System VR ready?

manne

Hi all, a few years ago I had to quit playing DCS and sold my rudder pedals, track-ir and HOTAS etc. Now I want to go back into the game again, this time including VR. But I'm really wondering if my system specs are capable to run DCS decently in VR. Steam VR check says my system is VR ready (just at the beginning of the green bar in the test). What are your thoughts?

I have Win 10 with:

i5 4670K @ 3.4Ghz

16GB ram (pretty old stuff)

RX470 4GB videocard

SSD's etc

I'm willing to upgrade to a new vid card (but prefer not to), when upgrading I never go for the latest high-end stuff (usually I'm behind 2 or 3 generations).

For VR I'm thinking about getting the Quest 2 with the Link cable to attach to PC, but now completely sure yet if that will be best bang for the buck.

I have Win 10 with:

i5 4670K @ 3.4Ghz

RX470 4GB videocard

SSD's etc

I'm willing to upgrade to a new vid card (but prefer not to), when upgrading I never go for the latest high-end stuff (usually I'm behind 2 or 3 generations).

I understand that you would like not to upgrade if you can avoid it.

DCS is still more or less using only one core for the main thread.

I dont know much about the radeon cards, but I guess you actually ”need” to upgrade the GPU.

There should be a lot of used good cards on the market now when the new series of RTX is coming. From memory, Radeon wasnt really that good for VR compared to Nvidia...?

For the other hardware stuff;

- The 4670K is more than capable of your needs. It will force you to overclock it, you would need to hit at least 4.5Ghz, preferebly 4.7 or more.

Done this with my sons 4670K, no probs.

It is good for VR. Period.

16Gb is good enough, prefereble 32Gb for complex missions but you can live with 16. No problems. My sons had 24Gb 1666mhz and after some tests we actually downsized to 16Gb, my old memories that is 2133, if I recall it. We did get better performance with faster but less.

You would probably count with the need for a new GPU, course slide shows isnt fun. Maybe, if your computer was a mid level you might need a new PSU depending on what GPU you find.

Also, depending on the CPU cooler quality, you might need a new with head room for overclocking.

So it should be possible to get around the problem with not that much costs and still be able to do VR. Some minor lower graphic settings might be needed depending if you hit 4.5 or 4.8Ghz.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Steam VR check says my system is VR ready (just at the beginning of the green bar in the test). What are your thoughts?

RX470 4GB videocard

You need to upgrade you graphics card

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hi all, a few years ago I had to quit playing DCS and sold my rudder pedals, track-ir and HOTAS etc. Now I want to go back into the game again, this time including VR. But I'm really wondering if my system specs are capable to run DCS decently in VR. Steam VR check says my system is VR ready (just at the beginning of the green bar in the test). What are your thoughts?

I have Win 10 with:

i5 4670K @ 3.4Ghz

RX470 4GB videocard

SSD's etc

For VR I'm thinking about getting the Quest 2 with the Link cable to attach to PC, but now completely sure yet if that will be best bang for the buck.

My suggestion to you: You desperately need a full system upgrade. If you're smart, starting today you can start getting the items with very good discounts.

Start looking for either a second-hand or new B450 tomahawks motherboard and don't waste a good bargain. As the most popular msi b450 motherboard, it will definitely have the optional firmware upgrade to support new zen 3 processors.

https://www.cclonline.com/search/?q=b450+tomahawk

Then get the new zen 3 CPU, the equivalent of the current zen 2 r5 3600 with some 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram and I assure you that you'll be future proof for at least the next 4 years. You can also get a r5 3600 now, like mine, and you will be good for sometime while still having the possibility to upgrade to zen 3 whenever you feel the time is right. Make sure to keep the original cpu fan stored in the original box for when you're ready to put it for sale on ebay.

In the meantime wait until the smoke clears out and all the bots and all the obsessive consumerists that camp in front of "apple" stores (nvidia resellers in this case) get their new next gen gpus and start looking for second-hand bargain previous generations GPUs, like a 5700xt, a 2070 super, or even 2080s.

This way, you can get a very capable system, for a fraction of the full price. Me, I'm like you. I'm not the one who will spend thousands for fresh new gadgets. Instead I look for value-for-money bargains. I got my 1070ti for £120 + my b450 + r5 3600 + 16gb ddr4 ram* for less than £370! (new and shipped!) That's a less than £500 system, VR ready. I can play most VR games, in my CV1, at 90fps in mid-low, and dcs in mid-low at smooth 45fps in the syria map. My next upgrade will either be a next gen amd gpu or a previous gen rtx while keeping my CV1 until they force me to log in via facebook.

*Recently upgraded to 32gb by stepping onto a bargain ram sale!

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Thanks all for your input so far.

In regards to overclocking, I got a good Gelid Solutions Tranquillo (Rev. 2) cooler, so it should be capable to do that I think. However, when I bought the CPU I tried experimenting with overclocking and got a lot of problems as it's not my expertise, so didn't want to risk it, and threw the towel into the ring (as it wasn't needed at that time either).

