest, bringing families together and such. And I'm also sure they provide even more benefits than I've seen and heard of. But I've also been hearing and reading a LOT about the not so good, the downsides in relationships, and the glimpses of seriously shady goings on.
                        Last edited 10-09-2020, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz1004 View Post
                          It's true that Facebook is more upfront about it. YouTube analytics for example is monitoring not only the videos you watch but for how long, where you skipped and repeated, if you've skipped ads or not... to determine whether you'd be interested in related product. Then google maps will cross reference your travel history. Google assistant will listen for words you say through your phone and also cross reference. Then they'll push those ads to Google affiliated sites which are everyone. All done automatically by their "Deep Learning" AI.
                          Not sure what you mean by "upfront" . Here , that means "open" . Facebook is certainly not upfront by that definition . They have repeatedly been busted for doing something they shouldn't , claiming they had "fixed" the problem , only to be busted 3-6 months later for again doing the exact same thing .

This horse as largely left the barn . These sites have to pay for the services they offer somehow , and as consumers , we prefer the advertising/data-collection model to that of subscriptions .

Still , i find Facebook to be uniquely creepy .
                          9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Svsmokey View Post
                            Not sure what you mean by "upfront" . Here , that means "open" . Facebook is certainly not upfront by that definition . They have repeatedly been busted for doing something they shouldn't , claiming they had "fixed" the problem , only to be busted 3-6 months later for again doing the exact same thing .

This horse as largely left the barn . These sites have to pay for the services they offer somehow , and as consumers , we prefer the advertising/data-collection model to that of subscriptions .

Still , i find Facebook to be uniquely creepy .
                            I meant more intrusive. When a salesman says he's "on commission" he's being upfront about it. I was implying that Facebook is that "upfront" about what their business model is which is collecting personal data. Whereas other companies are more stealthy.

And reason why Snowden case was significant was not "what" they use the data for. NSA said they used it for our safety so it shouldn't matter. But rather what it "could" be used for. Anyone with the access to that information can potentially use it for their personal purpose.
                            Last edited 10-09-2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Nope. I have never seen anybody but Facebook take it upon itself to make contact with those individuals on my behalf, as if it was me who did it. Only Facebook has done that so far, which is why it is one of the many security risks I have chosen to eliminate and not continue making things easy for them. Also, unlike many others, Facebook serves absolutely no useful purpose in my life. The only "social media" I participate in is this forum and one other...and neither one of them know a single thing about me that I haven't expressly allowed them to know. I'm not one of the many who feels that full disclosure is necessary on the internet. So many have the "I have nothing to hide" attitude which is what gets them into trouble.
                              ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.

Comment

As much as I have loved Oculus products and supported them fully, I have no problem at all now walking away from them.
                                Making FB a requirement to use their VR device did not sit well with me.

I sure hope I am well pleased with the Reverb G2.
                                Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                                EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

Face book is simply a huge NO for me.
                                  It was no at the get go and it is no right now.

FB will be worthless within Zuckerbergs life time.

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:
                                  Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.
                                  Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,
                                  DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.
                                  My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.
                                  VR Driver system:
                                  I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue Trooper View Post

FB will be worthless within Zuckerbergs life time.

Nope, I doubt that.

It'll be worthless far sooner than he passes away of old age!

But seriously, I think it's not real clear it will dominate as it does today, in 10 years from now. I'd look to competitors, to future revelations of it's own behavior, possible future laws in many different countries, and changing trends among teenagers, to see it's future. And then there are the politicals of it, but I won't expand on that, as that goes well beyond the topic of flight simulations! If curious, just googl... no wait...just Bingit... hmm, is Netscape and Metacrawler still a thing? And where did I leave my Geocities web link anyway?
                                    Last edited 10-14-2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

To be fair, it does have benefits too: saw a cat outside our back door, it was about -31 degrees Celcius (-23deg F) all that week, when i opened the door, it ran in, past the much larger barking dog, and started rubbing up on my leg, not out of friendliness but to warm up.

My cousin got on FB to see if a cat was missing... just 30 minutes later was reunited with the cat's human pets. Turns out, this cat was missing for A WEEK in that cold weather. Have no idea how it lived.

So as much as I criticize FB, it's hard to argue with reuniting in just 30 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick50 View Post
                                        To be fair, it does have benefits too: saw a cat outside our back door, it was about -31 degrees Celcius (-23deg F) all that week, when i opened the door, it ran in, past the much larger barking dog, and started rubbing up on my leg, not out of friendliness but to warm up.

My cousin got on FB to see if a cat was missing... just 30 minutes later was reunited with the cat's human pets. Turns out, this cat was missing for A WEEK in that cold weather. Have no idea how it lived.

So as much as I criticize FB, it's hard to argue with reuniting in just 30 minutes!
                                        All that would be possible without Facebook requiring you to give them access to more personal and private information, than you would likely share with your doctor or lawyer...
                                        Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
                                        Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 32GB | GeForce RTX 2080S - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs | a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Comment

Ive Read somewhere that the cameras also track and record what ever in the area of its use and makes note of the products the user has in reach of the cameras to target advertising,Now this is my Opinion but I think its just a matter of time we will see forced ad viewing much like youtube and all the rest, before your DCS or whatever is allowed to load and proceed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X