Dumb newbie question...

burncpt

Hi Guys!

Completely new to DCS and have been flying the TF-51 around getting used to the game. I downloaded the Channel map but I can't find any way of actually using it as a base for practising flying before I get into the game proper. Mission generators just say "no airfields near the selected node" or other error messages or just quit back to the menu. Do I need to buy/download more paid content just to use it in the game? IRL I live right next to Hawkinge airfield so it would be pretty nice to use that as a base.

Cheers!

You don't need to buy/download other content (or it must be the WW2 assets pack for the Channel map but i guess not).

I don't own the Channel map but i just tried the TF-51D on Caucasus and Persian Gulf map, missions are generated just fine when using the mission generator.

What about instant action (i have standard missions there for the TF-51D on the Caucasus (you should have these too since it comes with the basic game), Persian Gulf and Nevada map, the Syria map has none)?

What about the Mission Editor and create your own mission (not through the mission generator in the Mission Editor) ?

Edited by Lange_666
typo

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

..Mission generators just say "no airfields near the selected node"..

I haven't got the Channel map yet, but why don't you simply place a plane on it in the editor then start the mission, because you don't need an airfield to just fly around..:)

i do it all the time on the Caucasus/Persian/Syrian maps, and I don't know what you mean by "nodes".

and I don't know what you mean by "nodes".

If you go into the Mission Editor and then in the Mission Generator dropdown menu, you have "nodes" (greyed out) on the second line. What they do or mean... no clue either.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I have heard there are some issues with the mission generator for the Channel map, although I'm not sure as I don't own the channel map myself.

If you just want to casually fly through the map, you can just use the mission editor to put a plane down at Hawkinge airfield (or wherever you want) and fly. No need for the mission generator.

Another advice: When you open threads like this, give them topic names that actually say what this thread is about, so that people that are familiar with the issue at hand (channel map / mission generator) see that this is a thread were they could contribute. "Dumb newbie question" doesn't say anything and just gets ignored by many people. In other words: Your question isn't dumb at all, but the thread title is ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg