Honey, I developed FFB joystick (DIY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey, I developed FFB joystick (DIY)

Finally, it is time to introduce my FFB joystick prototype! I spent a lot of time and learned a lot of new stuff when work on it. So here what is already implemented:

- Works as standard USB FFB device, understands standard FFB protocol. No drivers. No plugins.
    - Supports spring, constant, ramp an periodic effects.
    - Custom firmware for STM32 microcontroller family.
    - Currently ODrive controller is used as the hardware, but custom made, much more affordable controller is on its way from manufacturer.
    - Uses affordable hobby grade brushless motors.
    - Nearly 8Nm of torque planned with 20A of current per motor.
    - Smooth operation almost without noticeable cogging.

In plans:
    - Support for Thrustmaster grips.
    - PC software for interactive effect gains tuning.
    - Improvements

And a little bit of media

Attached Files
    Last edited 10-02-2020, 09:36 PM.

My bank account number, please help yourself, let me know when i can expect delivery

555639857=)
    skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2
    //FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

Comment

I want one. even as kit. I will not need to wait for grip mounting.

what are you planning as far as availability?
      Anton.

My pit build thread .
      Simple and cheap UFC project

Comment

nice work

Comment

Looks awesome! Show off in a video? [emoji6]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations, look forward to seeing your future progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That is really impressive. How much did you spend on parts? I am always on the lookout for the next msffb2.
              P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Comment

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                That is really impressive. How much did you spend on parts? I am always on the lookout for the next msffb2.
                Did not make exact calculations, because there was some iterations thrown away into trash busket But I think something around 650$ in total. Depends whery much on price of 3d printing and cutting/bending metal parts.

There is another improved version of gimbal in printing service now. Will make precise calculations when it arrive and will be tested.

Comment

Very impressive! Did you already try the force trim options in the Huey, Mi-8 or Ka-50? (default trimming option in special settings)
                  i9 10920X @4.8GHz, 3090 OC, 64 GB RAM @3600, Valve Index, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with FFB base mod (G940)

Comment

20 A of current per motor, ... hehe

How much time have you put into the project Propeler?
                    One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Comment

Looks very good. I think that a kit might be a good option to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Alec Delorean View Post
                        Very impressive! Did you already try the force trim options in the Huey, Mi-8 or Ka-50? (default trimming option in special settings)
                        If you mean trim which is assigned to T button by default - yes. it works. Needs position smoothing on button press, but works.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
                          20 A of current per motor, ... hehe
                          Do you think it is too much for the motors? Those motors are rated for 55A max. 20A for them is a super mild condition. Taking into account that such current will be at max deflection only.

Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
                          How much time have you put into the project Propeler?
                          oH.. It is another story. Building something is my hobby, so I spend time for it not on regular basis. When I started it I was total zero in electronics. Now I know a lot about power electronics, microcontrolers, USB protocol, PID algorythms, FOC motor controll, PCB prototyping and so on. Reading about all of that things took most of the invested time. But those things are simply interesting for me

Comment

Originally posted by DD_Crash View Post
                            Looks very good. I think that a kit might be a good option to have.
                            I plan to open CAD files for it when I will be sure that everythig is working togetther and anyone who is interested in it can build it. And will build it for those who would like to have ready for use solution

Comment

At 8 NM of force you'll need to be careful with the thrustmaster grips. The Zamac tailpiece tends to fail from high force loading. There's a fulcrum point where it comes out of the grip body. May want to set a force limit for standard Grips.

Comment

Originally posted by propeler View Post
                                I plan to open CAD files for it when I will be sure that everythig is working togetther and anyone who is interested in it can build it. And will build it for those who would like to have ready for use solution

Very nice. I’m looking forward to getting further informations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@propeler

Here is the CAD data of the base thread for grips M36x2-6g (by Baur from Virpil): https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/...t&comment=6006
                                  Should work for all the compatible grips out there.
                                  i9 10920X @4.8GHz, 3090 OC, 64 GB RAM @3600, Valve Index, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with FFB base mod (G940)

Comment

Wow .. very nice!

Would love a FFB stick with a modern grip.
                                    Looking forward - keep it up!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk
                                    >> DCS liveries by golani79 <<

Comment

Propeller,

Excellent work. I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by propeler View Post
                                        If you mean trim which is assigned to T button by default - yes. it works. Needs position smoothing on button press, but works.
                                        Great! The recommended procedure is to press and hold the trim button when moving to a new position (Force is off), then release (Force is on). Pressing the trim button shifts control authority from SAS to pilot, releasing gives authority back to the SAS. During constant maneuvering you basically hold the button all the time and it's mapped to the grip (thumb button).
                                        Last edited 10-04-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X