y2kiah's A-10C cockpit build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's alive!

It's a home made 5' x 3' machine of mostly my own design, borrowing several techniques from well-known DIY cnc tutorials online. I still need to make the router mount, and smooth out the motors with some calibration. It's capable of jogging at over 4 inches per second (240 ipm), but it remains to be seen what kind of cutting speed can be achieved without stalling the motors.

Comment

Well done mate!

That CnC is gonna become your best friend... c",)
      "But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"
      sigpic

Comment

well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks gents. Trigger I have you and your monster thread to thank (blame?) for all of this craziness.

My next video will hopefully be cutting out the fuel panel. I found a local plastics supplier that should save me some $ on shipping, though I think they sell 8x4 sheets minimum, which is probably much more than I'll need for the whole pit. I plan to use a translucent white Acrylic for the panels, so the lettering will be white when engraved from the painted black surface, and can still be back lit.

I've also been playing with a couple samples of EL sheet. One is pink when off and light green when lit, the other is white off, green lit. I know now to stay away from the pink/green stuff because the green it produces is not very good. The white/green variety makes a much deeper, truer green, much closer to the bluish green tint of NVIS backlighting.

Comment

Well done on the CNC. It makes some good noises - it is indeed alive.

See if your acrylic supplier will sell you some offcuts, or find one of their local customers, and buy their offcuts. 8 x 4 sheets are an awkward size for cars and home.

I assume you will be able to control the plunge depth on your router? Or just two positions?

You'll be able to feed your cutter (1/8 or 1/4 end mill?) at a good speed, but your enemy will be heat, and the acrylic melting round the cutter, I think. Never machined acrylic like that though, you may be fine.

This has got me thinking about g codes and cutter offsets for the first time in years!

Looking forwards to seeing your results.

Comment

8x4 sheet is just the minimum order, they don't sell in smaller quantities, but they offer 2 free cuts. A good source of information on correct bits, feed rates and RPMs for a given type of plastic is here http://www.plasticrouting.com.

Comment

Does anyone have an estimate of the slope of the outer row of panels on the right and left in the A-10 cockpit? I'm eyeballing it right now and it's very hard to tell if I'm in the right ballpark.

The SAS panel is nearly done. Also looking for good dimensions of the lamp seen on this panel and throughout the cockpit. Again, I eyeballed it.

Comment

Originally posted by y2kiah View Post
                  Does anyone have an estimate of the slope of the outer row of panels on the right and left in the A-10 cockpit? I'm eyeballing it right now and it's very hard to tell if I'm in the right ballpark.

The SAS panel is nearly done. Also looking for good dimensions of the lamp seen on this panel and throughout the cockpit. Again, I eyeballed it.
                  I used same methed so no real info. I settled for 20 degrees.

Great work on the panel !

/Gus
                  - - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Duckling View Post
                    I used same methed so no real info. I settled for 20 degrees.

Great work on the panel !

/Gus
                    Thanks, I'm right there with you, I raised the outside edge by 2 inches and it ended up about 18 degrees

Comment

Just another new panel to show

Wanted: part number/source, or to buy spare 4-way hat switch for this panel

Unfortunately I don't have an old joystick with a coolie hat that matches the one on this panel

In the yellow areas, there will be a white stripe dividing each yellow section. I'll probably try to engrave the different areas, then paint. If that doesn't work out, I'll engrave the whole strip and overlay a printout of the colors.
                      Last edited by y2kiah; 04-26-2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Great stuff
                        will you make them at CnC ???
                        if you do can you please post here the gcode ?
                        i am finishing one CnC and dont know yet how to make 3D objects and gcode.
                        So if you want please post them here
                        thank you anyway
                        stelios

Comment

I have an extra real back plate and light panel with out switshes if your intrested just drop me a pm
                          https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies
                          CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Comment

Here are some pic of the panel.

Back plate and light plate together

A few other odds and ins

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies
                            CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Comment

wow thats special,..some freaking great looking work..
                              seems you make big steps forward in last weeks..congrats

cheers

Scud
                              TM HOTAS WH , Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HDsigpic

Comment

Wow, Deadman that's an impressive collection. Are you planning to build a pit, or just collecting them for now?

Comment

Working...
                                X