F-18 Wheel Brakes Not Working on CH Pro Pedals

Bob1943

I have assigned Wheel Brake-Left to the left toe brake on my CH pedals and Wheel Brake-Right to the right toe brake. Using Sim mode.

However, when I actuate the rudder toe brakes in-game, they will not stop the F-18, I have to hit the W key to get stopped.

Any ideas?

The brakes are axis controlled. Tune the axis to no curves and slider.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

Perhaps this is the problem.

Anti-Skid Switch The anti-skid circuit prevents brake application on landing until wheel speed is over 50 knots, or if a wet runway delays wheel spin-up, 3 seconds after touchdown. A locked wheel protection circuit releases the brakes if the speed of one main wheel is 40% of the other main wheel. The locked wheel protection circuit is disabled at about 35 knots. The anti-skid system is totally disabled below 10 knots. Anti-skid is used for airfield operation, but not for carrier operations.

Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Windows 10 Home 64bit

The brakes don’t even work on the F-18 during taxi from the parking ramp to the runway. Don’t think Anti-skid is the problem. Must be something else going on. I’ll keep poking around to see if I can find the problem.

This may be a long shot, but try inverting the axis. If it's "backwards" you might be releasing the brake instead of applying it when you press on them. And it could be that you have ticked that box in F-5 but not the F-18 controls which is why it works in one but not the other.

If it wasn't a problem when taxing from startup I'd say it was that you were in flight idle rather than ground idle (if you bring throttle to idle with no W.O.W. it's a higher idle than when you have W.O.W. so braking effectiveness is reduced by the higher thrust).

Edit: rob10, just saw your post after I posted the following. Yep, Invert was the solution. I assume W.O.W. means weight on wheels?

Well, after many trial & error attempts, I finally got the toe brakes to work by selecting the "Invert" box in the Axis Tune menu.

Does anyone know why "Invert" would make a difference in whether the brake pedals work or don't work? I don't understand what "Invert" is doing. "Invert" is not checked for the F-5 and the brake pedals work fine.

So, in summary, here are the Axis Tune settings that make the CH Pro brake pedals work with the F-18:

Wheel Brake-Left: (Joy_x); Slider & Invert boxes both checked

Wheel Brake-Right: (Joy_y); Slider & Invert boxes both checked

Edited by Bob1943

Yes W.O.W = weight on wheels.

Invert literally does that: flips the axis of what's pressed and what's released. Not sure why, but *most* aircraft seem to need the axis inverted to work (at least with CH pedals). When it's not inverted when you don't have the pedals pressed it is being read as the brakes are depressed, and when you press the pedals it thinks they are released. Invert makes them read the way they should.

Yes, I noted that "inverted" effect on the brakes when I first noticed the braking problem.

With the brakes being released, i.e., with my feet off of the pedals, it nearly took afterburner power to get the plane to move from a parked position! Then as I pressed on the brakes, the plane seemed to taxi faster. So yes, just the opposite (inverted) from what you would expect.

Still don't understand why the F-5 brakes work fine without having the axis being inverted.