VR+Huey+NVGs

Guile

I'll be getting a VR headset soon and was thinking about doing night missions with the Huey under NVGs.

Does anybody here have some experience with this setup? How is the night vision displayed in VR? Would you see two green circles (as it should be) or would the entire field of view turn green?

Thank you in advance!

▀▄▀▄▀▄ DCS: Air Assault Operations ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

Not sure if you're supposed to see two green circles - NVG shows up in both eyes - but not the full screen - as a single circular shape (think like looking through binoculars - even though in the 'movies' they show the typical binocular view - in real life you see the image as a single circle even though you're looking through 2 separate lenses).

NVG works fine in the Huey and doesn't show the full image green. I'm not a fan of night vision in VR - I find it strains my eyes a little too much after a while - but I'm only a new player when it comes to VR and maybe I need to allow my eyes/brain to adjust more first.

Never wore NVG in real life so can't comment on the parallel though.

Thanks for your input. Yeah normally (IRL) with NVGs you have a reduced field of view, and depending on what's around you i.e. cockpit panel lights, ambient light, etc you may see additional things with your peripheral vision. Wanted to see how DCS implemented night vision with VR, hopefully it's not too weird, but it still may need some adjusting to it. Thanks!

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

• 3 weeks later...
Great, didn't even realize that was possible. Now all I need is for the G2 to here here :) thank you all.

Guile, because I care brother and possibly because tonight I am drinking margaritas, slightly intoxicated, and read this post, I decided to create a video flying the Huey in VR for you...........AFTER DARK using NODS. Give the video a little time, I took you on a short tour over Syria while I was waiting on the sun to go down more.

I use a Pimax 8K VR. I hope you appreciate the choice of music. It will show my age, however, if you do not know EVERY song in this video, you are not allowed to buy the Huey until you watch every movie. You will respect the Huey more afterwards. Also, I think towards the end there was a minor glitch in the sim. I seem to have got a bright spot in game on my NODS. Not sure why, but it does that every once in a while.

I also have another video on my YouTube channel flying the MI8 after dark as well. The night vision on it is different and bad ass! Hope this fires you up for your VR experience. The Hog was the first module I flew in VR. I have not taken the headset off since and will fly DCS no other way. COMPLETELY worth every expensive penny you drop. Wait till you start running carrier ops. LOVE IT!!!!! Can not wait for the Kiowa and Hind either. Us helo boys are ready for a bigger hangar with a wider variety.

Guile, because I care brother and possibly because tonight I am drinking margaritas, slightly intoxicated, and read this post, I decided to create a video flying the Huey in VR for you...........AFTER DARK using NODS. Give the video a little time, I took you on a short tour over Syria while I was waiting on the sun to go down more.

I use a Pimax 8K VR. I hope you appreciate the choice of music. It will show my age, however, if you do not know EVERY song in this video, you are not allowed to buy the Huey until you watch every movie. You will respect the Huey more afterwards. Also, I think towards the end there was a minor glitch in the sim. I seem to have got a bright spot in game on my NODS. Not sure why, but it does that every once in a while.

I also have another video on my YouTube channel flying the MI8 after dark as well. The night vision on it is different and bad ass! Hope this fires you up for your VR experience. The Hog was the first module I flew in VR. I have not taken the headset off since and will fly DCS no other way. COMPLETELY worth every expensive penny you drop. Wait till you start running carrier ops. LOVE IT!!!!! Can not wait for the Kiowa and Hind either. Us helo boys are ready for a bigger hangar with a wider variety.

THIS IS GREAT! I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!

this is ridiculously fun. Im sorry I just noticed the reply. The Pimax 8k seems awesome, what video card are you pairing it with?

great choice of music. I am not delta force old, just delta force 2: colombian connection old. was born there too haha. But still im familiar with the music you picked, great theme songs man.

thanks for showing me around in the huey, thats exactly what I wanted to see, and including the map interface. always wondered how it would look. whats behind the map, a hangar? haha thats weird, but it works.

yeah whats with the bright spot? thats an operational defect, grab the backup set haha. cant wait for my headset to arrive.

good choice of drinks too, margaritas are awesome. I hope it was homemade. its worth the trouble!

im gonna share your video in my server for our guys to see. thank you very much!

and yes we need more helos. I can only dream about the day we get the Black Hawk, but for now the kiowa and hind will do just fine!

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

Guile,

Really glad you liked the video brother. My video card I am running is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti on an Intel i9-9900K. 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 Dominator Platinum RGB ram. 885GB SSD. Primarily all DCS. I have all the modules and run Open Beta only.

