Quest 2 Reveal

dburne

Powered with a new Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 Processor

Edit: Also https://www.facebookblueprint.com/student/catalog/list?category_ids=6107-oculus-demo-experiences

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

And another promotional vid on Quest 2, and Link is mentioned in this one.

I wonder how well Link will run with the new higher resolution display...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Near-Reverb resolution plus the standalone capability make this a very interesting headset indeed !

And the OP previously noted in another post that the link functionality actually works well in DCS with the original Quest .

Oh , and the link runs off a usb port , so no need for a graphics card ?

Let's see . $1300-1500 ( or more ) for a G2 and a 3080 , vs $400 for the highest version Quest .

Very , very interesting .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I watched this a few minutes ago:

I'm amazed. But I do wonder still how the IPD will be adjusted as the original slider is gone, but it has something that seemingly can be switched to 2 positions inside between the lenses as per the first leaks. And I don't know if it's going to be LCD or OLED at the moment, might have missed some info here though. It's definately going to be an exciting thing in the ring anyway. I guess the USB interface will allow for at least 10GBit/s or hopefully even 20, so the link will be awesome as well. Now the question is, how much bandwidth will there be on WiFi? Will definately need more than just 866MBit/s to stay up with the old Quest without losing quality due to compression.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Guess it does require a graphics card for Link usage...

https://uploadvr.com/set-oculus-link-resolution/

Still very interesting . Would love to see the wife freak out in standalone easy-to-use VR , while I have the option to use Link with DCS .

Half the price (+-) of a G2 as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Near-Reverb resolution plus the standalone capability make this a very interesting headset indeed !

And the OP previously noted in another post that the link functionality actually works well in DCS with the original Quest .

Oh , and the link runs off a usb port , so no need for a graphics card ?

Let's see . $1300-1500 ( or more ) for a G2 and a 3080 , vs $400 for the highest version Quest .

Very , very interesting .

Hmmm, very interesting indeed. I was just about to order a G2 and a 3080. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see how the Quest 2 turns out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use a Quest with link and its pretty good. A touch more resolution would be nice. It would also be good if Oculus would do their own wireless tethering like Virtual Desktop that would work in DCS. The best thing about Quest, and the only reason I could justify getting one, was the ability for the family to use it as a freestanding headset, while I get it for PCVR, and for that it is amazing. I had also been thinking about a G2 for the extra res, but if Quest 2 is as good as it appears that might be a better option.

and the winner is still HP-REVERB G2

No way I am gonna buy a vr headset which requires mandatory facebook account with non-stop popup adds while playing!!

Can you immagine playing DCS and having those annoying adds every few minutes?? :|

check out the MRTV youtube channel, Sebastian explained this very well.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

and the winner is still HP-REVERB G2

No way I am gonna buy a vr headset which requires mandatory facebook account with non-stop popup adds while playing!!

Can you immagine playing DCS and having those annoying adds every few minutes?? :|

check out the MRTV youtube channel, Sebastian explained this very well.

Agreed . My interest lasted until i heard just how much personal info is required , that FB can kill your headset if you enter any dummy info and the aforementioned ads . Back to the G2 plan !

FB may as well use "black mirror" lenses going forward .

I highly, highly doubt that. They would do that on free Oculus games like they do on free smart phone games but will never do that on paid games let alone 3rd party PC games. Their business model of collecting data fails if people are annoyed enough to NOT use it.

I actually support Facebook for pushing VR to the mass. I originally backed Oculus Kickstarter because Palmer Luckey said he can bring VR to the mass at less than $300. He couldn't deliver and original Oculus was $600. They actually refunded money to original backers. Now Facebook is making that reality.

You need mandatory Steam account for SteamVR. Steam collect your browsing history and suggest games based on it. How is that different than Facebook if you don't use it for socializing and only for games?

And people are less worried about Google, Siri, and Alexa always listening to everything... Those assistants has to always listen in order to recognize "Okay Google" when it's spoken.

Edited by Taz1004

Yep very glad I have the Reverb G2 on Pre-Order.

With Facebook basically the Quest 2 is not the product, we are the product with all the data they are collecting and selling on us.

Love my Rift S, but there will be no more Rifts it would seem. This is where I will finally part ways with Oculus.

Don B

For those of us who are already on Facebook and or are more relaxed about it. This thing represents good value price wise here in Australia, and competition is good. I'm just wondering how good it will be with DCS? Will there be a perceptible difference vs the G2 or other more expensive headsets? I gues we won't know until somebody gets one.

