MFG Crosswind - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFG Crosswind - Review

I've just replaced my Saitek rudder pedals with MFG Crosswind pedals from here: http://mfg.simundza.com/mfgcrosswind.php

The difference is amazing. The sensors seem very precise, and mechanically they're heavy and well built. Pedal movement is extremely smooth with a progressive increase in force at extreme left/right, and there is no centre bump like with the Saiteks (I fly light aircraft and the centre bump found in most controllers (pedals or otherwise) has always felt very unrealistic). It's great to find a controller that's solved this problem.

That said, if you like a centre bump, you can swap out the CAMs for a different profile that has one, as well as adjust spring tension to your personal preference (more detail on the website). Pedal force and angles are also adjustable.

While they're not cheap, IMO they represent good value for money and I wish I'd got them earlier. If simming is your thing and you can afford them, get them; you won't be disappointed.

Dammit guys, stop posting such positive reviews. I'm itching to order the Crosswinds even though my Simpeds are still perfectly fine...

Comment

Do they suffer center detent like Saitek's pedals? No. - /me runs to turn calendar back to rewrite Santa's letters
      51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)
      100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky
      tail# 44 or 444
      sigpic 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Comment

These and the Slaw Device pedals are quite high up my list of priorities for toys in the future.

They just look so good and I can't wait to be fully rid of any Saitek hardware I still have.

Comment

Got these pedals a few months back and got rid of the Saitek Pedals and they are a huge step up in terms of quality, feel, and performance - Milian's done a great job and has continued the development of his supporting firmware and utility.

If you have the $ - couldn't suggest any other pedals

Comment

These Pedals are the best Pedals i've ever owned. i use these for like a month, and i will never give them back.

The precision, smoothness, lack of stickyness and all the things you can adjust are simply amazing. And to mention the best thing: wallspacers!!!
            I mean fsck yeah, why did no vendor ever think of that? How was I living without them?

Yes, they are a little costy, but I really enjoy these pedals!
            Spoiler:
            • i5-3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX660Ti, SSD, Win7 64Bit
            • Warthog Base + Cougar Stick, Cougar Throttle (el cheapo HAL-Mod), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
            • Blackshark 1&2, A-10C, P-51, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, F86-F, MiG-21Bis, Combined Arms, FC3, Falcon BMS, Rise of Flight

Comment

+1 Using them for just under a month now. Smooooth.

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:
              Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.
              Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,
              DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.
              My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.
              VR Driver system:
              I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Comment

I was in contact with Milan the other day and if I order the pedals now, I could have them up and running in March and I'm really itching to get them.

But before I order them I have a question: do you lucky s.o.b's that already own the Crosswinds have anything negative to say about them? Something that annoy you? Or is it just roses and strawberries all over?
                sigpic
                My computer specs below:
                Spoiler:
                CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Comment

I've not lived with them for any length of time, but so far its roses and strawberries.

Comment

Originally posted by Yurgon View Post
                    Dammit guys, stop posting such positive reviews. I'm itching to order the Crosswinds even though my Simpeds are still perfectly fine...
                    Im the same, I have only recently updated my simpeds with a bodner board and some strengthening of the weak spots but I want these badly
                    III/JG11_Tiger

Comment

Originally posted by El Hadji View Post
                      I was in contact with Milan the other day and if I order the pedals now, I could have them up and running in March and I'm really itching to get them.

But before I order them I have a question: do you lucky s.o.b's that already own the Crosswinds have anything negative to say about them? Something that annoy you? Or is it just roses and strawberries all over?
                      The only negative I experienced was the initial firmware upgrading process where the pedals had to be unplugged (USB) but's a thing of the past with the later firmware boot tool - so really at the moment I can't give you any negatives from my point of view.

Well actually.... I wished Milian had made these earlier!

Comment

it is just roses and strawberries except that they are light and require fixing down. The crosswind have felt pads on the base that don't work with wood floors but works well on carpets (there may be an option for silicon pads).

I fixed the crosswind to a wooden board with large silicon anti slip pads at the bottom which gave me a very stable and solid result.
                        I was going to do this with my old ch pro pedals anyway.
                        Now every ounce of pressure is transmitted accurately into the sim.

HP pro Reverb.

Current settings:
                        Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate.
                        Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,
                        DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 2 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA.
                        My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed.
                        VR Driver system:
                        I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and 2080ti graphics card, 32 gigs Ram 3200 Hz. No OC at the mo.

Comment

I just received mine, and must say...woooow.
                          Finally can take off in huey pointed in same direction
                          sigpic
                          Pilot from Croatia

Comment

Yeah, the Crosswinds are absolutly amazing!
                            Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Comment

yes they are, indeed strawberry and roses...

Comment

Well I'm waiting on mine being produced. I contacted Milan over a month ago as he was in the process of making these pedals with US fighter style footrests - prototypes should be ready shortly. I think they're going to be the same price too, and the footrests are also going to be available seperately, I believe. Am very excited about these although my Saitek combats have done me proud I just need a change
                                MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Comment

Another MFG Crosswinds Rudder Pedal user review:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...37#Post3920537

Sokol1

Comment

Originally posted by El Hadji View Post

The pedals have matured with the latest software and electronic updates, from when I first reviewed them last year:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110618

The biggest problem you are looking at is their narrow base and getting used to holding both feet on them all the time - else they tend to bank with toe brakes set to a shallow angle.

All this is easily solved with either placing them against something solid so they can not move around, or best solution you can do - mount them properly with screws to the floor or your simpit.

But when you weigh in all the pros, this really is negligible.
                                    P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 980Ti 6G | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5
                                    sigpic Dedicated Bomber Squadron
                                    WWII bomber formations
                                    DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Comment

You can always screw them tight to a piece of wooden door from an old kitchen cabinet if you got one laying around in your basement for example...and then buy a black color spraycan
                                      sigpic
                                      Pilot from Croatia

Comment

MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Twenty digits up (all fingers thumbs and toes) for these pedals
                                        3 words Smooth, Smooth, Smooth
                                        Peeled off the felt feet and replaced with velcro industrial hook side and dropped on carpeted floor.
                                        Plugged in connectors (I use Stabalant 22A on all connections http://stabilant.com/techt02h.htm) followed firmware update instructions and all is smooth, smooth, smooth.
                                        These pedals are like upgrading to a luxury automobile from an entry level utility vehicle.
                                        Additionally to my surprise in the software setup there is an option to cause the toe brakes to issue a button command. ( brakes/lock tail wheel IL2) or left toe for key ?/macro right toe for key ?/macro.
                                        A very happy satisfied consumer here.
                                        Exceeded expectations.
                                        Wind Walkers are gathering

Comment

Working...
                                        X