dlce's hot A-10C tips!

D4n

Posting here with his permission.

From BlueFlag member dIce (on Discord dice#5183)

Tip #1: Fuel

reduce the fuel load to 30 or 40% and don't get too ambitious with your loadout. Keep her light to have a fighting chance.

Tip #2: Loadout 1/2

The ecm pod is dead weight, load 4x aim9m.

Tip #3: Loadout 2/2

no TGP, unnecessary weight and drag, use the Mav seeker to designate mark points for gps weapons, flying high with LGB ordinance will likely get you killed by sturdyguns#0965 or his squad mates.

Tip#4: controlling

learn to use the mouse with your left hand (applies to all FF modules) and place the mouse left of your throttle controlller. This allows you to keep the right hand on the stick at all times were it belongs.

Tip #5: fastest startup

Reduce your ramp start INS alignment time by several minutes. Soon as the CDU finishes the BIT and comes online, open the INS page (bottom right LSK). Then press Alt Align (LSK near the top left) then press Fast (LSK near the top right) but not until there is an * to the right side (might take 2 seconds or so). It's important to do these steps immediately after the CDU finishes its BIT because it will begin Ground align by default in about 30 seconds or so.

Tip #6: HUD

Reduce HUD brightness using the UFC rocker labeled INTEN (intensity). I typically reduce it 5 steps, making the symbology sharper and much less opaque. This particularly helps to more clearly see ground targets masked by the pipper during CCIP delivery.

Tip #7: RWR

Short of SRS communication with a skilled GCI (we do have some really good ones...thx gents) the RWR is your greatest tool for survival. ABSOLUTELY dim the display as part of your ramp start routine (as low as you can tolerate) to sharpen the symbology. Also filter out low threat emitters (click the PRI button on the CMSC panel) to reduce clutter...unless hunting a player placed EWR. The A10c RWR will help you determine the emitter's range. Do some single player homework in the Mission Editor to learn at what range a particular enemy fighter's nails begins to move inward from the outer most ring. Write it down. At what range it is centered over the middle ring. Write it down. And the range it finally makes contact with the inner most ring and stops moving inward. Write that down as well. At that point you will be searching for a tally. You will find the SU-27 and J11 share the same distance figures while a Mig 29 will be at a lesser distance (weaker radar signal) in each case, yet all three are a 29 type symbol. This technique works great for M2k as well, but becomes a bitch with the F16, JF17 and particularly the F14, I assume due to the latter's Pulse and Pulse Doppler modes.

Tip #8: CMs

Adjust countermeasure profiles either during ramp start or by editing a LUA file (Google that). I learned the importance of this observing @YAGA (BlueFlag discord) rollin' out flares like toilet paper in his J11 (prior to the Covid19 great buttwipe famine) and decided to tweak my Hawg' s CM dispensary. I now change profile E to dispense 4 chaff, 4 flares at .25 sec intervals 5 sequences. times. This is the cover my ass profile that I ALWAYS select at take off. I also alter the F profile to dispense 4 chaff (no flares) at .25 sec intervals 5 sequences, I switch to this when I'm certain a radar guided a2a is inbound, then revert back to E prior to the merge and always cut thottle in conjuction with dispensing E. The stock C profile (sh*t ton of flares) is a good choice when attacking FARPS or once airfields only have SHORAD defenses remaining. Cut throttle here as well.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

agree with most except #3

The 10C suite we have is built around the TGP. It's one of the most vital piece of hardware on the hog.

But he does have a point about flying high but is only really relevant to airquake servers.

In reality an A10C would be fllying 20-30K using the TGP in an area that has air superiority and little to no SAM coverage.

Back in the days of Fox 1 and 2 servers the A10C was a must have. Today in most servers (except some of the PvE) the A10C takes a back seat to multi-role fighters. It's a shame. If there were dynamic Fox2 server I'd spend almost 99% of my time on them.

Daniel, are you now a Hog pilot?????

Daniel, are you now a Hog pilot?????

No lol! But I see WAY too many Hornets+Vipers on servers currently and I enjoy way more to fly in my Harrier in formation with one or several Hogs! :D

It was just my idea to dIce to post his tips in this forum section, that was all. (originally he posted those tips in the BlueFlag discord)

Back in the days of Fox 1 and 2 servers the A10C was a must have. Today in most servers (except some of the PvE) the A10C takes a back seat to multi-role fighters. It's a shame. If there were dynamic Fox2 server I'd spend almost 99% of my time on them.

yes sadly ED's decision to not allow AIM-7s on F-16CM Blk 50 ruins our potential to have F-16 as capable A2A platform on Fox1+2-only-servers.

Hope dIce replies here soon onto the other things you mentioned.

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

yes sadly ED's decision to not allow AIM-7s on F-16CM Blk 50 ruins our potential to have F-16 as capable A2A platform on Fox1+2-only-servers.

Totally agree! makes no sense. Even if it wasn't carried on the on the Blk 50 you just can't leave it out in DCS. I hope they rethink that decision. Not all modules in game have the same loadouts or even systems as IRL. why leave this out. mind boggling omission!

These are just tips. #3 is derived from my experience flying BF PG in its current state. If our team has air superiority then that certainly makes the TGP a viable option. The point of my tip is to point out another possibility many might not have even considered. If the TGP could be jettisoned when fighting for survival alone against a enemy fighter, then I would carry it in many situations.

dIce