No announcement yet.

The High-End Battle Royale Pedal Shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrected two tiny errors and adjusted a photo for better explanation. Hope it helps!
    One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Comment

If money wasn´t a problem, I would buy Slaw pedals just to stare at them. They look(and work from what I read) amazing.
      i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | GTX 1080 | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | HOTAS Cougar | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3 TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel
      FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG - Mi8 - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II

Comment

Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
        the pendulum motion swing is no better or no worse than a horizontal parallelogram.

I can't fault the biology lesson(!), however the one big difference with horizontal compared to pendulum is that the former are much more difficult to install in a realistic cockpit set up, because we must account for the width and the motion. This can be very difficult to accommodate.

The best horizontal motion pedals for cockpit builders will be those with wider spacing. If you used the cheapest TM pedals of this type (I think they are called TFPR) then the spacing of these pedals makes them useless.

The flip side of the wide spacing being good is that with the horizontal layout they'll also have more travel, and you'll need to factor that in to your cockpit plans. Which is tough!

I do realize that most people aren't going to go to the trouble of building a full cockpit, or won't care much about how it goes together. For those who are flying a desk, it is probably better for you to go with simple and high quality such as those recommended by Aurelius, partly because they'll be easier to install.

That high column and massive weight of the TPR pedals is definitely going to be a problem for many users. As for TFPR, I would recommend steering well clear of them (and no, that wasn't a rudder pun, but easily could have been!).

Comment

Good point Osita, ... actually I have been a bit surprised that some high-end home cockpit designs do not fit the TPRs, Crosswinds or Slaws (at least not without modification). First rule of business, .... always know the business you are entering.
          One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

Comment

Very nice review, very informative.
            I loves my Crosswinds... but chopper pedals is where I will be going next.

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:
            Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.
            Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,
            DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.
            My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.
            VR Driver system:
            I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Comment

Interesting article and thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I have a set of SLAWs old 109 pedals and like all his stuff they are beefy. He seemed to have changed controller boards over time. Originally mine had an issue with older games (WOFF and WOTR wouldn't recognize the controller in them). He did a firmware change but that ended up with occasional toe brake issues. I have been considering just dumping his card for a Bodnar card but I haven't been using them.

I will grab a set of his F16 design if he gets them released (said he's waiting on a casting for the foot pieces but COVID delay)

Probably sell off his BF109 pedals then

Been mainly using the crosswinds but find I have to re-calibrate them with their software every few weeks.

Miss my decades old RCS pedals even with the scratchy pots that I had to clean

Comment

Strange. I only had to do a one time calibration on the Crosswinds like 7 years ago when I got them.

Comment

Originally posted by zcaa0g View Post
                  Strange. I only had to do a one time calibration on the Crosswinds like 7 years ago when I got them.
                  Directionally they are fine (or at least within my 2 deadzone) The Right brake goes whacky and starts bouncing 20-30% with no press after awhile. Re-Cal sets it fine for a few weeks. Odd issue but not a dealbreaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Osita View Post
                    ... one big difference with horizontal compared to pendulum is that the former are much more difficult to install in a realistic cockpit set up, because we must account for the width and the motion. This can be very difficult to accommodate.
                    Well, back in 1930's they manage to fit this mechanism in cramped cockpits.

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/walkar...dder.pedal.jpg
                    https://i.postimg.cc/FK9RY8GW/LaGG-3.jpg
                    http://www.storch.no/bilder/progress...rthyparts1.JPG
                    Last edited 10-16-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jskibo View Post

Been mainly using the crosswinds but find I have to re-calibrate them with their software every few weeks.

I guess I have been fortunate because I have not experienced this behavior. I have heard of this and seen videos of Crosswinds owners who experienced epoxy failure but my personal set has been flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by jskibo View Post

My Crosswinds do this as well from time to time, perhaps less than a few weeks but they can start to misbehave, usually the brake pedals.

Recal them and their good to go again, they've been like that a long time. Be nice if it didn't happen but it doesn't bother me so much

Got a Buddy who also has them and his are the same

Comment

I guess I have been fortunate because I have not experienced this behavior. I have heard of this and seen videos of Crosswinds owners who experienced epoxy failure but my personal set has been flawless.
                          Yeah same experience here with the Crosswinds.
                          They have been flawless for me , running since Dec 2015.
                          Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                          EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

In that time Don, did you regrease your bearings or replace any parts?

Comment

In that time Don, did you regrease your bearings or replace any parts?
                              No I have not.
                              Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                              EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

For all users as a general guideline on pedal maintenance, I recommend every ~ 150 hours or so of flying or twice a year (whichever comes first). Check the bearing rotation and seals. Relube if needed. Check the springs for stretch or degradation. Use a torque wrench if you have one to check all the bots and fasteners, and torque them to the recommended specs.

Comment

Miguel sent me a question asking about fitting a damper to the Thrustmaster TPRs. Miguel, the TPRs do not come stock with the proper hardware to fit a damper. You need to buy some custom bits and then fit it yourself. It took me about 15 minutes to drill the holes and set up the damper correctly. The best source of information for the mod is Greekbull and his thread here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/englis...lic-damper-mod

Comment

Working...
                                  X