New forum vs old forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schurem View Post
    But it isn't. Boy are we a conservative lot. The old forum was a pain to read on a mobile device. This isn't. It was a pain to maintain and secure. This one most likely isn't. It's called progress buddy. And yea, that entails change.
    But it isn't, the old forum at least you could use Tapatalk if you didn't like the desktop forum on your mobile device, this one is impossible to navigate on my Pixel and is terrible for a desktop. I always used the desktop version on my phone and it was fine. As an example, on my phone I couldn't even vote on this forum poll because it just opens automatically to the results, I had to make a special effort to find it on the desktop version when I got home from work just so I could vote on how I felt about the change.
    Last edited 10-22-2020, 05:12 AM.
    Georgian Spring Server: Join the Revolution!
    http://georgianspring.enjin.com/

Training for Sabre Pilots
    http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com/

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/

Comment

While trying to read stuff here, suddenly popping up out of nowhere:

Error

Error information: " 0 error "
      Yeah. Seems legit. But: HWhy?

Comment

For what its worth I liked seeing the most recent post of a given sub-forum. If I saw something odd it gave reason to see what it was about. Especially in the sections I don't read much. If it was customizable it'd be great. All I wanna see are the latest posts in the main bug section and the DCS World Topics.

But I guess rep is back now? So thats neat.
        The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.
        Current Projects: Scripting Wiki, Something...
        Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread), SLMOD, IADScript, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Comment

Originally posted by NineLine View Post
          It's not about getting the old forum back, this was a long-overdue software update, we won't be going back, sorry. We will just push through the issues and get it working as we like, thanks.
          Totally agree that it was long overdue, especially since the old version probably had some security issues that you wanted to have fixed which is something users normally don't think of when these updates happen. Just looks like we have to go through making the experience as close to the old one as possible together. Guess the first step is making the things work again that got broken, then the next one would be to change or customize the CSS to make the look more eye-friendly and after that comes the nice-to-have things. And we'll probably have to live with some things like being unable to middle click reply buttons to open them in separate tabs.

BTW you're the only one so far I've seen with a working signature picture. You moderators sure are some lucky gits at the moment. BTW, while we're at it (I hope it's not too OT), I'd suggest changing a part of the rules to more modern terms:

2 SIGNATURE AND AVATAR RULES:

2.1 Signatures may include images and/or text. If using images, use the Control Panel to upload the image to the forum for hosting and make sure it does not exceed the stated limitations of 500x100x20KB. There is no linking to 3'rd party servers for signature image hosting.

2.2 Use the Control Panel to upload an avatar to the forum for hosting and make sure it does not exceed the stated limitations of 80x80x20KB. There is no linking to 3'rd party servers for avatar image hosting.

2.3 Maximum signature height is 6 text lines. Take 20 px height of a picture as one text line. So a signature with 100 px height picture can have one text line below or above the picture.
          My point to make is the size limits do come from an era where people still were browsing the web on 56k with 800x600 or even lower screens. Any chance to have that revisited to fit more modern standards? I guess twice the sig height (or at least 150px) and twice the avatar size (especially considering the current layout around it having more than enough space for that) should be quite possible without cluttering up the visuals at all. Also, (haven't checked here yet), the old board had a pic size limit on the photo albums of 800x600 IIRC. I tried to put some settings screenshots in there (so I could always say "check my profile" instead of posting the same stuff over and over again), but that limit made it almost impossible to read off the things so I never actually did that. Being able to put screenshots of our graphics settings as well as graphics card settings and maybe even a dxdiag file somewhere sure would help bughunting. Would totally appreciate if you could consider changing this to more modern standards.

Comment

Thanks Taz

Comment

New forum is not better.. not good.. confusing.. there are good options but the navigation is terrible.. we are lost/
              Last edited 10-22-2020, 08:35 AM.
              Fly it like you stole it..

