The High-End Battle Royale Pedal Shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The High-End Battle Royale Pedal Shootout

I finally got a chance to finish writing up my thoughts on the Slaw RX Viper Version 2 pedals designed by Wiaczeslaw Oziablo and was also able to compare them in a Battle Royale to every other high-end pedal choice on the market currently.

https://jaytheskepticalengineer.com/...er-version-2s/

This review will likely be a bit different than many you have read. I am hopeful that this review will provide a wealth of new information for even the most experienced flight simmers and even for experienced engineers who actually design pedals.

I welcome correction, so if you notice anything off, please note it in this thread or send me a private message and I will correct it. It is a long article but I hope it makes for good reading!
    Last edited 10-04-2020, 12:13 PM.
    One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Thank you! Very interesting and fun read as always.
    Only thing I was missing is a little honorable mention of TM's original RCS (Rudder Control System) from 94/95 I think, as I bought mine in early 97. They were excellent at the time, and I still have them somewhere. I'm gonna mod'em when I find them with a contactless sensor I bought from rel4y. I'm also gonna take away the spring and add a damper. They are wide, really wide. And hopefully they'll be perfect for the Hip.
    Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Maxsenna for mentioning the RCS, ... that was way before my time

Here is a photo of the RCS for other readers who are interested:

Last edited 10-19-2020, 11:30 AM.
      One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

Comment

Awesome write up, Jay. Really, kudos to you for a concise and easily understandable article!

Comment

Thank you Bohemond. I welcome feedback and if you find anything incorrect, please let me know.

On another note, the ever knowledgeable sage Sokol1 found a few errors which are now being corrected. Thanks Sokol!

MAXsenna, I also added in the TM RCS, ... appreciate that!

Comment

Comment

As much as I would love to get a set of Slaw’s, I just can’t justify it. Elite is basically the only game I play now that utilizes a full set up. Especially now that I’ve modded my CW’s with hegykc’s 3D printed combat footrests. I’ve found that they have truly made Milan’s pedals even better.

Comment

The Crosswinds are great. I hope Milan eventually adds his own combat style pedals (he already has the equipment and experience, so it would be extra bling in his pocket, which no businessman is going to turn down) as an aftermarket addition on his website.

Comment

Milan says he’s gonna make them, been a couple of years now. I figured I’d try hegy’s as a sort of beta tester. No doubt I’ll get Milan’s version of them when they ready.

Comment

Good review. I use rudder pedals in space combat games, but only for rolling left or right. My choices were down to the MFG and Slaws a few years back and the single reason why I chose the MFG was adjustability. Can't go wrong with either pedals though depending on your wants.

Comment

Slaw (like Sokol) sent me a few corrections on the Komaroff sensors, and I will update the review shortly.

Thank you Zcaa0g.

Comment

Originally posted by bohemond View Post
                        Milan says he’s gonna make them, been a couple of years now. I figured I’d try hegy’s as a sort of beta tester. No doubt I’ll get Milan’s version of them when they ready.
                        I got my Crosswinds in Dec 2015, Milan was saying that even then.
                        I love the pedals don't get me wrong, but I would not put much stock into seeing combat pedals anytime real soon from him.
                        Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                        EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

I am no businessman but if money is laying on the table with your name on it, ... take it:

1 - Combat style pedals for the Crosswinds. Even crazier is that Milan already has everything he needs to roll these out.

2 - VKB and Mark III bases. If they sold the base separately, they would bring in who knows how much extra money. Same for steel base plates. They already have the infrastructure to do this. Look at how much money Virpil has made from the WarBRD base (hand slaps forehead).

3 - WinWing and the Super Taurus throttle. Right now there is not much demand for the stick. Sell the throttle separately and iron out the stick problems on the sidelines.

... this list could continue ....

I know manufacturers can't change in one day or one week, but you can bet if I ran VKB, that I would be selling the Mark III base separately within a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
                            I am no businessman but if money is laying on the table with your name on it, ... take it:

1 - Combat style pedals for the Crosswinds. Even crazier is that Milan already has everything he needs to roll these out.

2 - VKB and Mark III bases. If they sold the base separately, they would bring in who knows how much extra money. Same for steel base plates. They already have the infrastructure to do this. Look at how much money Virpil has made from the WarBRD base (hand slaps forehead).

3 - WinWing and the Super Taurus throttle. Right now there is not much demand for the stick. Sell the throttle separately and iron out the stick problems on the sidelines.

... this list could continue ....

I know manufacturers can't change in one day or one week, but you can bet if I ran VKB, that I would be selling the Mark III base separately within a few months.
                            On #3 Winwing does sell the throttle separately now.
                            https://www.wwsimstore.com/p/315.html
                            Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review
                            EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L | Rift S | Oculus Quest | Reverb G2

Comment

well, they look definitely nice. but toe breaks mechanism looks too complex imo.
                              i5-2500k/24Gb/MSI GTX1060/Logitech G940/VKB Cobra Z/TM Cougar MFD/VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle/BRD-MS3 Rudder Pedals
                              FC3/Ka-50/Mi-8/AV-8B/UH-1H/CA/L-39/Yak-52/MiG-21/NS430/
                              A-4E-C/MB-339

Comment

Originally posted by dburne View Post
                                On #3 Winwing does sell the throttle separately now.
                                https://www.wwsimstore.com/p/315.html
                                Good eyes Don, ... nice to know!

Comment

Originally posted by unhappytroll View Post
                                  well, they look definitely nice. but toe breaks mechanism looks too complex imo.
                                  The four bar linkage on the pedals is complex to look at but it works very well. As far as smoothness of braking, the Slaw pedals are the best. They feel just a tiny bit better than the Crosswinds but a great deal better than the TPR's.

Comment

I am leaving this message behind for Slaw and Sokol. Guys, I will be looking into the exact specifics of the Komaroff sensors this weekend and update the review as needed. On first approximation they were close enough to Hall effect sensors to list them as such but I will take a deeper look. I have corrected the review to reflect your concerns, ... thanks!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the insight! Got the TPRs and haven't regret my purchase (yet), but looking at the Slaws for a while now. Maybe for christmas...

Comment

Nothing has broken on the TPR's I have VpR but I am concerned about their long term durability. How is your set holding up mechanically?

Comment

Working...
                                        X