I will make another video soon with the Huey including the map interface a little more. The hangar is the backdrop in the VR menu. It would be cool if they implemented something different in game. You can go to my channel and check out my F-14 landings on the Super Carrier in VR. I use the kneepad to look at LSO grades. It is a really cool function in VR Heatblur has implemented.

Not a 100% sure what the bright spot is in the NVG's. It appeared after I opened up the map and then closed it. Does not happen often but I think it is a bug in game. Either way, it is not a huge deal.

Feel free to share any of my videos on your server. I am in this for fun and want to promote DCS to as many people as possible (I do not work for ED or any third party). Just love the hell out of this sim. It is what I dreamed of as a kid and my dream just keeps getting better every year. Have to spread the good times.

Here is a quick video doing a frigate landing in VR with the Huey. It is a blast.

You honestly cannot go wrong with any of them. I am a Navy guy myself so I spend most of my time in the Tomcat or Hornet. If not those two then any of the WW2 birds. F-16 is fantastic but I need ALOT more practice on air to air refueling. Black Shark is still the best combat helo until the Hind is released Q1 of next year. I have to give love to the Gazelle though because I grew up around her. Love that module. GREAT in VR. Huey is still my favorite helo so far until the Cobra makes the scene. We have some big contenders coming to the show soon. F-15E, Eurofighter, Apache, A-7 Corsair, F-8 Crusader. My dream plane hopefully will hit next year, the F-4U Corsair. Grew up around 6 of them and watched them fly as a kid all the time. DCS is where it is at. No sim rivals it in my opinion. Hands down best combat/study flight sim available. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the modules or would like me to take one for a run in VR and post a video for you.

You honestly cannot go wrong with any of them. I am a Navy guy myself so I spend most of my time in the Tomcat or Hornet. If not those two then any of the WW2 birds. F-16 is fantastic but I need ALOT more practice on air to air refueling. Black Shark is still the best combat helo until the Hind is released Q1 of next year. I have to give love to the Gazelle though because I grew up around her. Love that module. GREAT in VR. Huey is still my favorite helo so far until the Cobra makes the scene. We have some big contenders coming to the show soon. F-15E, Eurofighter, Apache, A-7 Corsair, F-8 Crusader. My dream plane hopefully will hit next year, the F-4U Corsair. Grew up around 6 of them and watched them fly as a kid all the time. DCS is where it is at. No sim rivals it in my opinion. Hands down best combat/study flight sim available. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the modules or would like me to take one for a run in VR and post a video for you.

oh man yeah I really want to get one of the WW2 aircraft. perhaps in the near future, so we can do bomb raids and such. yeah about the new aircraft, I really hope they come out great, kinda sad they are making the Apache without the Black Hawk, these two are such a classic pair, would bring DCS rotary wing operations forward 20+ years. But still, plenty to look forward to!

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel

oh man yeah I really want to get one of the WW2 aircraft. perhaps in the near future, so we can do bomb raids and such. yeah about the new aircraft, I really hope they come out great, kinda sad they are making the Apache without the Black Hawk, these two are such a classic pair, would bring DCS rotary wing operations forward 20+ years. But still, plenty to look forward to!

Guile I did a short VR video for you and your boys. It is not really demonstrating much. Just showing you what each cockpit looks like in all the DCS WW2 birds. Gives you an idea of the office space in each bird and maybe help you decide which one you would like to start with first in VR. I have to say, I am partial to the Mustang and Spit. I LOVE the Jug but have a hard time getting over the P-51 and Spitfire. This will not be the case when the F-4U Comes out. I grew up around 6 Whistling Deaths and watched them fly all the time over my Grandfathers house. She is and always will be my first Crush. I just hope she is done correctly. You will be seeing a lot of videos on her when she is finally released.

For anyone reading this, my FPS is not bad in game with the PIMAX VR. It runs decent on the highest settings but ED has a ways to go before VR is where it needs to be. I am really hoping Vulcan will help in this department when it is released. The VR videos I upload appear choppier than they really do in game. I have not found a way around this when recording or uploading. I will still play no other way though. Once you play in VR, DCS is not the same any other way. I cannot recommend it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great! thank you. they all look mesmerizing. I have always been a fan of German engineering. all the Messerschmidt awesome. I noticed the engine noise in the Thunderbolt was a little bit lower. Does the engine/prop noise add to your fatigue while flying at all? I usually lower the noise a lot in game but in IRL I have to use double ear protection and I can still hear the the engines and rotors and I'm slowly loosing my hearing haha. I noticed that you can see the the pilot's hands on the controls in the Mustang (one of my favorites btw) and in the Spitfire, I thought that was really cool. Thank you for taking the time to put this together, I will share it and hopefully we could start doing some WW2 stuff once I get my VR headset!

Join the fight!

YouTube Channel