I've got a Seasonic Bronze 520W power supply, I'll have to look up modern power requirements of GPU's, but back in the day it was more than capable. But times change of course :)

I'll definitely will research a bit on what budget I'd need if I would build a new PC from scratch (be it new or second hand).

Edited by manne

Then get the new zen 3 CPU, the equivalent of the current zen 2 r5 3600 with some 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram and I assure you that you'll be

@Manne: Dont let anyone fool you to get a CPU that is not capable of at least 5.0Ghz if paying for other hardware. And for all its worth, dont upgrade to antything less capable when it comes to clock freq.

Your 4670K can do at least 4.5Ghz and as DCS is like it is, DCS CPU performance is more or less all about clock frequency.

That said; I dunno much about AMD.

[Edit] Single core performance from a ryzen 5 3600 is only about pair with the 4670K.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

In regards to overclocking, I got a good Gelid Solutions Tranquillo (Rev. 2) cooler, so it should be capable to do that I think. However, when I bought the CPU I tried experimenting with overclocking and got a lot of problems as it's not my expertise, so didn't want to risk it, and threw the towel into the ring (as it wasn't needed at that time either).

I've got a Seasonic Bronze 520W power supply, I'll have to look up modern power requirements of GPU's, but back in the day it was more than capable. But times change of course :)

I'll definitely will research a bit on what budget I'd need if I would build a new PC from scratch (be it new or second hand).

OC is not hard. New to it = check youtube and also read a little. My overclock of my sons took 5 min but then I done this since 1995. Put 10hours including youtube and reading= done.

If money is an object, every hour spent on this is worth a lot of money, as you can make your 4670K perform like more expensive CPUs. You cannot reach values like my 9900KS@5.2 but also, you avoid using up 5-600usd on the CPU alone. Or, build a new/ used. But dont fall into the trap getting a CPU with to low single core performance.

@Manne: Dont let anyone fool you to get a CPU that is not capable of at least 5.0Ghz if paying for other hardware. And for all its worth, dont upgrade to antything less capable when it comes to clock freq.

Your 4670K can do at least 4.5Ghz and as DCS is like it is, DCS CPU performance is more or less all about clock frequency.

That said; I dunno much about AMD.

[Edit] Single core performance from a ryzen 5 3600 is only about pair with the 4670K.

:doh:

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

:doh:

Ryzen 3 3300X only gives 8% more single core performance to a OC 4.5ghz 4670K

at 4.7 the difference is even smaller.(comparing non OC zen 3 to OC 4670K)

This to show OP that overclock of current hardware can be a alternative to spending $, or €, which I understand might be the OP wish if possible.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3300X/1538vs4076

Ryzen 3 3300X only gives 8% more single core performance to a OC 4.5ghz 4670K

at 4.7 the difference is even smaller.(comparing non OC zen 3 to OC 4670K)

This to show OP that overclock of current hardware can be a alternative to spending $, or €, which I understand might be the OP wish if possible.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3300X/1538vs4076

How about some real world benchmarks? Do you care for that?

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Of course. Its not me you should help, its op.

Dont take my former post as a ill ment hit for you, it was ment as a help for op not to get a CPU that doesnt perform as much better as the money spent, in the eyes of the op.

Go ahead! :thumbup:

Of course. Its not me you should help, its op.

Dont take my former post as a ill ment hit for you, it was ment as a help for op not to get a CPU that doesnt perform as much better as the money spent, in the eyes of the op.

Go ahead! :thumbup:

I'm sorry, but I'm still waiting for your real world benchmarks that validates that your stated synthetic 8% spec performance increase R5 3600 vs 4670k translates to actual DCS only 8% performance increase. You said I'm trying to fool OP, then prove me wrong.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I'm sorry, but I'm still waiting for your real world benchmarks that validates that your stated synthetic 8% spec performance increase R5 3600 vs 4670k translates to actual DCS only 8% performance increase. You said I'm trying to fool OP, then prove me wrong.

Dont wait for me on this. It not my job to convince op you have the best option for him.

Im still saying he should be able to use the current H/W but a better GPU and maybe a new PSU.

Also saying, if upgrading, be sure to get a CPU with at least a lot better single core performance than the current would give ocerclocked.

Im not saying he should upgrade exactly like my 9900KS@5.2, also not pay for a RTX3090 like I just did. He could. It would be a very potent DCS machine, but also very expensive.

Why would a higher clocked cpu be needed? Is this VR related or DCS related in general? I was thinking the gpu would be the most important, with the higher screen resolution needed for two VR viewpoints. I’d expect the CPU requirements would be the same, or is this because the minimum FPS in VR must be relatively high, thus the CPU is more important so it doesn’t dip below the required minimum FPS?

