New forum vs old forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like this new look.
    Some of the implemented new features are really useful, but the new look? That's a solid no for me if it counts at all.
    sigpic
    Cold War 1947 - 1991
    Helicopters Tournaments
    Combined Arms Tournaments
    You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Comment

Damn, I'm kinda speechless (in a negative way). I just came here to check the latest posts I missed and saw this new forum which looks like an accident. Besides looking absolutely horrible it is a pain in the *** to use on a desktop PC. How the hell can I see all the posts I missed since my last visit???

Edit: I figured out how to tailor the advanced search to get the latest posts, but this is incredibly cumbersome compared to the single click it was before...
      Last edited 10-20-2020, 05:58 PM.
      Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Comment

Originally posted by sirrah View Post

In addition; I mostly browse this forum on my mobile (Android) and the main forum menu has improved imo.
        Holy cow!

I never bothered reading the forum during a commute because it was just totally unusable on my small-ish old-ish Android phone. The new version is a MASSIVE improvement for mobile!

Comment

Ugly and difficult to understand. ED, please, how come you changed something that was fine and hardly anyone complained about?
          Before it was all clear with a single glance: subscribed threads, updated threads, we could jump to the first unread message ... now it's a real drama ... and we waste a lot of time. So, please, REVERSE.

Comment

Where is the "New Post" Functionality...literally the main thing I use (My Forum landing Page was "New Posts"
            sigpic

Comment

Looks terrible if I'm honest.

Massive waste of space on the sides, styling is pretty bad too. It looks like a very mid 2000's default skin forum now.

Comment

Agree with most here....

Please roll back to the old style, It had character, not to mention was much easier on the eyes and straight forward to navigate around.

This new forum has none! Why change something that wasn't broke? I bet we don't get the busted Christmas lights on this one either!
                Last edited 10-20-2020, 06:06 PM.
                System :-
                i7-7820X, ASUS ROG Strix X229, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz, 11GB Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti, 1x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2, Windows 10. VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Throttle, Saitek combat rudder pedals, Oculus Rift S and CV1.

........................................................................sigpic.............................................................................

Comment

Originally posted by Yurgon View Post

Holy cow!

I never bothered reading the forum during a commute because it was just totally unusable on my small-ish old-ish Android phone. The new version is a MASSIVE improvement for mobile!
                  This seems to be the main problem - to avoid having 2 sets of code they have now done well for mobiles at the expense of a great desktop experience. Good for when mobile, not so good when you are sat at your PC trying to troubleshoot issues for people
                  Windows 10 Home ¦ Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 motherboard ¦ i5-8600K oc to 4.3GHz ¦ 48GB Corsair PC4 memory @ 3000MHz ¦ Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD for OS, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD for DCS ¦ ASUS ROG GTX 2060 Super 8GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk2 and MCG ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Oculus Rift S

Comment

I understand all the complaints about planes now if this new forum brings this kind of reaction.
                    Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzles View Post
                      Massive waste of space on the sides [...]
                      Not anymore there isn't.

Just browsing the forum I'm seeing changes being implement right as we speak... errrr, write.

Is it really too much to ask something like "Could you have the forum use all the space on the screen? Right now space on the sides seems a bit wasted" instead of the above quote? Picking out this one example, but I'm referring to the entire thread.

Contrary to popular belief, I would assume that the team did not implement this change to harass any of you on a personal level. Yet the responses in this thread are so vile in nature, I just keep shaking my head. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Those guys that did this change are just ordinary human beings (at least I'm working under that assumption ).

Would you like to be insulted and be told that your work is just horrible by complete strangers who formed an opinion in all of 3 hours?

I'm seeing very little constructive criticism and a lot of complaints and demands here. Some of you should really be ashamed. Try running your own forum with thousands of active users and a growing pile of requests and demands, and then as soon as you implement them, people complain that everything was fine, no one in the entire world ever asked for anything to change, and they want the old stuff back. And of course not acknowledging any of the great and useful changes that were implemented at the same time.

