No announcement yet.

Usability in the training missions is just horrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be misunderstanding the issue, but if I have edited a mission, and don't want it to be saved amongst all the other missions in my Saved Games folder as you are describing, I create a new folder in explorer so I would then look in "My missions\Campaigns" and see a list of folders that I have created - one for each aircraft if necessary. I admit, that it would be a tiny bit easier if the save dialog in the ME allowed you to create folders though.
    Last edited 10-22-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz1004 View Post

Thanks but "missionPath" is already pointing to my Saved Games. What I'm looking for is if I click Ka-50 on the left pane under Campaigns for example, I want the list of campaigns that shows up to point at my Saved Games campaigns. Right now, they point to \DCS\Mods\aircraft\Ka-50\Missions\

It will point to Saved Games if I click on "My Campaigns" but it lists all my campaigns regardless of aircraft type.
      The module icons on the left point directly into the module mission folder, so if you want to sort your campaigns through the icons you have to place the downloaded missions and campaigns directly into the specified module folder. The My Campaigns icon just lists everything you downloaded into the saved games folder. I created a folder for every campaign which starts with the module title and then the campaign name as a workaround.
      Just a tip if you download some updated original campaigns from MadDog-IC put it in the My Campaigns folder because if you put it in the module folder you have 2 identical campaign names and can't really figure out which ones the updated one.
      Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, TM T-16000 FCS FLIGHT PACK, MS FFB2, JETSEAT TURBOJET, DELAN CLIP FUSION

Modules:A10C, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
      https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

Comment

Originally posted by erniedaoage View Post

The module icons on the left point directly into the module mission folder, so if you want to sort your campaigns through the icons you have to place the downloaded missions and campaigns directly into the specified module folder.
        If I do that, would they be deleted during repair and update?

Originally posted by mkiii View Post
        I might be misunderstanding the issue, but if I have edited a mission, and don't want it to be saved amongst all the other missions in my Saved Games folder as you are describing, I create a new folder in explorer so I would then look in "My missions\Campaigns" and see a list of folders that I have created - one for each aircraft if necessary. I admit, that it would be a tiny bit easier if the save dialog in the ME allowed you to create folders though.
        My missions/Campaigns? You mean /Saved Games/Missions/Campaigns/en/?
        I created separate folders for each module campaigns in there but they all show up mixed together in the game's My Campaign.

Or were you suggesting I put the custom campaigns under Missions instead of My Campaigns? Because I do see folders inside My Missions. But not in My Campaigns.

Thanks for replying.
        Last edited 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

If I do that, would they be deleted during repair and update?
          I have to say i don't know for sure, it was 2-3 years ago when i messed around with it. BUT i still have a user made campaign in my m-2000 folder there since 2018 and i believe i have at least done one repair in 2 years. Updates don't do anything to the campaign so far, except if you have downloaded updated campaigns from maddoc-ic from the userfiles and overwrite the original campaign files. I believe they get updated when ED fix those missions themselves.

Another idea to sort your campaigns in the my campaigns icon would be that you edit every .cmp file from every campaign you have and give it a suitable naming. Module-Campaign title whatever but its a bit of a task because you have to edit every .cmp file and change the name there.
          Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, TM T-16000 FCS FLIGHT PACK, MS FFB2, JETSEAT TURBOJET, DELAN CLIP FUSION

Modules:A10C, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
          https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

Comment

My missions/Campaigns? You mean /Saved Games/Missions/Campaigns/en/?
            I created separate folders for each module campaigns in there but they all show up mixed together in the game's My Campaign.

Or were you suggesting I put the custom campaigns under Missions instead of My Campaigns? Because I do see folders inside My Missions. But not in My Campaigns.

Thanks for replying.
            What I meant was "My Missions" as shown in the Folder Browser on the LH side (assuming you have it turned on). This points to Saved Games\DCS\Missions\ Inside my setup, is a folder named Campaigns - perhaps we have different setups?
            So select Campaigns from the Right hand list and place the file you are saving in there, where you have previously created a folder specific to your aircraft. EG Saved Games\DCS\Missions\ Campaigns\A-10c or Saved Games\DCS\Missions\ \Campaigns\AJS37\
            I suppose you could put these in anywhere you like, but you have to make the individual folders yourself. I'm certainly not talking about the install folder, just emulating the Campaigns folder there.

Comment

Originally posted by mkiii View Post

What I meant was "My Missions" as shown in the Folder Browser on the LH side (assuming you have it turned on). This points to Saved Games\DCS\Missions\ Inside my setup, is a folder named Campaigns - perhaps we have different setups?
              So select Campaigns from the Right hand list and place the file you are saving in there, where you have previously created a folder specific to your aircraft. EG Saved Games\DCS\Missions\ Campaigns\A-10c or Saved Games\DCS\Missions\ \Campaigns\AJS37\
              I suppose you could put these in anywhere you like, but you have to make the individual folders yourself. I'm certainly not talking about the install folder, just emulating the Campaigns folder there.
              Yes and as I said, if I do as your example, A-10c campaign and AJS37 campaign will show up together within the game under My Campaigns. Ignoring the separate directory I created. Are you saying this doesn't happen on your end?

For few modules which have same GOW campaign name, this gets confusing. I can do what was suggested and change names of each campaign but I'm looking for better solution.

And erniedaoage's suggestion has issues too. If I put them in main directory under each module's mission, same campaign shows up twice. One official, and one modified by me.

What I'm looking to do is modify the official campaigns. And access them just like you would access the official campaigns. And also have them survive the repairs and updates. I thought I could achieve this simply by changing the path of where the game looks for official campaigns.

Comment

I don't know what to say to you chap. we are clearly at crossed purposes. I was talking about individual mission files, so yes - campaigns do need to be in the en folder, and yes - they will be listed together, but don't you name them so there is no confusion? I guess one answer is to use OvGME and just create correctly named copies and mod them into the DCS campaign folder. Or use erniedaoage advice, and do the renaming - AFAIK, you can't just move them. You are probably going to get the answers you want by asking in a dedicated thread though, where there are more people who have to use modified campaign files, since this one was about Tutorial missions.

Comment

I agree with the basic gripes about the training missions, additionally sometimes you can foobar something so that a control hook is missed and then you need to restart and do it over hoping that you do not screw it up again. It would be nice if eagle dynamics would create downloadable missions, maps and brief html and tranining missions that were also kept up to date. Sure everyone says, create your own but for me at this point that is yet another learning curve that I dont want to undertake until I have some combat pilot chops.

Also I should add that it would be nice if eagle dynamics had a specific youtube channel that had the most current training videos and kept them up to date. Third party stuff is great but you never know if you are seeing something that is current, correct, and not outdated. It can be quite frustrating to watch a ton of vids on the same subject becuase as a newbie you dont know if you did it wrong or the video is just out of date.

BTW overall I love DCS. It is currently the only game I play and I spend a good deal of time doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by himilou View Post
                    Also I should add that it would be nice if eagle dynamics had a specific youtube channel that had the most current training videos and kept them up to date.
                    They do

https://www.youtube.com/c/MattWagner
                    Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | LG 32UD99-W UHD Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X