Clear All

Quest 2 Reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Powered with a new Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 Processor

Edit: Also https://www.facebookblueprint.com/st...mo-experiences
    Last edited 09-14-2020, 11:55 AM.
    Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

And another promotional vid on Quest 2, and Link is mentioned in this one.
    I wonder how well Link will run with the new higher resolution display...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ82TqGhHdc
    Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

Facebook is really throwing down the gauntlet.

Comment

Near-Reverb resolution plus the standalone capability make this a very interesting headset indeed !
        And the OP previously noted in another post that the link functionality actually works well in DCS with the original Quest .
        Oh , and the link runs off a usb port , so no need for a graphics card ?
        Let's see . $1300-1500 ( or more ) for a G2 and a 3080 , vs $400 for the highest version Quest .
        Very , very interesting .
        Last edited 09-14-2020, 05:46 PM.
        9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Comment

I watched this a few minutes ago:

I'm amazed. But I do wonder still how the IPD will be adjusted as the original slider is gone, but it has something that seemingly can be switched to 2 positions inside between the lenses as per the first leaks. And I don't know if it's going to be LCD or OLED at the moment, might have missed some info here though. It's definately going to be an exciting thing in the ring anyway. I guess the USB interface will allow for at least 10GBit/s or hopefully even 20, so the link will be awesome as well. Now the question is, how much bandwidth will there be on WiFi? Will definately need more than just 866MBit/s to stay up with the old Quest without losing quality due to compression.

Comment

Guess it does require a graphics card for Link usage...
            https://uploadvr.com/set-oculus-link-resolution/

Still very interesting . Would love to see the wife freak out in standalone easy-to-use VR , while I have the option to use Link with DCS .
            Half the price (+-) of a G2 as well .
            9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , EVGA 1070 FE , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Comment

wondering about IPD adjustment
              i5-9600K@4.8GHz z390 Aorus Pro 32Gb DDR4 1080ti Rift CV1 Warthog on Virpil base

Comment

let's hope it will get one: https://www.androidcentral.com/will-...cal-ipd-slider
                i5-9600K@4.8GHz z390 Aorus Pro 32Gb DDR4 1080ti Rift CV1 Warthog on Virpil base

Comment

Originally posted by Svsmokey View Post
                  Near-Reverb resolution plus the standalone capability make this a very interesting headset indeed !
                  And the OP previously noted in another post that the link functionality actually works well in DCS with the original Quest .
                  Oh , and the link runs off a usb port , so no need for a graphics card ?
                  Let's see . $1300-1500 ( or more ) for a G2 and a 3080 , vs $400 for the highest version Quest .
                  Very , very interesting .
                  Hmmm, very interesting indeed. I was just about to order a G2 and a 3080. Maybe I'll wait a bit and see how the Quest 2 turns out.
                  sigpic

Comment

I use a Quest with link and its pretty good. A touch more resolution would be nice. It would also be good if Oculus would do their own wireless tethering like Virtual Desktop that would work in DCS. The best thing about Quest, and the only reason I could justify getting one, was the ability for the family to use it as a freestanding headset, while I get it for PCVR, and for that it is amazing. I had also been thinking about a G2 for the extra res, but if Quest 2 is as good as it appears that might be a better option.

Comment

and the winner is still HP-REVERB G2

No way I am gonna buy a vr headset which requires mandatory facebook account with non-stop popup adds while playing!!

Can you immagine playing DCS and having those annoying adds every few minutes?? :|

check out the MRTV youtube channel, Sebastian explained this very well.
                      • CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Comment

Originally posted by Goa View Post
                        and the winner is still HP-REVERB G2

No way I am gonna buy a vr headset which requires mandatory facebook account with non-stop popup adds while playing!!

Can you immagine playing DCS and having those annoying adds every few minutes?? :|

check out the MRTV youtube channel, Sebastian explained this very well.
                        Agreed . My interest lasted until i heard just how much personal info is required , that FB can kill your headset if you enter any dummy info and the aforementioned ads . Back to the G2 plan !

FB may as well use "black mirror" lenses going forward .

"Hold my beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Goa View Post
                          I highly, highly doubt that. They would do that on free Oculus games like they do on free smart phone games but will never do that on paid games let alone 3rd party PC games. Their business model of collecting data fails if people are annoyed enough to NOT use it.

I actually support Facebook for pushing VR to the mass. I originally backed Oculus Kickstarter because Palmer Luckey said he can bring VR to the mass at less than $300. He couldn't deliver and original Oculus was $600. They actually refunded money to original backers. Now Facebook is making that reality.

You need mandatory Steam account for SteamVR. Steam collect your browsing history and suggest games based on it. How is that different than Facebook if you don't use it for socializing and only for games?

And people are less worried about Google, Siri, and Alexa always listening to everything... Those assistants has to always listen in order to recognize "Okay Google" when it's spoken.
                          Last edited 09-16-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I watched that keynote in Venues, but for those who haven't, here's a livesteam recording from Mike:

And a short review since he's been using the thing already for some weeks:

Comment

As I have already committed to the Reverb G2, I hope it works as well as I expect. The refusal of Facebook/Oculus to support PC VR as best as possible guarantees I won't buy another one of their headsets despite having overall good experiences with both the CV1 and Rift S.
                              sigpic

Comment

Fakebook, no way in hell.
                                Pentium II 366Mhz - 1GB 266 DDR Ram - GeForce 2 GTS - Seagate Cheetah X15 36GB - Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro - Forte VFX1

TF-51D - SU-25T - Caucasus

Comment

Yep very glad I have the Reverb G2 on Pre-Order.

With Facebook basically the Quest 2 is not the product, we are the product with all the data they are collecting and selling on us.

Love my Rift S, but there will be no more Rifts it would seem. This is where I will finally part ways with Oculus.
                                  Don B

Comment

For those of us who are already on Facebook and or are more relaxed about it. This thing represents good value price wise here in Australia, and competition is good. I'm just wondering how good it will be with DCS? Will there be a perceptible difference vs the G2 or other more expensive headsets? I gues we won't know until somebody gets one.

Comment

Originally posted by Svsmokey View Post
                                      Agreed . My interest lasted until i heard just how much personal info is required , that FB can kill your headset if you enter any dummy info and the aforementioned ads . Back to the G2 plan !

FB may as well use "black mirror" lenses going forward .
                                      Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is the first I realised that a facebook account was required and they reserve the right to kill the device if you don't give real data! (Not that I looked into it much yet - but you've just saved me a whole lot of time comparing specs and a whole lot of other stuff right there). No need to care what it does now. Reverb FTW!

About the only benefit I see getting out of this is increased competition driving better VR in the future.
                                      Domestic Government - we want you to install this contract tracking app for COVID.

The people: We're concerned about privacy! Tell us more about what is and isn't done with data.

International Company : We want all your personal data. Our T&C are...

The People: Shut up and take my cash! I Agree to all your T&C that I've never read and don't care what you do with my personal info - Oh, and all my personal details are....

Yet here I am wondering - if the quest is so much cheaper, subsidised by the information facebook sells - who is buying that information and why is it worth so much $'s to them?!?

Last edited 09-17-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dugite57 View Post
                                        For those of us who are already on Facebook and or are more relaxed about it. This thing represents good value price wise here in Australia, and competition is good. I'm just wondering how good it will be with DCS? Will there be a perceptible difference vs the G2 or other more expensive headsets? I gues we won't know until somebody gets one.
                                        Fiber USB-C Link cable they offer is more than capable for 4K so that is not the concern for me. But it will initially have bad reviews due to refresh rate. And I wont be buying it until 90hz is available and reviewed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X