Agreed . My interest lasted until i heard just how much personal info is required , that FB can kill your headset if you enter any dummy info and the aforementioned ads . Back to the G2 plan !

FB may as well use "black mirror" lenses going forward .

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is the first I realised that a facebook account was required and they reserve the right to kill the device if you don't give real data! (Not that I looked into it much yet - but you've just saved me a whole lot of time comparing specs and a whole lot of other stuff right there). No need to care what it does now. Reverb FTW!

About the only benefit I see getting out of this is increased competition driving better VR in the future.

Domestic Government - we want you to install this contract tracking app for COVID.

The people: We're concerned about privacy! Tell us more about what is and isn't done with data.

International Company : We want all your personal data. Our T&C are...

The People: Shut up and take my cash! I Agree to all your T&C that I've never read and don't care what you do with my personal info - Oh, and all my personal details are....

Yet here I am wondering - if the quest is so much cheaper, subsidised by the information facebook sells - who is buying that information and why is it worth so much $'s to them?!?

:blink:

Edited by Adam

For those of us who are already on Facebook and or are more relaxed about it. This thing represents good value price wise here in Australia, and competition is good. I'm just wondering how good it will be with DCS? Will there be a perceptible difference vs the G2 or other more expensive headsets? I gues we won't know until somebody gets one.

Fiber USB-C Link cable they offer is more than capable for 4K so that is not the concern for me. But it will initially have bad reviews due to refresh rate. And I wont be buying it until 90hz is available and reviewed.

As I was planed to take Quest 2 as the secondary VR headset. G2 is still my No1 option for PC VR games especially sims.

With quest I'm interested for casual WiFi usage when will be ready and some casual VR gameplay like Half Life Alyx or similar titles, even Onward goes in that category.

In DCS or other sims G2 still got advantages but Quest is still good budget entry level even better now than some more expensive competitors.

I am sure Quest 2 will be decent, and also I know just from my testing Link with the original Quest it will also serve as a pretty decent PC-VR headset via Link.

I just am not willing to tie a Face Book account in with it and have them sell off all my data generated using the Quest 2 at this time. And I have zero interest in Horizons or using any social aspect of the headset.

PC-VR for gaming is my main focus and I don't see Quest 2 as being for me in that department.

Don B

I know facebook doesn't literally "sell" data but they do targeted marketing which is basically same thing. But that's same with everyone. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Steam... they all do targeted marketing. I'm wondering why facebook gets the stick more than everyone else. I had facebook account since it started but rarely used it unless some games required it. And never got any ads related to it. But as soon as I search for power tools on YouTube, I get power tool ads appear on my Amazon page.

And according to the documents leaked by Snowden, Google, Yahoo, and MS accounted for 98% of privacy data leaked to NSA.

And the analytics on YouTube. Most people think it's for content creators to analyze viewing trend but it's for YouTube to analyze your viewing pattern and determine whether you are really interested in a product or not.

Again, I was just wondering. I of course can't influence anyone's comfort level with any of these companies.

Edited by Taz1004

I know facebook doesn't literally "sell" data but they do targeted marketing which is basically same thing. But that's same with everyone. Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Steam... they all do targeted marketing. I'm wondering why facebook gets the stick more than everyone else. I had facebook account since it started but rarely used it unless some games required it. And never got any ads related to it. But as soon as I search for power tools on YouTube, I get power tool ads appear on my Amazon page.

And according to the documents leaked by Snowden, Google, Yahoo, and MS accounted for 98% of privacy data leaked to NSA.

And the analytics on YouTube. Most people think it's for content creators to analyze viewing trend but it's for YouTube to analyze your viewing pattern and determine whether you are really interested in a product or not.

Again, I was just wondering. I of course can't influence anyone's comfort level with any of these companies.

Nicely put into perspective :) Do folks use Windows? Do they own a smart phone?...'nuff said!

I ordered the Quest 2 10 minutes after it was released. Should be fun to try wireless VR and with the Link cable at 90Hz it will be a nice upgrade from my Rift s. Hell, 90% increase in resolution at that price. An offer i couldn't refuse :thumbup:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Looking at the specs alone it does seem like a great consumer headset. At that price, they have to be selling it at or below the actual cost.

Regarding data leak to the government, like any spying business, it is not evil unless you get caught :)

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I don't like the idea of compressed PCVR over a cable. I'd accept the loss for a robust wireless solution, but not a cable. Don't like the FB stuff either. I have an account, but I don't want it linked to anything. I just use it for messenger basically, and all my info on there is fake.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV