Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elucidate Me on Airframe Specific Control Files

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Elucidate Me on Airframe Specific Control Files

    I only came into DCS World in 2018 but from the very beginning I wondered why you can't assign a specific joystick hat or switch to, say, fire the main gun across every airframe. Setting up a single control profile for planes like the Hornet takes hours. Could some knowledgeable DCSer fill me in on how this entire practice got started or why ED decided to go in this direction?
    One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

    i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb


    JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

    #2
    Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
    I only came into DCS World in 2018 but from the very beginning I wondered why you can't assign a specific joystick hat or switch to, say, fire the main gun across every airframe.
    The trigger is an easy case .. how would you do with, for example, the DMS hat switch, that only a few american aircrafts have?

    I much prefer the flexibility of setting the aircraft controls in exactly the way I want, and as each aircraft is unique it is fitting that each control assignment distribution is also unique.
    For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
    For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
    Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Rudel_chw View Post
      The trigger is an easy case .. how would you do with, for example, the DMS hat switch, that only a few american aircrafts have?

      I much prefer the flexibility of setting the aircraft controls in exactly the way I want, and as each aircraft is unique it is fitting that each control assignment distribution is also unique.
      True. But there are defaults that make sense. If you have a lot of planes, it's a lot of mindless work to erase all the mistaken rudder/pitch/roll/throttle assignments and redo them on EVERY plane you own.
      hsb
      HW Spec in Spoiler
      ---
      Spoiler:
      i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by hansangb View Post
        If you have a lot of planes, it's a lot of mindless work to erase all the mistaken rudder/pitch/roll/throttle assignments and redo them on EVERY plane you own.
        I have all the DCS aircrafts, but I only fly 1 or 2 at a time, so I never have to configure EVERY plane.

        Besides, I'm constantly backing up my Saved Games folder, so it is easy to recover a config if I need it for any reason.
        For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
        For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
        Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Rudel_chw View Post
          I have all the DCS aircrafts, but I only fly 2 at a time,

          Good trick.
          Buzz

          Comment


            #6
            It seems to me (but hey, .. what do I know) that the prudent thing would have been to make an intermediate profile where you assign, say, ... flaps down to every single aircraft module you own. Then, for planes where 'flaps down' is not a simple binary operation or there are modifiers (say, the FW190-D), you could go in at an advanced profile level and tailor that setting for your specific controls.

            Since you mention it Hansangb, what is the easiest method for wiping all the incorrectly placed DCS HOTAS assignments that the sim tries to "guess" for your hardware?
            One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics.

            i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - RTX 3090 - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb


            JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Rudel_chw View Post
              I have all the DCS aircrafts, but I only fly 1 or 2 at a time, so I never have to configure EVERY plane.

              Besides, I'm constantly backing up my Saved Games folder, so it is easy to recover a config if I need it for any reason.
              Eventually, you do. And it's annoying having to do the same thing over and over.

              ED tried to address this once but blew up everyone's profile and backed everything out.

              All I'm saying is that a hierarchical approach would be nice. Commands that make global sense could be it its own layer. It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Saving folders works until you change you USB controllers, then you're right back to starting over.
              hsb
              HW Spec in Spoiler
              ---
              Spoiler:
              i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Aurelius View Post
                It seems to me (but hey, .. what do I know) that the prudent thing would have been to make an intermediate profile where you assign, say, ... flaps down to every single aircraft module you own. Then, for planes where 'flaps down' is not a simple binary operation or there are modifiers (say, the FW190-D), you could go in at an advanced profile level and tailor that setting for your specific controls.

                Since you mention it Hansangb, what is the easiest method for wiping all the incorrectly placed DCS HOTAS assignments that the sim tries to "guess" for your hardware?

                Once you click on the column of the errant device, you can choose CLEAR SELECTION (I think that's the one) at the top.
                hsb
                HW Spec in Spoiler
                ---
                Spoiler:
                i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

                Comment

                Working...
                X