Comment

I have to add my voice to the opinion that the new forum is a huge step back in usability. What I miss the most is the high level view of the new topics and unread posts like the old forum had.

The "Latest Activity" view is near useless, maybe good for a forum that has ten posts a day, not a huge forum like this. It doesn't even remember which topics I've already read, it doesn't bring me to the unread portion of a thread, clicking "more" every couple threads is very inefficient.

Hardware: Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Hotas Cougar, Slaw Rudder, Wheel Stand Pro, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by some1 View Post
                  I have to add my voice to the opinion that the new forum is a huge step back in usability. What I miss the most is the high level view of the new topics and unread posts like the old forum had.
                  This! And where is the "mark forums read" button??

Comment

Hmm, I can't find how to edit signatures ... even with the small font the signature is taller than it should be IMO, the space between lines is ridicolously big right now, signatures are fine if they're not too big.
                    Actually the font seems to visually be smaller but the borders are still big ... tho it could be browser specific, I'll do more tests, but I'm currently so busy with other stuff again, pulled the trigger on a new PC this week, but DCS for me is still months away.

We need to get some serious community effort into this, especially the themes, should be as if we're developing a module or something, so I would say that the staff should not rush out some fixes only for it to not be enough and milktoast so let's just sit down and do it right no need to run around in circles, I don't want to dramatize, but I want to say right now sooner rather than later that it definitely has a big effect on how much I'll be tempted to visit the site IMO, it's a huge psychological factor the way the site navigates and feels, flows and all that.

I would be fine taking the time helping this place get sorted out before I get back into DCS in a couple of months, probably past january 2021 because I'll wait to see how ZEN3 prices go, I didn't pull the trigger on a proper CPU just yet, if prices fall maybe I'll get a 16 core, we'll see.
                    Last edited 10-22-2020, 10:02 AM.
                    Temporairly off for PC Maintenance and hiatus - DCS not installed - Specs may change
                    Primary PC Specs Placeholder: Win10 x64 1607/14393, 1440p@75"32 - CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.0GHz - GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB - RAM: 32 GB, DCS SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.
                    Secondary PC Specs Placeholder:
                    Modules: A-10C II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP.
                    Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Comment

My beautiful sigpic, Gone , Wherefore art thou?
                      MODULES: A10C Warthog,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39 Albatros,Mirage2000C,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.
                      OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.
                      TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria.

Comment

Just noticed another inconvenience. When going to page 2+ on any forum that has stickies, the stickies will be listed there on every page, cluttering the page. Not 100% sure if that was the case before, but I think the regular thread count visible was bigger, like 20 or even 30 instead of just 10. Anyway it would be preferrable to hide the stickies from consecutive pages. It's good enough to have them on the first one.

Comment

The new forum is better on mobile but a step back on desktop.
                          4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Fox View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	New forum.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.6 KB ID:	7111964

Click image for larger version Name:	New forum 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	7111965

[ Wall of text ]

I'm writing all this to give folks a bit of insight of how things work technically regarding our forums and with that help folks push their criticism the right way.

Simply shitstorming "revert to old forums" won't do it, that's a dead end. If you read all above you certainly understand and agree. Give ED a helping hand and qualify what's missing. You don't have to be a webjockey for that and use leet lingo, take a pic of what's wrong and explain what you'd expect instead.
                            Since lots of folks hate the look and feel, i thought i visualize where this most probably comes from. Again, this isn't meant to hate but help ED and everyone to qualify what's wrong and maybe how to fix it.

Took the "DCS World 2.5" sub-forum and drew lines along where different content starts and where they hit other content. It's the lines our eyes have to follow/jump between while reading/looking for content.
                            As one can clearly see, the eyes got to jump around a lot and that's something our brain really does not like. I don't know for sure but i assume it's because the first other (evolutionary) association for that rapid jumping kind of eye movement is being on alert/looking for a predator. Your eyes are simply everywhere in these moments and i guess that's why looking at this design is making folks feel so uncomfortable. It's restless, uneasy and resembling stressful situations.

