Virpil extension cable connecting really badly to TM WH base

sirrah

Recently purchased a 10mm Warthog extension from Virpil and today it was finally delivered :cheer3nc:

but...

The extension cable that came with it, makes extremely poor connection to my Warthog base :(

When I plug it in, I hardly feel any resistance and the plug very easily falls out again if I'm not extremely cautious...

I haven't been able to screw on the actual extension, without accidentally unplugging the base connector in the process..

To check if the cable isn't broken, I tried connecting the cable without the metal extension. I actually had to hold down the connector to have it make proper contact. As soon as I let go of the connector, my control inputs (in DCS control settings) went crazy. :joystick:

Is this a common issue with these extensions, or am I just "lucky"

Any ideas on how to fix it, before I try and get in contact with Virpil?

Can't say I'm at all satisfied with this product so far... :mad:

I was so hoping to enjoy DCS this evening with my "new" stick..

Oh, btw, the connector on the grip side, is slightly better (also feels pretty loose, but doesn't fall out)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Is the barrel too wide? Perhaps gently squeezing the barrel connector to tighten it will help.

Could you elaborate this a bit further please?

What do you mean by squeezing the barrel connector?

Maybe a thin layer of tape to act as a shim to hold it in place?

I was thinking of this myself. A bit of a bungle way to try and fix this... but hey.. if it works..

So, anyone else have this extension and can you verify that this connector has very loose fit? Or should I ask Virpil for a replacement cable?

Edit:

Sorry for my OP "rant". Frustration was up to a certain level and I should have counted to ten before posting and just contact Virpil first... I guess I was just searching for acknowledgement :P

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Can confirm this. I got all of the Virpil extensions ( 50, 75. 100 and 200mm) and only the 200mm S-type extension makes a good connection to the WH base. IMO The stiff connector of the 50mm base is even worse than the cables of the 75 and 100mm tubes. I got the 50mm extension connected to the WH base, followed by the 100mm and the 200mm s-type and Hornet grip on top of this combo. The poor connection is related to the WH base connector, as the extension cables make a good connection to each other. I sometimes have to take my center stick apart and replug the extensions/cables because the connector of the 50mm extension gets loose and then my Hornet grip starts ghosting (selects AIM-7 constantly). That's pretty much annoying, so any reasonable solution for this issue is highly appreciated.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Can confirm this. I got all of the Virpil extensions ( 50, 75. 100 and 200mm) and only the 200mm S-type extension makes a good connection to the WH base. IMO The stiff connector of the 50mm base is even worse than the cables of the 75 and 100mm tubes. I got the 50mm extension connected to the WH base, followed by the 100mm and the 200mm s-type and Hornet grip on top of this combo. The poor connection is related to the WH base connector, as the extension cables make a good connection to each other. I sometimes have to take my center stick apart and replug the extensions/cables because the connector of the 50mm extension gets loose and then my Hornet grip starts ghosting (selects AIM-7 constantly). That's pretty much annoying, so any reasonable solution for this issue is highly appreciated.

I submitted a ticket for this at Virpil.

But reading your post is rather concerning, as this indicates it would probably not help to have Virpil sent me a replacement cable :noexpression:

Strange that nothing can be found about this issue, whilst so many people use these extensions and, apparently, I'm not the only one having this problem.

System specs:

But reading your post is rather concerning, as this indicates it would probably not help to have Virpil sent me a replacement cable :noexpression:

Strange that nothing can be found about this issue, whilst so many people use these extensions and, apparently, I'm not the only one having this problem.

that's because proably 80% of those purchaasing virpil extensions use them with their base ,as I do indeed, and so far no problems with my cm2 base + 100mm extension + f18 grip.

just throw away that warthdog base and buy a warbrd one :megalol::)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

that's because proably 80% of those purchaasing virpil extensions use them with their base ,as I do indeed, and so far no problems with my cm2 base + 100mm extension + f18 grip.

just throw away that warthdog base and buy a warbrd one :megalol::)

Still.. If it's a known issue with the TM WH base, it would be honestly to mention that on the Virpil website. At the moment the product I received is not compatible with the TM WH, as it is not functioning at all. Hopefully I can get it fixed, but I'm not sure yet..

System specs:

I own all of the virpil extensions and have tried them all on both my warbrd (lol) and CM2 bases, neither had a problem with the extensions cables staying attached

From experience many many years ago with dealing with loose PS2 connections on PCs between the PC and the PS2 cable keyboard,

it is possible to VERY carefully deform the outer round shield very very slightly with thin nosed pliers,

this will give you a snug connector on a worn or poorly manufactured female connector

Edited by HC_Official

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Propably not, i'd assume the replacement cable will have the same issue. The problem also exists vice versa. I use a warBRD base as sidestick with the Warthog grip and the grip has a very loose connection to the base until it's screwed down, so i guess it's not a bad manufactured cable but Virpil using connectors that have a slightly different size to the ones TM uses. 1/10 mm isn't much, but already makes a difference for plugs of that size. On the WH base i could take my hands off the grip before tighten it down without beeing afraid it would fall off to the side. To me, HC_Officials/Svgamers suggestion sounds like the most reasonable solution if done carefully, rather than working with hot glue or similar. I think i'll give that a try when disassembling my stick next time...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

• 3 months later...

I have just recieved the Virpil 100mm extenstion for my Warthog base, and have the exact same problem. My axis works fine, but buttons/hats etc. is all messed up / not working.

Is there any solution ??? On the Virpil website they only wrote that the 50mm extension was not suitable for the TM base. (therefore I got the 100mm...)

Luckily there is a solution!

Wrap some thin tape around the male connector (shown in my image) and you'll have a more snug fit.

Forgot to report it here, but after some waiting I received a new cable from VIRPIL. Unfortunately, this one also fits very loose. Tested it on both my TM Warthog and Cougar bases. Credits to VIRPIL for their support and sending me a second cable though.

System specs:

Thank you Sirrah! I actually fixed it by prying the outer "ring" on the male connector a tiny bit outwards. Working perfectly for now ������

glad to have helped

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.