This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Majik View Post
    S1 doesn't easily allow for zoom during/just before pulling the trigger. Often some zoom is needed when using the gun to see what you're shooting at (especially ground targets) even on a monitor, let alone VR. Thumb is already on/near H4, so quickly using zoom, even momentarily, is easy as can be, and trigger finger stays where it is ready past the first detent.
    <...>
    Thirdly, and this is the single most important reason, which isn't an opinion; a hat allows both VR and Spyglass zoom to be used independently. Having both levels accessible is essential for inside and outside cockpit. S1 alone is not sufficient.
    If you enable TriggerZoom on supported aircraft, you get this with trigger stage 1. Also, putting it on S1 will not remove it from substitute SnapViews. This also applies to Spyglass whenever possible.

EDIT: here's an idea I may be able to implement for Warthog users. Currently, the Cougar landing gear/flaps are near-globally set to S3+H3U/D. This could be reserved for VR Zoom and Spyglass Zoom in lieu of any shifted functionality.

Secondly, and this is entriely an opinion; I believe if something is mapped to a hotas is the real jet, then it is an important control, and should be accessible without a shifted function whenever possible. It's true they don't usually require much manipulation or sustained hold, but having say, the MSL step button on the Viper actually step stations or change between fox2 and fox3s in DGFT mode, often under a stressful situation, is important without the extra step. This is also why VR Trim is set non-shifted for me; trim is very important and constant on some planes.
    I agree with you in principle, but the nature of the modified view means that holding the zoom (currently if you double-tap S1 you get zoom held in place) if shifted would continue to screw up the rest of the HOTAS mapping. To keep it simple and functional it needs to remain unshifted, which is why I chose S1.

I understand that this is similar to the VR trim 0 mouse issue though, and may be an individual case. Personally, I've never used the trim hat mouse or zoom options; both are/were too unwieldy for me.
    <...>
    Using a single hat for both vr zooms as well as rudder trim, as is the case on the Jeff and Hornet (and as I've modded onto other modules) keeps things easily accessible and neatly contained also.
    I originally put in the mouse commands on request by VR users. I get where you're coming from, and in the future I can put in a VR Trim = 2 option that sets the shifted Hat1 to be like TrackIR without padlock (e.g. rudder trim or station changes).
    Last edited 10-13-2020, 06:53 PM.
    -Home Fries

My DCS Files and Skins
    My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
    F-14B LANTIRN Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Home Fries View Post
      If you use VR, S1 should map to VR Zoom and S3+S1 does NWS.
      Well that clears it up! Thanks, sir!

Comment

If you enable TriggerZoom on supported aircraft, you get this with trigger stage 1. Also, putting it on S1 will not remove it from substitute SnapViews. This also applies to Spyglass whenever possible.

EDIT: here's an idea I may be able to implement for Warthog users. Currently, the Cougar landing gear/flaps are near-globally set to S3+H3U/D. This could be reserved for VR Zoom and Spyglass Zoom in lieu of any shifted functionality.
        I don't think trigger zoom works in vr, does it? At least I haven't been able to get it working in the past..

A global option for both zooms would be the absolute ideal, hence why I suggested H4 as it already works so perfectly in some modules. I can't stress enough how much both levels are essential to us. The way I have my UI layer bound, S3+H3U/D ends up being being used for both zoom options in the C-101 anyway. It isn't the most comfortable to reach for, but would certainly welcomed as a global binding if you could swing it.

I did think for a moment vr zoom on 1st stage trigger and spyglass on S1 could work as another global option, but you wouldn't always want zoom at the first detent (eg Viper lasing, F-5 gun port doors, or every single guns shot), and having to fiddle with toggling trigger zoom on or off (as the only option for that level of zoom) wouldn't be ideal either.

I agree with you in principle, but the nature of the modified view means that holding the zoom (currently if you double-tap S1 you get zoom held in place) if shifted would continue to screw up the rest of the HOTAS mapping. To keep it simple and functional it needs to remain unshifted, which is why I chose S1.

That's absolutlely fair, I can see exactly why you've set it as such, and why you're trying to stay away from shifted commands for it. Do you get many vr users asking for hold? (genuine question, not trying to be facetious) Personally, I have a very strong stomach for vr, and yet anything but a momentary binding that I could release in an instant for zoom could make me vr sick. It's why I never could use the trim hat zoom, aside from the binding being clunky to use for me.

I originally put in the mouse commands on request by VR users. I get where you're coming from, and in the future I can put in a VR Trim = 2 option that sets the shifted Hat1 to be like TrackIR without padlock (e.g. rudder trim or station changes).

Again, that's fair. Any consideration for us vr users is appreciated, and apologies if I'm causing you any headaches trying work this around; your profile is the reason I'm into DCS, I don't think I'd be able to set or remember anything if I were left to my own devices. I put off flying the sim for the longest time because the complications of binding everything daunted me (didn't know what half the stuff was even for).
        A-10C II | JF-17 | F-16C | F/A-18C | F-14B | F-5E | C-101 | FC3 | UH-1H | Super Carrier | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria
        Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog w/ 100mm ext | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb Pro | Jetpad FSE

Comment

Flaps for Mig-21 on TM Warthog?

Hi and thank you for this great tool and the hard work behind it!

Maybe I don't fully understand this yet, but it seems as if there is no switch on the TM Warthog that sets the flaps to the 0 / 25 / 45 deflection? At least I'm not seeing it in the Profile JPG for the Mig-21.

Am I missing something here?

thanks,
          H.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes57 View Post
            Hi and thank you for this great tool and the hard work behind it!

Maybe I don't fully understand this yet, but it seems as if there is no switch on the TM Warthog that sets the flaps to the 0 / 25 / 45 deflection? At least I'm not seeing it in the Profile JPG for the Mig-21.

Am I missing something here?

thanks,
            H.
            It's specific to the MFDs (3 buttons on the LMFD to match the 3 buttons on the left console in the jet). The flap switch is set for the 3 stage landing gear, as is my convention in similar Russian jets.
            -Home Fries

My DCS Files and Skins
            F-14B LANTIRN Guide

Comment

It's specific to the MFDs (3 buttons on the LMFD to match the 3 buttons on the left console in the jet). The flap switch is set for the 3 stage landing gear, as is my convention in similar Russian jets.
              Ah, thank you. So, unless I have two MFDs (which I don't), the functionality mapped to these won't be available on the Warthog Joystick/Throttle, correct? That is, unless I mess around in the scripts themselves, which I don't plan to do .

thanks,
              H.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes57 View Post
                Ah, thank you. So, unless I have two MFDs (which I don't), the functionality mapped to these won't be available on the Warthog Joystick/Throttle, correct?
                Correct.
                -Home Fries

My DCS Files and Skins
                F-14B LANTIRN Guide

Comment

2.50c (Hotfix 3) is up. It fixes issues with the Mi-8, though the comms routine is still WIP.
                  -Home Fries

My DCS Files and Skins
                  F-14B LANTIRN Guide

Comment

Working...
                  X