Things i ignored here are the long sub-forum name breaking the column resulting in overflow content resulting in line break. Also elements naturally being dynamic in their appearance like navigation and breadcrumbs. These are hard to fit into width fixed columns without breaking them into several lines. But they are no issue usually when the remaining content is structures well. Some dynamic dashes are the pinch of salt.

Problems here are (incomplete list):
                            • There's way too many lines.Way too many. No clear structure in general.
                            • Inconsistent spacing.
                            • Sub-forums column design breaking the general used line design.
                            • Lines being interrupted/crashing content, especially horizontally.
                            • Lack of visual guidelines horizontally as well as vertically which would make it easier for the eyes to stay on content.
                            If i feel like later or tomorrow, i guess i'll fire up my graphics software of choice and visualize how things could be done better maybe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Forum Alleys.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	7114231
                            This here could be a signature picture. Could.

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit)
                            TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals

Wishlist: Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM | CH-53 variant (preferably MH-53 Pave Low)

Comment

Originally posted by Dav IRL View Post
                              The new forum is better on mobile but a step back on desktop.
                              Can absolutely agree here. The design is really geared towards mobile use, which is okay looking at many folks in general surfing mobile these days. Reading mobile on the old forums really was a pita and is way better now. (yep, it's not all bad )

The issue is it's trying to use the same approach to display content on desktops, where you got way more space available. Situation pretty much flipped compared to the old design, where mobile users got all the desktop content stuffed on a small display.

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 16 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | Win 10 (64-bit)

Wishlist: Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | DCS level Su-25A or SM | CH-53 variant (preferably MH-53 Pave Low)

Comment

To add: there is no option to multi-quote afaik (did insert the second quote manually above) and also no link to jump to the quoted post, which makes finding the quoted post (reading full post if just partially quoted, learn context the quote was made, lots of uses for a jump to quote link) hard in longer threads.

Comment

I need bigger text, I changed the Theme/Style on mine to denim (better than default IMO), but the tiny* text is very hard on my old eyes... I use Desktop. I understand about when forums need updated. Hopefully, in time with the powers that be, it will all be set right.
                                  ASUS Z107 Pro Gaming
                                  Intel i5-6600 3.300/Turbo 3.900 GHZ
                                  G.Skill DDR4 ram 32 GB
                                  EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI 11GB Video Graphics
                                  46" Samsung LCD HDTV
                                  Win10 pro x64
                                  Samsung 1TB M.2 2280 SSD
                                  Thrustmaster WartHog HOTAS, CH Pedals

Comment

Since lots of folks hate the look and feel, i thought i visualize where this most probably comes from. Again, this isn't meant to hate but help ED and everyone to qualify what's wrong and maybe how to fix it.

Problems here are (incomplete list):
                                    • There's way too many lines.Way too many. No clear structure in general.
                                    • Inconsistent spacing.
                                    • Sub-forums column design breaking the general used line design.
                                    • Lines being interrupted/crashing content, especially horizontally.
                                    • Lack of visual guidelines horizontally as well as vertically which would make it easier for the eyes to stay on content.
                                    If i feel like later or tomorrow, i guess i'll fire up my graphics software of choice and visualize how things could be done better maybe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Forum Alleys.jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.1 KB ID:	7114231
                                    That's a good analysis of the layout issues. It's incoherent at present.

Nate
                                    Ka-50 AutoPilot/stabilisation system description and operation by IvanK- Essential Reading

Comment

I don’t mind the new forum I just don’t like the way it looks. If they can change that a bit more towards the old format it would be good
                                      sigpic

Comment

is this a Joke ? Or is it a construction site? I don't feel comfortable when I have to see this. Everything looks somehow worse, even on a 32" Monitor. ????

Comment

Is this a permanent change? It is horrible.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X