Returning to Flight Sims after 10-Years - Use My Old Ch Products ?

Bob1943

I have been away from flight sims for about 10-years. However, I just bought a new gaming computer and am eager to get back into flight sims. Background: I am a former USAF fighter pilot from 1967 to 1973. Flew the F-111, F-100 (in Vietnam), and A-37.

My old HOTAS system consists of the CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals, all USB. Probably do not have more than 30-hours of use on the products before I got out of flight sims due to heavy work schedule many years ago.

I am assuming that I can still use these CH products in DCS. However, I have read issues about the CH Control Manager software having issues with WIN10. I don't even have the CH software anymore, that was lost when my old computer died, so I have no desire to find a copy to upload.

1. I understand that you can calibrate the CH products in WIN10. Is this correct?

2. I understand that I can map all required flight system controls to HOTAS buttons using the DCS management software. Is this correct?

Any other suggests on using this old CH gear with DCS is appreciated.

If I cannot get it to work, I would be looking at buying the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog setup.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Bob1943

1 correct

2 correct

I'd prolly give 'em a shot or two of contact cleaner and a bit of fresh lube after all this time .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

1 - Correct but not advisable, install at least CH Manager for do the calibration in right way or use 3rd part software like DView, that allow set deadzones and curves.

If you have issues with this gear - most common is potentiometer spikes, today are option for modernize for contacless sensor: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250644

I have read of windows calibration being inadvisible , and certainly it is more of a pain than it should be , but i have had no issues with it , having deleted CM some two years ago .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Prefer not to fight with calibration problems, within Windows or CH Manager. In fact, I do not even remember how to do a calibration.

I'll give it a shot in WIN10 first, if that doesn't work, I'll probably just buy the new Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.

Appreciate the feedback. Hope to get up and running this week.

Thanks

Edited by Bob1943

I contacted CH Products yesterday about a Windows 10 update for the Control Manager software.

Here is their reply:

"Hi Bob,

No, we do not have any plans of releasing a patch for this legacy program. Please note the Control Manager is an optional program we offer, and it is not needed in order to use our products.

this legacy program is not required to calibrate. We recommend calibrating within the Game Controller menu built into your Windows operating system. You can find this by searching your Windows Settings for “USB” and clicking Set up USB Game Controllers."

So, the product manufacturer says we are good to go without using Control Manager software.

Prefer not to fight with calibration problems.... buy the new Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS.

An new stick will not you exclude the need of calibrate. May require firmware flash too. :D

Svsmokey

I have read of windows calibration being inadvisible , and certainly it is more of a pain than it should be , but i have had no issues with it , having deleted CM some two years ago .

In theory at least, are a technical problem with this.

In an old topic in SimHQ (~10 years ago)Bob Church, formerly CH drivers/software developer (now retired) explain.

CTS potentiometer used in CH's have 15+15º "effective electric angle" - their resistive trail read only in this 30º area. See this area in the second image from left to right:

CH-pot.jpg

But - no sure if both or just Y axis, CH gimbal move more than this, perhaps 32º.

Then the Manager calibration process amplify pot readings for match this physical movement.

Windows software, that remount Win95 days, no.

This may create a deadzone in end of axis course.

Anyway can test if are this mismatching with an accurate test software like VKB.JoyTester.

And "if it ain't broke don't fix it". ;)

• 6 months later...