Getting pretty sick of what has become of this community.

Comment

Originally posted by hornblower793 View Post

This seems to be the main problem - to avoid having 2 sets of code they have now done well for mobiles at the expense of a great desktop experience. Good for when mobile, not so good when you are sat at your PC trying to troubleshoot issues for people
                        I'm assuming this was not just a facelift. It's probably an upgrade to the underlying software, which, if I had to guess, was very long overdue.

Nowadays, webdesign must be compatible with mobile. There's just no 2 ways about it. It's a requirement.

That means the old skin can't just be ported over without any hitch or hassle. Maybe someone will create a new skin that resembles the old one, but that's probably going to be a lot of work.

What I'm seeing in terms of functionality, a lot has changed under the hood. At first glance, I'm missing a few features that I was used to, but I'm also seeing many new features that I've wished for for a long time, some I didn't even know were possible, and all things considered I'm really liking what I'm seeing, using the same desktop I used yesterday.

Seeing as some of the issues mentioned in this thread have already been addressed, the team are probably reading these threads and taking the positive and good ideas and implementing them. I wouldn't be surprised if the "New Posts" function makes a great entrance quickly, because that was indeed very useful.

Anyway, I really don't see an issue troubleshooting issues for people because of the new forum. Most of the complaints in this thread have been about convenience and quality-of-life features, as far as I can tell at this point.

Comment

Usually you should give new changes some time and give it a chance to adapt.

But right now I would go for the old forum all the way, by far.
                          DCS Livery Art Group Cinematic

- Skins/Liveries
                          - DCS Screenshots

Texac on YouTube

Comment

I guess the change was required, BUT, poorly communicated.
                            System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Comment

Originally posted by Yurgon View Post
                              Those guys that did this change are just ordinary human beings (at least I'm working under that assumption ).

Would you like to be insulted and be told that your work is just horrible by complete strangers who formed an opinion in all of 3 hours?

I'm seeing very little constructive criticism and a lot of complaints and demands here. Some of you should really be ashamed. Try running your own forum with thousands of active users and a growing pile of requests and demands, and then as soon as you implement them, people complain that everything was fine, no one in the entire world ever asked for anything to change, and they want the old stuff back. And of course not acknowledging any of the great and useful changes that were implemented at the same time.

Getting pretty sick of what has become of this community.
                              Pfft, get off your high horse. I don't remember seeing any massive or frequent threads in this comment section specifically about the forum demanding a complete revamp.
                              And yes, you publish something on the web, or hell, in public, you sure as hell are gonna get told it's horrible by complete strangers and get insulted. There's nothing new here about that.

Comment

I'll give it some time and see if I like it better then. I'm on a pc, never read this forum on a mobile...
                                Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, Palit RTX 2080 TI, 1 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Comment

Definitely not a fan of this new format but, like some others in here have mentioned, it was most likely done out of necessity and not just so some FNG at ED could put their finger print on it and claim that they are doing something! It is what it is.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Not a fan of this new format.
                                    sigpic

Comment

The new forum theme and layout... meh. However, I can't believe there is no clear indication to find the threads with new posts.

Seems sorted now.

Still not a fan of the new theme, "shrug" it is what it is.
                                      Last edited 10-20-2020, 09:41 PM.
                                      sigpic
                                      i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Comment

not a fan of the new forum

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | 2080ti | 64GB DDR4 Ram | Winwings Hotas | MFG Crosswinds | HP Reverb

Comment

It's still awful, but it started out worse. There are still many issues, the board list looks horrible, there's no easy way to skip to the last page of a thread, and I'm getting this annoying "flicker" when the window can't decide how many lines it should have. If they can get us the old layout back, or something close to it, I'll be happy.

Mobile might be a requirement, but for a community like that, widescreen is important, too. We're flightsimmers, you know, the people with multiple 4K screens, top-line PCs and all that jazz! Nobody's flying this thing on a laptop or mobile. Some fly VR, like me, but I bet they all have a decent sized screen, too, like I do.

Comment

Working...
                                          X