There are two aspects for performance in vr, GPU frametime and CPU frametime. The GPU *is* very important but the total frame rate is limited by the highest of the CPU or GPU frametime. If the cpu frame time is 16ms and the gpu is 20ms you will be limited by the gpu, of course with the gpu you can use motion vectoring or asw to improve the perceived smoothness of the erratic frame rate of the gpu..if you upgrade the graphics card and get gpu frametime of 12, you will still be limited by your cpu in this example, you can improve your cpu frametimes by over clocking the cpu and or by upgrading the cpu.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Why would a higher clocked cpu be needed? Is this VR related or DCS related in general?

Its because DCS game engine isnt good at using your CPU total performane.

It doesnt matter how many cores your CPU has - DCS vill more or less only use one core really hard instead of splitting the needed cpu power on more or all cores.

In fact, it looks like DCS uses three cores/threads but two isnt stressed at all and one is very stressed.

If you look at the total CPU usage in total it might look like 60%( or 13 down to 7% with a high end CPU) but if you look in the details( windows resource manager for example) you can see the load on each processor thread and you will find one core with high load and all others sleeping.

When/if you reach 100% on that core your CPU causes stutter because it can not produce the work needed for each frame. Still, the total CPU load is low. DCS can not use any more of the available CPU power.

The need for single core clock is around 4.5Ghz with dcs graphic settings tuned down to compensate for a slower CPU. If you get a higher clock you can increase some settings.

Even the fastest CPU with 5.2 to 5.4 ghz can not do all settings maxed, so settings will need to be a compromize. Yes, you want a high CPU clock for DCS!

[Edit]link to a older post from me. Look at the two lower pictures on the left side. “CPU core” no 15 close to 100% despite 5.2/5.1Ghz, and this in a instant action that does not set the CPU need very high.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4230368&postcount=44

Edited by Gunnars Driver

Why would a higher clocked cpu be needed? Is this VR related or DCS related in general? I was thinking the gpu would be the most important, with the higher screen resolution needed for two VR viewpoints. I’d expect the CPU requirements would be the same, or is this because the minimum FPS in VR must be relatively high, thus the CPU is more important so it doesn’t dip below the required minimum FPS?

The reason is because ED failed to keep the core game engine updated to new technologies, like multi-cored cpus, so the game uses basically one or two cores only for everything. The game is not at all optimized for VR, so in theory, higher cpu single core frequency equals higher performance. On the other hand, to base one's assumption on that alone is short-sighted, because it doesn't take into account, for example, higher ram speeds that can only be achieved in modern systems (motherboard+cpu+ram), among other things that contributes to performance other than cpu frequency alone.

By the way, what's your motherboard model?

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

If you like to show the performance of the Ryzen single core you cold use this benchmark and present the results in this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=287061

Need fpsvr to do. It shows how a CPU can handle DCS(mainly the single core performance)DCS.

Also post the DCS settings, and what VR set you use.

The CPU draws the scenes and objects, the graphics card renders them. Compared to typical games, DCS draws vastly more objects with greater draw distances. So even in 2D many situations with lots of objects like a city will limit your performance to being governed by your CPU. In VR every scene needs to be drawn twice, once for each eye. Add to this load on the CPU from flight modeling, AI etc and the fact that all this is on a single CPU thread. GPU-limited situations will be those without many other objects to draw or less other aircraft AI etc.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. I just saw I bought it in 2013, so pretty old stuff :music_whistling:

I upgraded my computer last cristmas, not because it needed to but because I had the money and has the technical interrest.

What I had was an i7 3770K. Bought early 2013. Thats the precursor of your 4XX0K. Mine was an i7 but for DCS that part isnt important as there is no need for many threads(remember, DCS only use a couple of threads).

I got into VR 2016 when Oculus rift came up. Only changed the GPU to a VR-ready one(GTX1080) and then it worked fine with DCS. No problems.

Your 4670K can be overclocked and used if you would like to. Its your decision, to OC or to get new hardware. Buying new hardware that really make a big difference in the CPU case comes with a cost, compared to a overclocked 4670K. If overclocking is not an option then you should get new hardware.

@stormridersp my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. I just saw I bought it in 2013, so pretty old stuff :music_whistling:

Also, I’m only playing helicopters in DCS (Black Shark, Huey).

Thank you, that's what I thought. The main reason why I upgraded mine was because I couldn't find a Z97*. The Z87-G45 and my old 4770k was very good despite being only DDR3; the main problem was that it didnt support native SSD m2 nvme booting. You can hack it if you have the skills, I don't. That alone was reason enough for me to think upgrade, even if, when I did, I was poor living below the poverty line.

*I actually did. I bought one on ebay for about the same price I paid on my B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC(new), except it was used and when I received it, I immediately sent it back because some of the socket pins were bent. Gladly I had paid it via paypal, which guaranteed I could have my money back.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

. The Z87-G45 and my old 4770k was very good despite being only DDR3; the main problem was that it didnt support native SSD m2 nvme booting. You can hack it if you have the skills, I don't. That alone was reason enough for me to think upgrade

I had the skills, so I modded my motherboard BIOS with drivers for nvme and put a m2 stick in(via a m2 raiser card) a couple of years back. It didnt change anything during DCS gaming but it sure made the mission etc load faster. So from a performance view, its not really a absolute needed.